Studios Central: Animated Star Wars: Clone Wars gets slammed by critics - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Animated Star Wars: Clone Wars gets slammed by critics

#1 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

Read the list of quotes posted over at Blue Sky Disney blog...

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2008/08/...-like-duck.html

Its brutal.

#2 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:30 PM

No John Williams, no Fox logo, FAIL award right there to begin with.

It's something that should have been released on either DVD or Cartoon Network or Sci-Fi. Bottom line.
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#3 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

IndyandMarion said:

No John Williams, no Fox logo, FAIL award right there to begin with.

It's something that should have been released on either DVD or Cartoon Network or Sci-Fi. Bottom line.

Couldn't Disagree more. I loved it! Critics are always hard on Star Wars Movies, which is why i don't listen to them anymore. Despite John Williams absence the Soundtrack was amazing! And why does the Fox Logo make any difference? Wonderfully unique animation, Fun Story, Lots of Action, All you're Favorite Star Wars Characters shed in a new light, and enjoyable new characters you will fall in love with. I mean for pete sake, we are all here on a site dedicated to a park owned by the biggest name in Animation, if we can't appreciate a good Cartoon, who can?
I mean if you go into it expecting it to be just like the Live action movies, you will come out disappointed. But if you go in expecting it to be a cartoon, or at least more entertaining than Episode I, than you will be most Pleased. The story line pays homage to old Saturday Morning Cartoons, as well as fitting right into the Star Wars Universe. Plus it is so funny! It has well earned the title of the 7th Star Wars Movie.
If you survived watching Vader Dance to Thriller during SWW this year, and come out with a smile on you're face, you will enjoy this film.

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

Wow, only 18% positive reviews at Rotten Tomatoes

#5 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

My guess is that I think the movie would have done well if it wasn't called Star Wars. Brand equity is what we're talking about. If they're going to release a film to a different demographic with a different level of script and effects....they need to make it have its own franchise.

#6 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:12 PM

darthstich said:

I mean for pete sake, we are all here on a site dedicated to a park owned by the biggest name in Animation, if we can't appreciate a good Cartoon, who can?

Don't. Seriously. The parks have nothing to do with animation. The parks are just an idea that came about because of someone who wanted something else. Using a "Clone Wars is animated so it's different" idea is not worth it. Wether it's animated or not, doesn't make a difference. People were excited to hear Episode one coming out, and it sucked by star wars fans expectations. What we have here with Clone Wars is Episode One Syndrome: We expected it to be great because it carries a well established name to it, and it failed.

I'd rather watch HSM and listen to Small World, then watch HSM be added into Small World in some form than waste time on Clone Wars. It looked good in previews but who are we kidding, we've all ready had this done. It was called

*Gasp*

The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network.

And Im slowly starting to lose what little interest I had in the TV show now as well. Get the movies out in 3-D*. Star Wars all ways has, and all ways will be a trilogy. Not a saga, a trilogy. Damn episodes one and two. Episode three was a nice little bonus for us all, but in the end Star Wars is a three movie deal. Bottom line.

(Now that I think about it, all though Matt will be the only one to get it) I'd do that "other" job I rarely do while listening to a HSM themed Small World than call this "7th Movie" worthwhile.

*3-D costing you that much Georgie that you needed to release something like this to cover it?

#7 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

IndyandMarion said:

*3-D costing you that much Georgie that you needed to release something like this to cover it?

Well technically this was a last minute decision for theaters and was originally intended for the first three TV episodes. George Lucas saw these and said "Hey, This is good. Let's put it in theaters." I think if everyone goes in with this in mind, it makes the SW:CW experience much more enjoyable. Much Like SW: Episode I, this is NOT geared towards the older crowds of original Trilogy Fans. If you can't appreciate the direction George went with I and II (which was to draw a young crowd to ultimatelly grow up to III) than CW will not be very appealing to you. However, if you can appreciate the "Fun side of the Force" as i call it, like Jedi Mickey, Darth Tater, Tag & Binks, you should enjoy this film. Plus, if you have kids, whether or not they were previous fans of SW, they will most likely enjoy this film due to a new kid character they can relate to (Anakin's Padawan, Ashoka Tano, which is a wonderful addition to the overall SW universe), campy humor (mostly from the newly talkative Droid army that we saw a bit in III), and a unique yet appealing animated format. Overall, i think this gives everything a Star Wars Movie is supposed to have, shed in a fun new light that you either love or hate. Despite all the negative reviews however, the legions of fans will still love star wars, kids will still like the TV show, and George Lucas' giant swimming pool of Money will be even deeper now.

Oh QG if you look at Rotten Tomatoe, you will see that 54% of the Community thought it was good, 5% of Critics thought it was Good, But Critics aren't very trustworthy when it comes to Animation, or Star Wars, let alone Both together

#8 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:57 AM

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure once it comes out on DVD, I'll be seeing it alot :lol:

My son and husband went yesterday and they both enjoyed it. My son loved the original Clone Wars shows on Cartoon Network so for him this was just an extension of that. He loved it, he thought the battles were good, the movie was exciting and he loved the humor. (Although DH said the padawan was really annoying!) So I guess in that respect, they hit their target audience.

His birthday is coming up....guess what toys and games are going to top his wish list? Let's face it, the movie is one big advertisement for the new show and for the merchandising.

