Studios Central: My two cents on the UNOFFICIAL Disney fan community - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My two cents on the UNOFFICIAL Disney fan community

#1 User is offline   alpinewiz 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

I apologize in advance but this was something that I had to get off my chest.
http://hideintortuga.net/2009/04/my-two-ce...isney-fan.shtml

#2 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

well then I recommend you stay away from july171955.com and don't read my review of the D23 magazine
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#3 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

Welcome to the forum, and, nice post.

Agree with your overall sentiment, not 100% of your detailed criticism, but with the sentiment, yes.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#4 User is offline   alpinewiz 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

Hey MJMcBride. I think you may have misunderstood. I think people should post their opinions. You thought D23 magazine had some flaws, fine that's your opinion and no one cane or should try and take that away from you. By beef is with the people that are constantly dogging Disney and what they do. It seems as though Disney owes them something and they don't. They rest of my post was just on the sheer rudeness I have heard and come across. I think, and a lot of other people agree, that it is uncalled for.

YoPaulie, that is exactly the kind of dialogue that should be going on. You didn't agree with everything, fine no problem. I'm not here to attack anyone just to try and get my message across.

You two have a great day. :D

#5 User is offline   alyx92 

• Studios Regular

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

Very well stated. I hate all of the personal attacks that go on on some sites (not here. this site rocks!)
Like paulie, i dont agree with 100% of what you said, but you made your point well. :D

#6 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

alpinewiz said:

Hey MJMcBride. I think you may have misunderstood. I think people should post their opinions. You thought D23 magazine had some flaws, fine that's your opinion and no one cane or should try and take that away from you. By beef is with the people that are constantly dogging Disney and what they do. It seems as though Disney owes them something and they don't. They rest of my post was just on the sheer rudeness I have heard and come across. I think, and a lot of other people agree, that it is uncalled for.

Yet, there is a community out there that thinks that Disney is a shadow of its former self. That imagineering is not what it once was. And I can't say I disagree with them completely.

As for personal attacks, well, sure, thats uncalled for.
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#7 User is offline   alpinewiz 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

MJMcBride said:

Yet, there is a community out there that thinks that Disney is a shadow of its former self. That imagineering is not what it once was. And I can't say I disagree with them completely.

As for personal attacks, well, sure, thats uncalled for.

That may be so but no one, except for people that work for Disney, can say that for sure. Even so no company, not one, is going to be running/producing like they were in the past. The realization of being fiscally responsible causes that and no entity is immune to it. We both can probably agree though that Bob Iger is starting to turn the ship around and even though they hit some rough patches The Disney Co., as a whole, is headed in the right direction.

Great discussion by the way.

#8 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

I agree completely. I haven't involved myself much in the D23 discussion, but getting personal is never justifiable.
I think its good to have a discussion about the good things and bad things of Disney. I mean, Matt doesn't like Coronado Springs, but that doesn't make him a WDW hater.
Same with D23, wheter you like it or not, you are still a Disney fan.
Everyone has their opinions.
If you like the magazine, then enjoy reading it.
If you don't, then just ignore it. It's not like Disney is forcing you into it.

I'm currently not a member of D23, just because I live abroad.
But all the discussions especially on this website and Lou's have really given me insight into whether or not its worth it.

This is a good discussion and this is the way we should be talking about it. :D

#9 User is offline   alpinewiz 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

squishybear said:

I agree completely. I haven't involved myself much in the D23 discussion, but getting personal is never justifiable.
I think its good to have a discussion about the good things and bad things of Disney. I mean, Matt doesn't like Coronado Springs, but that doesn't make him a WDW hater.
Same with D23, wheter you like it or not, you are still a Disney fan.
Everyone has their opinions.
If you like the magazine, then enjoy reading it.
If you don't, then just ignore it. It's not like Disney is forcing you into it.

I'm currently not a member of D23, just because I live abroad.
But all the discussions especially on this website and Lou's have really given me insight into whether or not its worth it.

