• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MGM on the holidays

#21 User is offline   disneypinman 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:42 PM

No Osborne Lights this year or probably any other for that matter. This was PATHETIC planning on Disney's part. An alternative solution should have been planned BEFORE residential street was destroyed. You think Disney management will need to be hit over the head with a box of rocks to wonder why the studios will be DEAD this holiday season. Serves the morons right. Do they think that lame crap they have planned is going to appease all the people who specifically went to the studios to see the Osborne Lights. Come on...be serious.

And lets see what cheesy act they can have for New Year's Eve. A few years ago it was REO, then the Doobies. Then what did we get....Davy Jones.....woohoo. There's a big draw. If Disney was smart, they would put a top quality act on for New Years Eve to draw people to the studios in spite of the loss of the Osborne Lights. But I am sure they will go the usual CHEAP route to save on the "bottom line".

Even if the Osborne Lights do come back to the studios as they claim, NY street is not exactly the ideal place to display them. When was the last time you took your family on a trip through the inner city to look at Christmas Lights ? There is no way NY street can do the previous displays any justice. And why wasn't this planned better so that the lights could have been displayed SOMEWHERE this year.

Each year, Disney management seems to put their collective heads further up each others butts. They clearly do not have a clue how popular that attraction was at the Holidays. I hope the line for complaints at Guest Services stretches all the way to Eisner's office !!!

#22 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 04 December 2003 - 12:08 AM

First, welcome to the site disneypinman.

You raise some valid points. I for one am in favor of postponing the lights this year because we are getting a new attraction that should be halfway decent. In light of the past few years of cutbacks and closures, adding a new attraction at the cost of postponing a light show is worth it to me.

However, you're right. The substitute for the lights is no where near what it could or should be. I'm not sure its ignornance as much as it's fiscal planning. I doubt the folks at Disney Inc. have a moneybin a la Ducktales to spend on the parks. And MGM does get the short end of the mouse ear when it comes to spending(AK included). However, next year should be wonderful....not only NY street, but Chicago & San Francisco and in response to your point about residential vs. urban lighting, they both have their pro's and cons and I think Disney will make the new lights just as good, if not better. Again, welcome to the site :D

#23 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 04 December 2003 - 07:31 AM

First off, welcome to the boards! :D

disneypinman said:

No Osborne Lights this year or probably any other for that matter. This was PATHETIC planning on Disney's part. An alternative solution should have been planned BEFORE residential street was destroyed.

This is wrong on a few counts. We will have the Osborne lights back, granted, no not this year, but they wil be back. It was not pathetic planning on Disney's part, we did have an alternative solution for the lights, but as Resident Street was being taken down, they realized it wasn't going to work. The alternative, in part, was to do New York Street. The facades are so old, that when tested with the weight, they started to come off the structures. Hence the reason New York Street is getting a face lift so to speak.

disneypinman said:

Even if the Osborne Lights do come back to the studios as they claim, NY street is not exactly the ideal place to display them. When was the last time you took your family on a trip through the inner city to look at Christmas Lights ? There is no way NY street can do the previous displays any justice. And why wasn't this planned better so that the lights could have been displayed SOMEWHERE this year.

Obviously New York Street isn't large enough anyway to host all the lights, there are several (undisclosable) reasonable, ideas of where they will go. It was planned, as stated in my first explanation.

Anyway, I don't have time to continue this right now, must get ready for work. Hope I haven't scared you away from posting, just letting people know that there is a lot more going on at Disney than you can see just by looking down the streets.

#24 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:35 PM

disneypinman said:

No Osborne Lights this year or probably any other for that matter.

Welcome to the board.

As the previous posts have mentioned. Many attempts were made by Disney to try to keep the lights going. Jennings Osborne himself said they were down only for this year. They will be back bigger and better next year.

I saw the Osborne lights when the first appeared on Jennings house in Little Rock, Arkansas. Completely red and one impressive sight. It was sad his neighbors were not the holiday type and he had to stop putting up the lights at his house. Disney was a life saver to his collection and display.

Yes I am sad I don't get to see them this year but the wait will be worth it in my opinion.

#25 User is offline   disneypinman 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 05 December 2003 - 01:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome !!!

I sure hope you guys are right that the lights will be back and be as good as ever. I must admit I will be skeptical for a year until I get to see them again. Just so you guys know....we are regulars at Disney....I think we saw the Osborne Lights 10 nights last year alone !!! The passholder preview was a tradition, but of course last year they cut out the pictures !!! GREED !!! Passholders keep those parks going for 6 months of the year when they are slow.

