Studios Central: Cars Land Coming to DHS? - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cars Land Coming to DHS?

#1 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

A few rumors are floating around the Internet about a future Cars Land coming to DHS where LMA is now and possibly consuming the Backlot Tour. Just wondering what everyone else thought.

2 things work against this rumor.

Bob Igor was quoted saying Disney just spent 6 billion dollars on DCL and the theme parks. Domestic theme park spending would be slowing down in the future.

Adding a Cars Land on the east coast could impact the gate at DCA. If a new land were to come to DHS it probably wouldn't be in the form of Cars Land. Keeping lands unique would seem like the best idea in the interest of park attendance. Of course, lands in the Magic Kingdom have been cloned (Disneyland/WDW) and it seems to have worked out ok.

If a Cars Land was built at DHS the turnstiles would be spinning much faster for sure.

#2 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

While I would love to see Cars Land at DHS, I'm guessing the AK Avatar land and the MK Fantasyland expansion have pretty much chewed up the WDW budget funds for the next few years, anyway.

That being said, given how much real estate BLT & LMA take up in total, it's possible the suits might be discussing cloning Cars Land (less expensive than creating something new) to maximize turnstile spins. I would miss both BLT & LMA but also won't be unhappy if something cool like Cars Land replaces them.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#3 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostHDLady, on 02 August 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

While I would love to see Cars Land at DHS, I'm guessing the AK Avatar land and the MK Fantasyland expansion have pretty much chewed up the WDW budget funds for the next few years, anyway.

That being said, given how much real estate BLT & LMA take up in total, it's possible the suits might be discussing cloning Cars Land (less expensive than creating something new) to maximize turnstile spins. I would miss both BLT & LMA but also won't be unhappy if something cool like Cars Land replaces them.

To be honest I wouldnt miss eith BLT or LMA
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#4 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

Cars Land would be a bit of stretch. I already find TSMM to be pushing the boundaries of theming for the park.

#5 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

If they would add Carsland, I can't think of anywhere they'd put it except the studios. Especially with mk just expanding so much.

#6 User is offline   Pipper011 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

I really don't think Disney will put a Cars land at the studios. Simply because of test track. The cars ride uses the same track & vehicles plus test track has gone into a major rehab this year. Also since we're talking about similar rides, since dinosaur and Indy use the same vehicles that's the reason or should I say the excuse that I get of a Indy ride at Disney world.

#7 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Maybe I just don't know how things work but I'd assume GM would be pretty pissed if they finally ponied up the of money to update Test Track only to have Disney one-up it a couple of years down the line. Their sponsorship has always kinda been wishy-washy and I'd assume if Disney did anything to lessen Test Track's popularity among WDW visitors that GM would drop sponsorship ASAP.

As for BLT and LMA, I'd miss BLT but NOT LMA. LMA is too generic for me and takes up WAY too much space (look at a satellite view and see just how much bigger it is then Indy). I'd love to see LMA removed and a couple of new show scenes added in it's place. Look at how much King Kong 360 has boosted the popularity of Universal's tram tour. A Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit scene or the tram entering Muppet Studios sound stages (basically incorporating the old Great Muppet Movie Ride concept into the tour) would do wonders.

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Seeing is believing...

#9 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Golf, Disney (duh)

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

I suppose it is possible, the Studios still need a lot of TLC. But as others have said, with the FL expansion still ongoing, Avatarland supposedly on the horizon, and Iger's statement that capital spending in the parks will be slowing, it would seem that something of this scale would not be coming anytime soon.

That said, I think Disney's parks, particularly in WDW, DO need a lot of capital investment. Epcot and the Studios are both stagnating, and along with AK, are still underbuilt.

I can't say that I'm a big fan of cloning attractions like this, never mind entire lands. I know they are trying to save money and also aren't confident they can come up with a lot of unique winning attractions. But still, they SHOULD be willing to try. DCA and the Studios are growing more and more similar all the time, which I don't think is a positive. On the other hand, that could lend some credence to the rumor. They both already have ToT, TSM, Muppets, Disney Junior, Animation attractions, and now remarkably similar entrances.