#9 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:28 AM

Obi Wan saying things like "darling" just didn't cut it. And having tea to talk about negotations, while the war is going on around them; that was just silly.
We had to go, because it was "star wars", but it wasn't very good.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#10 User is offline   kimdben 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

People were excited to hear Episode one coming out, and it sucked by star wars fans expectations.

I happened to like Ep 1 as well as Jar Jar (which is everyone's bone to pick). It's kinda like comparing Grease 1 with Grease 2, it can't be done-if you actually want to enjoy the second movie. I happen to like both Grease movies, where some do not (expectations once again-let down).
Ep 1 IS different from Eps 4-6. Different cast, different story, people put too much expectation on it and got let done. Their expectations were too high. If you look at it from a starting point point of view then it isn't as bad as most people say. I enjoyed it as well as all of the other live action SW movies.

As for Clone Wars- I haven't seen it yet and probably won't till it comes out on DVD. My brother saw it and hated it. We both weren't impressed with the original shorts (I saw them on DVD only). He said this movie was similiar, but different. Too anime and over the top for his taste. I didn't really have any expectations toward this one other than it would be similiar to the shorts.

But Critics aren't very trustworthy when it comes to Animation, or Star Wars, let alone Both together

Critics aren't trustworthy when it comes to reviews anyhow. My personal feeling about critics is that they are so jaded by watching movies day in and day out that they no longer just enjoy them. I watch the Oscars and wonder what the various members were thinking when they claimed this movie or that movie was worthy of a nomination let alone an award.
Critics have their personal favorites just like we do. Just like us, they have to be in the right mood to see a particular type of movie. If you're not in the mood, you can't enjoy what you are watching. Unfortunately some of them don't care for SciFi (or maybe just Star Wars in particular) and some don't like animation. Some animation is better than others.
Story means everything, no matter the genre. If there is no good story then it doesn't matter if every critic sees it, it's gonna be slammed.
Kim
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is offline   Croaker 

• Studios Regular

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:19 PM

off track a little. anyone seen this? its funny! http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zzoeEdW-EDQ

I think they need to move forward with anything StarWars. quit reliving the past...its done..the story told, don't fill in the blanks...move forward..show us the next chapter..not the skipped chapter.

#12 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

Croaker said:

off track a little. anyone seen this? its funny! http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zzoeEdW-EDQ

I think they need to move forward with anything StarWars. quit reliving the past...its done..the story told, don't fill in the blanks...move forward..show us the next chapter..not the skipped chapter.

That's the point. There isn't a next Chapter. Anakin is Dead. George's Story is over, now it is everyone else's stroy :cry:

#13 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

I just got back from the movie, and all I can say is the true SW fans will definitely be disappointed... but the kids will love it. :roll:

Old news? Perhaps. But hey, at least I got a free refill of my large popcorn (gotta love AMC's concession policy), so I got to walk out of the theater with a bag of popcorn in my clutches. Couldn't finish it by the time I got home though. Didn't expect to. LOL
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#14 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:16 AM

Wow... Lots of Clone Wars Stuff popped up today. Despite the harsh reviews of the movie, according to StarWars.com. the Novelization of the film is doing very very well, and Wired magazine just gave some very positive reviews of the show saying that it might be the best show in the fall line-up for kids and adults. Looks like that Star Tours: The Clone Wars might not be to crazy of an idea after all

#15 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

Here's my review of the movie in a nutshell

Its a pretty good television show
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#16 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

I'm following this. I thought everyone knew going in this was the first three episodes or so of the Cartoon series. The idea was to hit a target audience and stir some interest, not make another Star Wars movie to stand with the others.

I'm not sure I want to even get into what true Star Wars Fans thought of the prequels. I'm still looking for the guidelines that determine who is a true fan. I've been around a while and seen them all in their original runs... (see 1977 release) do I qualify? Fans often get lost in what they EXPECT to see rather than being accepting of the story the author wants to tell. Not that everything is roses, but too often people get caught up in their expectations rather than accepting that they are not on the production team.

The orignial trilogy would be thought of this way no matter how the prequels were percieved. Too much time had past and going back to recreate the pre story was never going to appear seemless.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#17 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

There is no such thing as a true fan of Star Wars just a fan of Star wars which you obviously are and I think I am. Whether you just like the original trilogy or you dress like Darth Nihilus at conventions.

I thought the movie was a B/B-. I look forward to the series. I loved the original trilogy, revenge of the sith, and dark horse comics

I could do without the Phantom menace in comparison
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#18 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

In my mind a true Star Wars fans likes what they like about Star Wars no matter what craziness George Lucas approves, meaning, if you just like the Originals, than you respect that there are those that like the prequels, if you don't like the cartoon you respect those that do. A true Star Wars Fan doesn't have to like everything with a Star Wars tag on it, they just like what they like for their own reasons and acknowledge that there are others that like the parts that they don't

#19 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

I'm enjoying it right now
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#20 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

I must say the TV Series is a SIGNIFICANT improvement on the "movie" and i'm actually glad they decided not to make those three episodes the first three of the season. The very first episode "Ambush" with Yoda was great, it finally brought the more Muppety Yoda that we all fell in love with in Episode V back instead of this serious "Begun the Clone Wars Has" character. Plus with previews it looks like me might get some Episodes with Jar Jar falling in the middle of actual war situations (too bad neither clones nor droids are straight shots....) and maybe some Ashoka-less episodes. Now don't get me wrong. I like Ashoka as a character just not the "Sky Guy" "Artooie" banter... But hey she is like supposed to be an 11-13 year old girl so it could be worse.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users