We visited just about every weekend they were up last year, as well as the fact that we spend a week at Disney each year for New Years and always spend New Years Eve at the Studios, partly because of the lights, and partly because they used to have some good entertainment on New Years Eve. Now that they will probably have neither, I am not so sure what we are going to do. This was to be our 8th New Years Eve in a row at Disney World, but now that there are no lights and the entertainment has gone downhill, we are looking at a cruise instead.

What happened to the days of REO and the Doobies. Was anyone there in New Years Eve 97 I believe it was when they went all out. The Doobies were on New York Street, and they even had a ball that came down on New York street atop one of the buildings, with tons of confetti dropped from the rooftops and windows of the buildings. That was when they made things special.

I know some of you work for Disney, but I am sorry...the cutbacks cannot be blamed for everything. There is a lot of greed and cheapening of the product year after year. The regular visitors see it the most. I talk to alot of passholders who feel the same. As bad as Disney claimed 2002 was, from what I read, it was still the 3rd best attendance year on record. So if thats the case, why is it the service and standards were higher when attendance figures were much lower in the mid 90's ? No one ever addresses that fact. The fact is Disney is using 9/11 as an excuse to raise prices and lower quality. I wish they would just raise the price to keep the quality level where it used to be. Like I said, regular visitors see this the most. But the fact is, if the regulars that keep the parks going don't feel the standards are high enough anymore for the cost, then they will find alternatives. Seems that no one at Disney management wants to acknowledge any of this. They make it difficult to lodge a complaint or suggestion because they are showing the customers they care less and less. Trust me, I speak from experience. I have visited Disney World about 400 times over the past 8 years, and have seen a lot of changes. Some very good, but others in the pure name of greed. And the standards seem to be dropping each year as well. I wish it was not this way, especially for how much things cost. Heck..if I took all the money over 8 years that my family and I have spent at Disney, we could buy a nice brand new car and have LOTS of money left over. To see things going in the wrong direction is very disturbing.

Perhaps someone finally woke up and realized that if they want people to keep coming back, they need to invest money in the parks. This is a good idea for sure. But hopefully it will not be at the expense of other areas. Service is what set Disney apart from other places. If that slides like everything else has, then guess which way the attendance figures are going to go.

For those folks on this board that are cast members, don't be surprised if you hear a LOT of complaints about the lack of Osborne Lights this year. I think Disney underestimated the popularity of this attraction. I for one would rather see them recreate Residential street somewhere else on the property and allow anyone with a park pass to be able to view them. I think there is enough land at Disney World to be able to do this. I think it would be incredible to turn discovery island into this winter wonderland. How incredible would it be to walk around the island with a little street and buildings and you would be able to see it from everywhere around the lagoon. But of course, its all about the mighty dollar now, isn't it.

Thanks again for the welcome. And if someone has an email address to someone higher up in Disney, I would love to have it.

Disneypinman

#26 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 05 December 2003 - 02:13 PM

As I've said before, I agree with you pinman....I think the cutbacks of the past 2 years have hurt us, the Disney fans, more and more. The Lights are definetly coming back next year....the Osborne Family said so, as have a number of news outlets. Disney is notoriously slow on handing out official information.

I think we're in a general "upswing" in terms of new and better things coming to the Studios. 2005 will be a big year and I hope we can see a return to the "good ol' days" very very very very very very soon :D

#27 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 05 December 2003 - 05:38 PM

This really belongs in the News forum, but since we're on the topic...

Less disturbing rumors is that the Osborne Lights are being said by a number of different sources to be on again next year as expected and the location would be the newly re-furbed New York Street area, but of-course by then a new name may be in order as the Chicago and San Fransisco sections will be completed by then. These new areas as said to be included in the new area for the light show.

#28 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 07 December 2003 - 12:29 AM

To add to what I had posted previously, Residential Street was falling down too. The facades are just that, facades. They aren't meant to be covered in heavy lights for a month or so out of the year. When they took the roof off the church, all the walls fell down and created a blackout in the back of the park.

disneypinman said:

For those folks on this board that are cast members, don't be surprised if you hear a LOT of complaints about the lack of Osborne Lights this year. I think Disney underestimated the popularity of this attraction.

Thanks again for the welcome. And if someone has an email address to someone higher up in Disney, I would love to have it.

Disneypinman

Believe me, I've already heard a ton of them without coming online to get them. :D

The only email address I have handy at the moment is Guest Communications. wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

#29 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 07 December 2003 - 11:18 PM

QuickGold said:

How does F! meet n greet work? Before show the characters walk around the arena?

We've now been told by entertainment that it was a typo, and there will not be a F! meet and greet. They wouldn't tell us if it was a typo, then what was it supposed to be.