#10 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Oh, and I just wanted to add that it's still too soon to really judge how big a hit Carsland is, or more to the point, how big it will be in the years ahead. From what I can tell they do have a hit, but we really aren't going to know how big of one until the dust settles.

#11 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostMatt Hart, on 20 August 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Oh, and I just wanted to add that it's still too soon to really judge how big a hit Carsland is, or more to the point, how big it will be in the years ahead. From what I can tell they do have a hit, but we really aren't going to know how big of one until the dust settles.

Yeah, but so far it has exceeded expectations
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#12 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

In my opinion, giving WDW a clone of every popular DCA attraction (Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, The Little Mermaid ride, and possibly Carsland) makes it much more difficult to establish the DLR as a resort destination in and of itself. From what I've read, Disney is absolutely intent on keeping World of Color unique to DCA, even vetoing Tokyo's requests to get World of Color like ideas in their Fantasmic.

I'm all for expansion and new additions to DHS especially, but would rather they be new additions instead of clones that are helping to shore DCA up.

#13 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostMJMcBride, on 20 August 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

Yeah, but so far it has exceeded expectations

We're not really sure what their expectations were. Everything I read in advance of the opening indicated they expected a flood of people at least through the summer. They anticipated significant parking problems.

This is a case where the difference between DLR vs. WDW is really highlighted. With more of DLR's base being local, a significant new addition with strong marketing is going to bring everybody out right away. Reports are that DLR has over 1 million annual passholders. With WDW's base being more spread out over the country and internationally, the initial rush is also going to be more spread out. Still a rush mind you, but generally not of the kind you would see at DLR.

So we can't look at the crowds Carsland is attracting today and assume it is because people think it's the greatest thing since Pirates.

Further, even if we do assume Carsland is exceeding expectations so far, you don't base long term capital decisions on short term information. At least you don't if you want to make GOOD long term capital decisions.

All of this is not to say I know what Disney is going to do, and what criteria they may or may not have in place to determine if Carsland (or anything else) will come to The Studios. I'm only pointing out what they should be thinking, based on their current business philosophies. Philosophies which I do not completely agree with, not that they need my approval.

#14 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

View PostSleepless Knight, on 20 August 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

In my opinion, giving WDW a clone of every popular DCA attraction (Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, The Little Mermaid ride, and possibly Carsland) makes it much more difficult to establish the DLR as a resort destination in and of itself.

I agree.

#15 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

An interesting add-on article to this rumor. October 1st starts Disney's new fiscal year. It's pretty common for them to make big theme park/resort announcements around October 1st. One can only hope.
http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9719

#16 User is offline   loveWDW5 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Disney, roller coasters, NASCAR, reading

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

To be completely honest, I wouldn't like seeing Cars Land at DHS. I think it should stay unique to DCA. And they should bring something unique to the Studios. Plus, to me it doesn't make sense in FL...I mean Rte 66 is in California isn't it? :)

#17 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostloveWDW5, on 31 August 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

To be completely honest, I wouldn't like seeing Cars Land at DHS. I think it should stay unique to DCA. And they should bring something unique to the Studios. Plus, to me it doesn't make sense in FL...I mean Rte 66 is in California isn't it? :)

I agree. I am sort of hestitant of each coast having the same thing. Besides, if every disney resort area gets Carsland that might hurt the bottom line of DCA. Another reason they might keep the World of Color away
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#18 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

View PostMatt Hart, on 22 August 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

We're not really sure what their expectations were. Everything I read in advance of the opening indicated they expected a flood of people at least through the summer. They anticipated significant parking problems.

What I read was Disney expected 5,000 to 8,000 what they got was more than twice that, and Disneyland has actually seen a decrease in attendance
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#19 User is offline   Master Gracey 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

Considering the ride is a lot like test track I doubt it. Some Disney parks do have unique rides. The cost of this ride is very expensive and shocked they even built another one similar.

#20 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

If this rumor is true it could push the rumored Cars Land project at DHS to the front burner. Disney is not going to wait until 2016 for Avatarland to be built as an answer to Potter. they'll need something sooner than that....And the new Fantasyland is not the answer to Potter.
http://www.ign.com/a...t-fourth-avatar

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users