Studios Central: What would you do with Sounds Dangerous - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What would you do with Sounds Dangerous How would you change things?

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

Since Sounds Dangerous appears to be ready to be lowered six feet into the ground, if you could take that building and create an attraction, what would you do? Here's the catch, you can't radically alter the building area, meaning you can't knock it down and build a roller coaster or extend it another 2000 feet. Think with what Disney did with American Idol and they took an existing building and rethemed it to fit another genre and apply it to Sounds Dangerous.

#2 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

How about the "So You Think You Can Dance" Experience? LOL.

I don't know if they really need to add in anything. Didn't they say they're keeping the area for corporate events? I'm not sure how many private events are held annually, but it may be a wise decision to keep it for that purpose if the numbers warrant it.

I think an attraction that supports the idea of a "Hollywood studio" would be welcomed. Something involving the film production process. People love that inclusive sense of seeing something behind the scenes. That's why American Idol is so popular. The show allows the public into the audition process of the next big singer.

#3 User is offline   smalld 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Playing Online Games.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

hmm... What about a dark ride? They don't take up a lot of room and you would get another attraction into the studios. You might be able to fit two of them even. One on the back of the building and one on the front. Like in Disneyland they built dark rides on top of each other. Alice is built on top of Mr.Toad. You could make one ride after Beauty and the Beast and maybe another after Lion King? or a Lilo and Stitch dark ride. Something to get another attraction in the park that people enjoy and is good for young kids.

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

In keeping with the whole "sound thing", why not go back to the original concept of foley artists (the people that make sounds we hear in movies) but instead of one film (like they had in monster sound show) have a library of tv and film clips to use to put sound effects to by using guests from the audience. That way, the show isn't the same old thing (since guests could pick the show and attempt to provide sound effects) and entertaining.

#5 User is offline   elchippo 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

I still think, since its near the "LucasLand" part of the park, that some sort of THX sound-related attraction woud be good.....but its gotta be interactive.....and its too good real estate to use just for corporate events....

Given where its at and how its designed, I cant imagine them redoing the building a whole lot....

#6 User is offline   Rodders 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Rugby League, Music, Disney and Booze

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:33 AM

I like those ideas. Having the opportunity to add sound effects to video would be fun. It could be scripted and themed into Star Wars where you get to create some of the sounds of the movies and then using a sampler you get to play them back in time with the action on the screen. I have the light sabre sounds buzzing in my imagination right now :P
Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

View Postelchippo, on Jul 13 2009, 11:33 PM, said:

I still think, since its near the "LucasLand" part of the park, that some sort of THX sound-related attraction woud be good.....but its gotta be interactive.....and its too good real estate to use just for corporate events....

Given where its at and how its designed, I cant imagine them redoing the building a whole lot....

Great idea, having THX as the sponsor would make a lot of sense.

#8 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

I'd like to see an audience participation sound effect attraction. If anyone has seen the game on Whose Line Is It Anyway? where 2 audience members are given mics to add sound effects to the skit the improv actors are performing, you get the idea. I think it would be hilarious.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#9 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

I have actually thought about this for a while. I have come up with an idea that incorporates only things that are already there, but adds a brand new experience unlike anywhere else.

Radio Disney Live

Here's how it would work. Guests go in for a live feed of a Radio Disney show, since there is an actual radio Studio right behind the Theatre. The host of the show would be on the stage in front of the screen, and there would be a tech live via said screen explaining how it's all done. Plus the headphones on the chains could simply be plugged into an actual Radio Disney feed, so they can hear the music while the host is talking. Radio Disney already has several games that involve more than one person on the phone. We simply tweak the idea to include members of the audience.

Example: An audience members gives three clues where they are from, and caller on the phone has to guess. If caller gets it right they both win a prize. and it doesn't even have to be some big fancy prize. You could do classic Radio prizes, like T-shirts or sweatbands, or Disney prize like Pins or Fastpasses.

The idea of a live radio show has been used every once in a blue moon, but i think a daily occurrence would be interesting both in a radio and theme park perspective. Lots of Audience Participation, cheap renovation, something new, and would actually make DHS a working Studio on a regular basis.

#10 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

I would also like to see an audience participation sound effect attraction. They could have a screen with film footage and audience volunteers would have to pick from "stuff" to make the sounds to go along with the footage. I've seen shows where you see what sound effect people actually use to make certain sounds and it's pretty amazing to know the odd stuff they use.