:) I was excited about that.

#30 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 08 December 2003 - 02:46 AM

Serious little typo there.

#31 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 08 December 2003 - 08:12 AM

trendymagic said:

Serious little typo there.

ya, athough it was part of the "backstage info" and as far I know, the only public places that got it were places that CMs told, as I did here :) I haven't seen it anywhere else but here either.

#32 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 08 December 2003 - 03:07 PM

Well that sucks. I guess marching that dragon around would have been a problem anyway :razz:

#33 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 08 December 2003 - 11:18 PM

QuickGold said:

Well that sucks. I guess marching that dragon around would have been a problem anyway :razz:

:lol: probably :rollblue:

#34 User is offline   Donna 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Disney, theatre, music, baseball

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:11 PM

The last thing one would ever hear out of my mouth is a negative word about Disney, BUT my family and I are really disappointed about the lack of live entertainment on New Year's Eve, not to mention the Osborne Lights. Now with the "typo" Fantasmic thing, it almost seems as if they don't really care. The so-called "holiday overlay" to the Disney Stars and Motor Cars parade appears as if they're throwing us a bone. This whole thing is very unDisney-like.
The best New Year's Eve we ever had was at MGM and we had every intention of returning. Now we'll be heading over to the MK instead. Can anyone out there in Disney cyberspace explain or offer an opinion as to why this is happening? I so hope it's not the "bottom line." Disney does great on the holidays and they were sure busy over July 4th.

14 days, 8hrs., 49 min...

#35 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:32 PM

We still haven't been told the live entertainment for New Year's Eve. The Fantasmic typo was something I jumped on before confirming.

Nevermind, I'm tired of defending the Studios when no one listens.

#36 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:39 PM

DisneyPrincess said:

We still haven't been told the live entertainment for New Year's Eve. The Fantasmic typo was something I jumped on before confirming.

Nevermind, I'm tired of defending the Studios when no one listens.

Well as far as I know Jillian that was the first -incorrect- bit of info you have ever posted here. I was looking forward to the F! characters. I was just expecting that they moved more characters over there before or after the show. I was also hoping it would put you on the street a little earlier so I could track you down!

:lol:

#37 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 09 December 2003 - 10:54 PM

I'm just sick of people complaining about the whole holiday thing, and not the Lights, nothing is different from last year, execpt the Lights. The lack of Lights was/is also a test to see if they are that big of an attendance booster. There are a ton of reason why the Lights aren't up. I've explained some of them. Others I won't even bother with, even more still are the ones that never made it down to my level.

We had several discussions as to why the meet and greet would be a very hard one to pull off before the entertainment management said it was a typo.
Yes, that was the first bit of incorrect information I've posted, and I guess now I'll reconfirm everything I get before I post it.

#38 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 10 December 2003 - 08:18 AM

For those in doubt we will have the Lights next year.... for the last month, for another 6 months or so, we're working on the infrastructure for them. i.e. repairing messed up lights (I saw a ton of ones that were out last year, very obvious) and changing them so they will be able to go places other than Residential Street.

#39 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 10 December 2003 - 12:22 PM

DisneyPrincess said:

I'm just sick of people complaining about the whole holiday thing, and not the Lights, nothing is different from last year, execpt the Lights. The lack of Lights was/is also a test to see if they are that big of an attendance booster. There are a ton of reason why the Lights aren't up. I've explained some of them. Others I won't even bother with, even more still are the ones that never made it down to my level.

We had several discussions as to why the meet and greet would be a very hard one to pull off before the entertainment management said it was a typo.
Yes, that was the first bit of incorrect information I've posted, and I guess now I'll reconfirm everything I get before I post it.

Jillian, please don't take people's complaints about Disney personally. No one blames you for it, we're just venting our feelings, just like when we're happy when we hear news about new attractions and other stuff. I know as a CM you probably hear more of this from guests in the park and when you come here it's like "Ding, ding...round 2!" I hope you understand where we're coming from....and if you dont, well you can always go hide at rocknrollercoaster.com where it's all smiles, all the time :content:

#40 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:22 PM

QuickGold said:

I know as a CM you probably hear more of this from guests in the park and when you come here it's like "Ding, ding...round 2!" I hope you understand where we're coming from....and if you dont, well you can always go hide at rocknrollercoaster.com where it's all smiles, all the time :content:

Yes, that's is a lot of it. Especially now with the holiday deal going on. Makes me glad I didn't take the Guest Relations spot when I had a chance for it. It's also not just here. I'm a member of at least 4 Disney boards, and it gets overwelming the amount of complaints I hear about little things.

It's all good.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users