Studios Central: Disney's Animal Kingdom to get new "goodnight kiss" - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disney's Animal Kingdom to get new "goodnight kiss"

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

From Mouseplanet

Since fireworks are a no-no at Disney's Animal Kingdom (scaring the resident critters would be a bad thing), the end of each day has had a hard time giving guests a reason to stay right up until closing. A new effort to give folks a special close to their visit features music, characters and dancing as part of the Adventurers' Celebration Gathering (not to be confused with the Adventurers Club).

The show features khaki-clad cast members, as well as Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and Goofy also in safari gear. Cast members shake pom-poms and try to get guests to participate in a conga line while the characters ride along atop a safari vehicle. The procession takes place near tha park's entrance during park closing each evening.

Okay, clearly Disney has gotten the memo that AK needs something at night to keep guests in and I think this is a step in the right direction. Now they need to realize that the cuts in Fantasmic! cause the same issue and on non-F! days, the Studios bleeds guests in the late afternoon. Whatever costs they save from no F! has to be offset by the large amount of guests leaving that are no longer spending their money there.

#2 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

We are going to AK this saturday to try out the picnic in the park thing and we'll probably stick around for this too.
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#3 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

Just based on the description, I don't think I'd hang out at the park to watch a conga line.

Fail.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#4 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

Eric said:

Just based on the description, I don't think I'd hang out at the park to watch a conga line.

Fail.

Ditto

#5 User is offline   General Specific 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

I have to say, this doesn't really interest me in the slightest. If I were an AK executive looking for nighttime show possibilities, I'd put something in the Finding Nemo Theater. For example, why not have a special showing or two of the old Tarzan show late at night?

#6 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

I put it to Disney to invent the sound-less firework.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

It basically sounds like what they do for the park opening, but this time it's at the end of the day.

#8 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

They could do lasers or something.

But in the category of nighttime entertainment, a conga line just doesn't compare to Fantasmic, Illuminations, or Wishes.

#9 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

This is a good idea. They do need something to signal the closing of the park. I wonder if it will be worth hanging around for?

#10 User is offline   DisneyNut2009 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

Eric said:

Fail.

Give it a try anyway.

And based on the description of the offering, I think that they'll invite guests to join the conga line, not just watch it (a la "Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It").

Don't pass judgement on ANYTHING until you see them for yourself.

#11 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

Yeah, even if I get to join the conga line....still not excited. Maybe as an afternoon parade/celebration, but no way is this an end-of-park-day event.

I will check it out to verify, but it sounds like it was done on the cheap.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#12 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

I think this could be a nice closer for the end of the day, but this sounds a little too much like a "Kiss Goodnight" and not enough like a Night-time Spectular of some sort.
I defintely think the Conga could be a nice way to end the day, but I really think guests are not gonna be saying, "Let's stay another 3 hours for the Conga".
I'm hoping Disney comes up with something really new and innoventive, like when they thought up the Main Street Electrical Parade. They made miracles happen once, lets make them happen again.

#13 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

DisneyNut2009 said:

Don't pass judgement on ANYTHING until you see them for yourself.

Yeah right, how'd that work out when we found out we got a giant balloon you can see (When grounded) from I-4 on the Sand Lake Overpass. . .

Honestly, how many people on this site have actually gone on this thing (If and when it's actually working)?

Anyway. The thing you have to look at is that this is a Conga line with Disney flair. . . Yeah even I can't make this one look good.
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#14 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

Indy at least you tried...

#15 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:06 AM

yulilin said:

We are going to AK this saturday to try out the picnic in the park thing and we'll probably stick around for this too.

If you do stay to check it out, let us know what you think!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#16 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

I liked the old lantern light parade idea
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#17 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

We went yesterday to AK and I was determined to stay until the end of the parks day (5pm) to see what this was all about, and here is my opinion:
I wouldn't plan to stay until the end of the day just for this...it started at 5:15pm, lasted about 13 min. At the front of the park between Guest Relations and the Stroller rental. The truck that came out during the morning ceremony (safari truck with the characters) comes out with Goofy, Minnie and Donald in safari attire, the truck has a banner that says "Goodnight Aventurers" "We Celebrate You". The only "speaking" part comes from Goofy saying things like "let's have a party and celebrate you" CM's dance around everyone about 4 songs are played, the CM's wave pom-poms and do their best to get people involved in the dancing. The last song, of course, is Celebrate You with a latin twist in the music.
If you happen to catch this as you are leaving it could be a nice experience, other than that I wouldn't wait just to see it.
And now the opening ceremony is with Rafiki, I didn't catch this one because I got there after 9am, and don't know exactly what it entails.
We also did the Picnic at the Park, and really enjoyed it. We ordered in the morning at the bakery window next to Kilamanjaro Safari, quick and easy, gave them a return time for p/u. Got there and they had everything ready for us, it took less than a couple of min for the p/u. Found a nice area in a little side trail where DeVine usually comes out, shaded and quiet. My son had the ham grinder, my daughter had the turkey and I had the chicken wrap, all were good, 2 brownies and a cookie. The brownies were very big and ended up being a snack for later. For the side we choose the potato chip bags, when you pick the chips option each person in the group gets a bag, not like if you pick lets say a macarroni and cheese, there's only one to share between the 3 of you. The bag that it comes is big and will be used on our grocery shopping from now on. We did buy soft drinks because it's the only time when the kids are allowed to drink coke, but the water came in handy later in the day. I completely recommend it.

#18 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the info, yulilin!

#19 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for the info yulilin. I've heard about this but not haven't heard any reviews about it.
It sounds like the portions were good too, and the wait wasn't long.

I'm gonna try and check out the conga for myself, though I have a strong feeling I'll be sharing your opinion on that too.

#20 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the report Yulady!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users