And speaking of Star Wars, what about the sound effects of Ben Burtt? That could be great.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#11 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

I like the idea darthstitch...it's another easy to implement idea that wouldn't cost much for Disney to do.

#12 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:24 AM

View Postelchippo, on Jul 13 2009, 11:33 PM, said:

I was going to post the same thing. Make it the THX/Lucasfilm Special Effects Experience and lets get some really cool stuff going there!
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#13 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

I think what would be GREAT is a series of foley stages... maybe 5 or 6 of them. Each would get a group of about 10 people and a cast member for instruction. They would get a film clip to do the effects for, just like the original Monster sound show, except this time they get to do effects for real films that Disney has rights to. Classic films, new films, the clip is random each time. At the end, you can purchase a multi-angle DVD of your "performance" for $10.

What's cool is while in the queue, there are flatscreens suspended from the ceiling that shows what's going on in each foley studio... hidden-camera style, from a high vantage point, so no one can mug for (or see, for that matter) the camera.

With the hundreds of movies in the Disney vault, this shouldn't be too tough to grab 2 minutes or so of each.

Hey... on the back of the tickets it says you can be recorded for any use by the Walt Disney Company... let's put that disclaimer to WORK!

Also... how cool would this be when retooled for Star Wars Weekends... and the lucky person who picks up the drumstick and the length of high-tension wire...

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#14 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

YoPaulie I like your idea. Something interactive, fresh and that could have different outcomes.

Of course I want Sounds Dangerous gone bad enough that even a DVC kiosk would be an improvement.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#15 User is offline   Owen 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

I think the critical flaw with Sounds Dangerous is that it aged far too quickly due to the use of a star that was only popular for a small period of time when you consider the life expectancy of a theme park attraction.

The building itself is pretty big, so there's lots of potential. I do agree that the focus of any new attraction should be on sound and should include plenty of audience participation.

What I was thinking was two rooms that can hold a fairly decent number of guests, one with a stage and one with a big screen. The first room would introduce guests to sounds in movies and then show guests a clip from a popular movie at the time, for example High School Musical at the moment. However, the clip would be edited so certain sound effects were missing. It would then be up to a set number of audience volunteers to re-create the sounds using similar techniques to what were used in the movies.

After the sounds are re-created, with a few laughs and jokes along the way, the guests move onto the screening room. Here the cast members, along with show elements, create the feeling that the guests are at the opening showing of a new exiting movie. The guests would then be showed the clip again but this time with all the sounds added that were made in the previous room. When the added sounds were included in the clip a small video of the person making the sound would be included in the bottom corner of the screen, again creating a few laughs and highlighting the sound being made and who made it.

Once the screening is over the volunteers get small plastic Oscars similar to those sold in stores around Hollywood Studios but themed to the attraction and guests are led into a smaller hall with some information and displays on how sound is made in the movies.

I think the idea would work, it's easy to keep fresh with new, popular clips which will also cut down on the costs of having to update and attraction in order to keep it popular.

#16 User is offline   Rockin' Reilly 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:long walks on the beach, disney trips and adult beverages.....

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

kinda playing off a few other posts here, but what about a dark ride where you go through the sound process, i mean you could start at the very beginning, you see a scene being acted out and you hear the director go, great job, but will have to pick up the dialogue in ADR (additional dialogue recording) then you see them doing that, then foley, maybe some sound design. the little sound i have done for movies has taken me months and months to get right and its a very particular process, but i think part of it needs to be interactive, because, especially with sound design, its all about fooling around to get the best effect possible.

#17 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

I don't know, but it would be cool to have something with Ben Burtt's name attached to it.

He isn't much of a star, but he's done some amazing things with sound, especially recently with Wall-E.

#18 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

I would go w/ the THX idea. I had that as part of an expanded Lucas Area in a Mouse Extra thing I wrote a long time ago. I would love that and a Mos Eisley Cantina
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#19 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

I would love something with audience participation. It keeps people interested. Especially when you have a video that Disney could potentially update. I'm really liking all the ideas that I've heard here. Makes me wanna go to all of them. I think its time for Disney to be super creative with a small budget, just like they were when imagineering started. Sometimes the most basic things can be the most fun!

#20 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

View PostTheInfrequentVisitor, on Jul 26 2009, 07:36 PM, said:

I don't know, but it would be cool to have something with Ben Burtt's name attached to it.

He isn't much of a star, but he's done some amazing things with sound, especially recently with Wall-E.

Now, see... with my idea, WALL•E would be one of the movies!

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users