Studios Central: No More Marathon - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No More Marathon

#1 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

I was at the Studios on Sunday and the marathon turns this place into a nightmare. It makes everything so difficult: traffic, toruing logistics. Frankly, I think its a dumb idea to have this going on in the middle of a park (I paid good money to get into by the way)

I wrote this at Mouse Extra that went thru some of the other problems as well like Magical Express and getting to the MK on Saturday

http://www.mouseextra.com/2010/01/12/a-cal...dness/#comments

Thoughts?
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#2 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

so...I read your article & the comments, I'm glad to hear you are eating salads & congrats on the personal best @ TSM. I understand your frustration(s). There are a few thing WDW needs to figure out, ie ME, maybe the race course & getting word out to guests when they book a vacay during that time, so the guest understands how the marathon will impact their stay. IMO it's really up to the guests if they choose to go during that particular weekend. But.... maybe if you can't beat 'em, join 'em; you seem to already be in training w/your eating :P

I'll see you at the 1/2 in Oct ???!!!

Kristen

#3 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

View PostMaxiBarns, on Jan 13 2010, 12:44 AM, said:

so...I read your article & the comments, I'm glad to hear you are eating salads & congrats on the personal best @ TSM. I understand your frustration(s). There are a few thing WDW needs to figure out, ie ME, maybe the race course & getting word out to guests when they book a vacay during that time, so the guest understands how the marathon will impact their stay. IMO it's really up to the guests if they choose to go during that particular weekend. But.... maybe if you can't beat 'em, join 'em; you seem to already be in training w/your eating :P

I'll see you at the 1/2 in Oct ???!!!

Kristen

I fail to why Disney has to impact everyone else's experience with this. Like I said, if they kept it to say Epcot and the Studios area, people can go to the MK.
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

I can see the argument both ways. Certainly the impact on guests was only for a few hours and by noon or so, I felt like I could cross the running path without much wait. I was there as well at around 11am and it certainly makes navigating the park a challenge.

I do like that the event comes through the park and I think for the runners it's a lot of fun. Like I said, the inconvenience is just a few short hours and one day isn't a lot to ask.

#5 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

View PostQuickGold, on Jan 13 2010, 11:47 AM, said:

I can see the argument both ways. Certainly the impact on guests was only for a few hours and by noon or so, I felt like I could cross the running path without much wait. I was there as well at around 11am and it certainly makes navigating the park a challenge.

I do like that the event comes through the park and I think for the runners it's a lot of fun. Like I said, the inconvenience is just a few short hours and one day isn't a lot to ask.

I disagree. Its a lot to ask when you grind the Magical Express to a halt and when you impact all 4 parks
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

View PostMJMcBride, on Jan 13 2010, 11:56 AM, said:

I disagree. Its a lot to ask when you grind the Magical Express to a halt and when you impact all 4 parks

My response to that would be don't fly in/out on Marathon day or at least not in the AM. Regardless of what you're doing on Marathon day, anyone planning on doing anything at WDW should plan on avoiding anything that requires the use of roads in the morning hours.

#7 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

I've been to the parks on the day of the Marathon, and yes, it is a nightmare trying to get around all of the roadblocks. Like anything else you have to plan for it and know what to do the day of the race. It's almost like trying to avoid long lines. You have to plan for them and make modifications to avoid them.

#8 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Jan 13 2010, 02:13 PM, said:

My response to that would be don't fly in/out on Marathon day or at least not in the AM. Regardless of what you're doing on Marathon day, anyone planning on doing anything at WDW should plan on avoiding anything that requires the use of roads in the morning hours.

Which to me is ridiculous and unfair to the non-marathon guests
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

I think Aaron has the right idea. Planning around it isn't impossible. Yes it is an inconvenience but we're all entitled to our opinions and I'm certainly not saying you are wrong.

#10 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Jan 13 2010, 07:15 PM, said:

I think Aaron has the right idea. Planning around it isn't impossible. Yes it is an inconvenience but we're all entitled to our opinions and I'm certainly not saying you are wrong.

I understand your position. I suppose the thing that burns me the most is that it effects every single park and you can't avoid the hassle unless you stay home in the morning which to me is not an option for most people who travel for a week and want to hit the rides
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#11 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

You could always do a water park Marathon morning, or Miniature golf.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#12 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

View PostYoPaulie, on Jan 13 2010, 08:26 PM, said:

yuck
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

View PostYoPaulie, on Jan 13 2010, 08:26 PM, said:

Or sleep in :skooter:

#14 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

View PostQuickGold, on Jan 14 2010, 11:44 AM, said:

Or sleep in :skooter:

not an appealing option when you are there for 7 to 10 days a year
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#15 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

sheesh, I am getting killed on this issue
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#16 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

View PostMJMcBride, on Jan 15 2010, 08:09 PM, said:

Well, believe it or not the marathon actually brings in a lot of money. During a week that is generally very slow, the runners mostly don't come by themselves. They bring their families and other supporters. They stay in the resorts, eat in the restaurants, spend in the stores. They pay for the run its self.

I get that it is an inconvenience, and that is unfortunate, it's really inconvenient for the cast too. But for some of the runners it is a life changing experience. Literally life changing. It's just a few hours in the morning, and I think that is all that anyone is trying to say. There are tons of events in the parks throughout the year that can be inconvenient for some, but great fun for those who participate.

#17 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

View PostIHeartTheStudios, on Jan 15 2010, 08:27 PM, said:

There are tons of events in the parks throughout the year that can be inconvenient for some, but great fun for those who participate.

The biggest difference though is that all of those other events effect 1 park not all 4 and everything else in Disney. If the marathon merely effected 1 park you wouldn't hear boo from me

I understand it makes Disney money. Lets be honest, they wouldn't do it without that, but it doesn't make it any less inconvienent for people who simply don't care
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#18 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

View PostMJMcBride, on Jan 15 2010, 08:09 PM, said:

Like I said before, I dont think your wrong about the inconvenience, but I think we're all trying to show you the other side to that inconvenience to show you it's worth a few hours of slow goings. Don't take it to mean that we all think you're off your rocker.

IHeartTheStudios brings up a good point about the life changing aspect of the event and after all, Disney is all about making memories for its guests.

#19 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

View PostQuickGold, on Jan 16 2010, 08:40 AM, said:

Like I said before, I dont think your wrong about the inconvenience, but I think we're all trying to show you the other side to that inconvenience to show you it's worth a few hours of slow goings. Don't take it to mean that we all think you're off your rocker.

IHeartTheStudios brings up a good point about the life changing aspect of the event and after all, Disney is all about making memories for its guests.

I get that. I really do. I just think it could be done in a way that is less inconvienent for everyone else

and many think I'm off my rocker believe you me
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#20 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

View PostMJMcBride, on Jan 16 2010, 08:09 AM, said:

I get that. I really do. I just think it could be done in a way that is less inconvenient for everyone else

and many think I'm off my rocker believe you me

Psssst...you could go a different weekend...I'm just sayin' :blink: :D :D

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users