This is a good discussion and this is the way we should be talking about it. :)

Hear Hear!! :D

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

I've spoken about this with colleagues but I really like the community that has materialized here on Studios Central. I'll take a few great folks who love to talk Studios (and WDW) over thousands of people who may stop in once or twice and I'm quite content with our little corner of the web. :D

#11 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

QuickGold said:

I've spoken about this with colleagues but I really like the community that has materialized here on Studios Central. I'll take a few great folks who love to talk Studios (and WDW) over thousands of people who may stop in once or twice and I'm quite content with our little corner of the web. :D

Agreed, and I've said the same thing about my forums as well. Part of the reason why I spend so much time on these forums too. It seems like you really get to know the other members, and, while everyone may not agree all the time, we can at least disagree respectfully.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#12 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

alpinewiz said:

That may be so but no one, except for people that work for Disney, can say that for sure.

say what for sure? That Disney is a shadow of its former self. Thats obviously just an opinion. One I don't necessarily share.

I do hold the opinion that WDW is not as well run as it used to be or that Imagineering is not as good as it used to be. I am not sure why people who work at Disney can only say that. I would say they are least credible since they are tied so closely to the place, they could not be deemed objective
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#13 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with much of what you stated.

I was one who almost fell for the April Fools joke. I've been known to fall for them in the past. Don't ask why....I never learn. :roll: I took it for what it's face value was.....An April Fools joke. I didn't lose sleep over it. That's what April Fools is for....To have some fun. I found the joke refreshing in a way.

I hang out on mostly 2 Disney forums. Both are in stark contrast of each other. I'm seeing both ends of the spectrum. Although I enjoy both forums I know what you mean about the bashing. Part of the reason I came over here besides my love of the Studios and Disney World was to get away from it every now and again. This site is very refreshing and I'm happy to be a part of it. I've felt welcome here from day one. :D The people are wonderful!

#14 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

ADP said:

I hang out on mostly 2 Disney forums.

studios central and.......
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#15 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

MJMcBride said:

ADP said:

I hang out over on the DIS Forums as well. I've made a lot of friends over there. However, there are some who are really rough around the edges; especially in DVC forums. Because the community is so large making comments and giving advice is heavily disected and analyzed by a certain few within certain forum categories.
It's not that way at all over here. We all respect each other and can have honest and open conversations.

I also somtimes post over at the Disneyworldtrivia.com forums.

#16 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

ADP said:

MJMcBride said:

ADP said:

I hang out over on the DIS Forums as well. I've made a lot of friends over there. However, there are some who are really rough around the edges; especially in DVC forums. Because the community is so large making comments and giving advice is heavily disected and analyzed by a certain few within certain forum categories.
It's not that way at all over here. We all respect each other and can have honest and open conversations.

I also somtimes post over at the Disneyworldtrivia.com forums.

I hang around both places myself. The Rumors board at DIS can be a tad rough too. Probably why I like it there
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#17 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:14 AM

I just brose WDWradio.com forums but mostly this one.
The one on Lou's website is just so huge, its very hard to keep up with all the posts.
But sometimes it gets a bit rough there too, but never too deadly

#18 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:18 AM

I don't know about you, but I've had some rather sticky problems when it comes to Disney fan sites. It all started with the Arielholics (The Little Mermaid fan community), which devolved from just a bunch of adult fans into teenage girls who are devoted to Ariel. That fan community lead to VMK (and you all know how that turned out) which I associated with the DIS (who STILL won't release my screen name! :evil: )...

The bottom line is I am a very outspoken individual when it comes to Disney. Some of my ideas with Disney won't always mesh with others, and that could cost me. This is probably the only place I will stay and post to, as no other Disney fan community would want me as a member. They would have to invite me first or convince me some way if they really want me to join them.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#19 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:48 AM

StudiosCentral as well as the Yahoo Adventurers Club forums are the most civilized ones I've found so far. I'm fairly active on Yahoo AC and do occasionally post on MouseOwners.com (DVC owners site) and read some others but for the most part, stay here because I like the members. We don't always agree but respect each others opinions without bashing!!!! Long live StudiosCentral!!!!!!!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#20 User is offline   alyx92 

• Studios Regular

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

The two most civilized ones i've seen are this one and visionsfantastic.com

VF if made up of mostley disneyland people, but it still is a great forum!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users