Studios Central: Anyone done the Give a Day Get a Disney Day? - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone done the Give a Day Get a Disney Day?

#1 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

Just signed up to volunteer at an event "American Diabetes Association - Tour de Cure Event” by Lake Nona. Has anyone taken advantage of this program? I'm not getting the free tickets because we have AP, we'll probably get one of the figurines with pins and donate the other tickets, but the rest of my family who don't have AP are getting the Tickets.
How long after the event is over do they send out the email? anyone know?
BTW the still need about 70 volunteers for this event. It's for Feb 28 and it's basically for cheering on, sign up and clean up.
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#2 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

I used to volunteer at this comic book museum called The Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art right here in New York City, and was thinking of going back in honor of the Give a Day Get a Disney Day, but when I checked Disney's site, MoCCA wasn't listed as one of the volunteer opportunities. I call FUBAR!
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

Good for you Yulady for volunteering!

#4 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

Not happy with this promotion to be honest. I volunteer many many many hours every week to different organizations (Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, PTA, fundraising etc, people call me a "professional volunteer" LOL). I spend more time doing all this than I would at a full-time job and have no weekends off. None of them qualify for this.

I checked the site and the nearest thing to me is in Brooklyn...way too far away and there is nothing for my kids to do anywhere. Oh wait, there is one event near me....directing parking for a girl scout event that I will be spending all day at "working" with the kids. I won't get credit for it but people who sign up for 1 day & never do another thing for scouts will. Yep...I'm annoyed! :(

We're AP holders too so it would have been nice to use the 1 day tickets towards our renewals.

I think it said on the site it could take up to 10 weeks to get the voucher after the event.

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

I agree Kim that the list of approved places to volunteer is far too restrictive. Here is a great example of Disney outsourcing too much; this program is run by another company (forget the company that does it) and you go through them to verify and such. Like Kim, many are finding obvious places to volunteer near them are not "approved". If you ask me, a certified letter from a government certified non-profit organization that you volunteered x amount of hours ought to be enough.

#6 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:01 AM

I think I'm going to do Project Linus. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it down this summer, but I can donate the ticket to Make A Wish or some other group.

Plus, I've kind of wanted to try some quilting. My mom is a kind of famous quilt book author so it kind of runs in the genes.

This is not a very masculine post, so I'm going to do some push ups. :(

#7 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:04 AM

First, I have found a place to volunteer where my whole family can do it. I saw the tickets had to be used by Dec. 15, 2010. Can these vouchers be used towards the purchase of a multiple day pass? If so, how much are they worth? &/or can these be used towards the purchase of tickets included in a vacation package?

Second, In Fq Vst, I hope you did those push-ups PX90 style, clap & all :)

#8 User is offline   ksomm814 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

My sister, sister-in-law and I volunteered at a local hospital and have our vouchers already. We actually lucked out since the hospital normally doesn't take one time volunteers but they needed something done in a hurry so they brought in 20 people who had inquired about the Give A Day program.

I don't think they can be used for towards a multiday pass. Just subtract the day from how many days you originally needed.

#9 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

Just awanted to give you an update.
We did our hours of service, it was actually fun, we cheered on the bikers that were in the race. A week later I got the email with the link to print out the vouchers. My son and I donated ours to the Boys and Girls Club of C. Fl. and my daughter is getting the figurine. The rest of my family has decided on getting the Fl resident dream pass, using the voucher from Give a Day they just have to pay $21 for 4 days in the parks. This is a great deal for them. So we get to go to the parks wth the family until May 25th.
Also, my son and I got to print out a cool looking certificate thanking us for donating our tickets, another thing for our disney memorabilia album.

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the report!

#11 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:45 AM

Just read that they reached the goal, no word if they will extend the promotion, glad we got a chance to take advantage of it. This is what the Disney site says:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneypar...et-A-Disney-Day

#12 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

I saw this come across. it appears to be officially closed.

Give a Day. Get a Disney Day.” has officially reached its goal of inspiring one million people in 2010 to give back to their communities through volunteer service in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada. Snce the start of the program on Jan. 1, 2010, one million people have already volunteered or have committed to volunteer in their communities. Although registration is now closed and the program has ended, those who volunteered have until Dec.15, 2010, to redeem their free park ticket (certain block-out dates apply). lthough the program has ended and a free Disney theme park ticket will no longer be provided, those still interested in volunteering may search for opportunities through HandsOn Network athttp://HandsOnNetwork.org.

#13 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:33 PM

That's not very cool.

#14 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

I'm surprised how quickly it went. While I liked the idea of the promotion, I wasn't a fan of how so many non-profits were excluded and in some areas, it was very difficult to find an opportunity near your home due to the limited list. But glad a lot of volunteering was done!

#15 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

I'm not totally surprised that they went through it this quickly. In some cases your "day" of service was really only 3-4 hours. I think that once word spread about some of those opportunities, this was going to be a short lived promotion. I might have done it myself, but I wouldn't have time because of work until May.

And in some ways this was an easier promotion than the birthday one. You could have entire families (or most members of them) getting one day admission free.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users