Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:49 PM

http://unstoppableforce.forummotion.com/re...y-t368.htm#1104

Thought you guys might like to see this

#2 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:43 AM

So is this saying Disney is going to bid on Sea World parks?

Interesting... I will let Matt say his signiture phrase... but once he does i will agree emphatically.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

"seeing is believing"

Actually, I'm surprised Disney is going to seriously consider buying Sea World, especially given the state of the economy right now and after they just shelled out big bucks to get Pixar (last year?).

From a fan standpoint, I'd love for Disney to buy Sea World. From a Wall Street standpoint, I don't see the compelling reason for them to do so.

#4 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

Unless they find a way to 'synergize' (I have been listening to a lot of Netcot lately) the two parks I just don't see it. But if they did synergize who would enjoy that? It would be wierd seeing anythng disney in a sea world park...

Wait... oh dear... Little mermaid... finding nemo... THE PARK.

Ok soo maybe it could work after all. But I doubt they would attempt that... probably just assume ownership, clean the place up and disnefiy the service...

#5 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

I can picture this happening myself. Plus the Orlando Sea World now consists of Three Parks. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Disney bought them and made one Atlantica (Little Mermaid theme), the other Nemo Themed, and the third, of course, Pirates of the Caribbean Themed lol. But in actuality, I think if Universal has any brains whatsoever they will do whatever it takes to get those parks, because if Disney got them, Universal Orlando would be totally dead...

#6 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:16 PM

You have to look at this offer through a business owner's eyes. Disney's Orlando offerings are the most popular theme parks in the WORLD. Do they really need to up the ante in Florida? Not really. The problem with this kind of acquisition is that its huge. Sea World/Busch Gardens owns properties all over the place including Orlando, San Diego, Williamsberg, Tampa Bay, and other location. If Disney wanted to expand outside of Orlando, this would be their chance.

I have my doubts that they'll go for this. Disney is not into acquiring previously owned properties. They'd rather tear down what's there and rebuild. At a certain point, they'd over saturate the market and be their own worst competition. After all, if they have a theme park in every state, wouldn't that affect their Orlando attendance?

#7 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

surfpark said:

You have to look at this offer through a business owner's eyes. Disney's Orlando offerings are the most popular theme parks in the WORLD. Do they really need to up the ante in Florida? Not really. The problem with this kind of acquisition is that its huge. Sea World/Busch Gardens owns properties all over the place including Orlando, San Diego, Williamsberg, Tampa Bay, and other location. If Disney wanted to expand outside of Orlando, this would be their chance.

I have my doubts that they'll go for this. Disney is not into acquiring previously owned properties. They'd rather tear down what's there and rebuild. At a certain point, they'd over saturate the market and be their own worst competition. After all, if they have a theme park in every state, wouldn't that affect their Orlando attendance?

Well that's kinda what is interesting in this. The report i found only mentions the Orlando property. Not Bush Gardens or any other Sea World, just Orlando.
However, I still think their is too many bumps in the road right now for Disney to do this.

#8 User is offline   Studio Kid 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Visiting the Studios

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:50 PM

I think they should buy
but don't change much
PLEASE NO NEMO ANYTHING BUT NEMO.
Maybe add a Pirate's Land that would be cool but don't change much and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NEMO. Plus I would get to experience a disney park closer to home. Busch Gardens Willamsburg.
Like Homer would say woo-hoo oh wait that's universal sorry i meant to say
Oh Boy :D

#9 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

Don't forget Sea World/Busch Entertainment recently commited to 4 new theme parks in Dubai. Whoever buys the parks will have that to deal with one way or another.

#10 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attr...,4916547.column

The Orlando Sentinel comments on this. It's at least semi serious than, however they aren't the brightest bunch all the time so everything is to be taken with a grain of salt. I mean these are the folks that Claim Spider-Man is the best attraction at any Orlando Theme Park.

As for Disney getting it, unlikely, yes, unreasonable financially, yes, however the bonus of getting Sea World, even if they tear it down, would mean less people at other parks, more at Disney, and would give Universal an even higher bar to reach

#11 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

so when can we expect Shamu's trainers to be dressed like Buzz and Ariel
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#12 User is offline   Owen 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

I highly doubt Disney will make any sort of offer to takeover the Entertainment section of AB.

Disney are cutting back a lot at the moment, just look at the large number of employee's being laid off. It wouldn't fit in with what Disney are doing to combat the financial crisis if they make such a large investment.

If they did however I doubt we would see and sort of major Disney influence in the parks, I expect they would just own the parks, not try to Disney them up.

#13 User is offline   Preston 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:theme parks

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

Disney has everything they want as far as parks and resorts in FL right now.

They have a 'world' of their own with all of that property and they only have transportation in that world. They don't want you seeing other parks and attractions all down international or I4. They have you there.

It would be a mistake for Disney to buy Sea World.

#14 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

That's the point though. There are other parks out there, and people know about them, and go to them. Buying Seaworld eliminates some of their competition

#15 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

Exactly. It also allows them to shape the market. Elminate competition. Ensure the two park systems are working more in tune with one another and not trying to low ball and underbid one another... or release rides at the same tiem and the like.

The problem is that competition is a good thing! When universal makes a great new ride... well... what does Disney do?

Then again... sea world with access to Disney style imagineering (not character overlays mind you) might be something to see.

#16 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

But I think that, at least with my experiences, Disney's competition is competing among themselves for the couple days people aren't doing Disney on their trip. Eliminating SeaWorld wouldn't really do too much I don't think.

#17 User is offline   Preston 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:theme parks

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

darthstich said:

That's the point though. There are other parks out there, and people know about them, and go to them. Buying Seaworld eliminates some of their competition

I definately understand what you are saying but that is not Disney's business goal. As Walt Disney World. It keeps people on their property, most staying only at their hotels, eating only at their resturants, shopping only at their stores and using only their Hess Gas stations. The entire point is the longer you stay on property, the more money they are going to make. It would be a terrible business move in most of their eyes to do something like that. Letting guests drive out there, seeing the thousands of other restruants and businesses, and being that much more likely to go eat, sleep at them. Or go ahead on over to Universal property while they are out there.

Even a bus system would have to pass all of those Central FL attractions.

As said before, it would not be the best thing for fans. For competition is healthy and forces progress.

#18 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

The other challenge would be what to do with the other Sea World parks outside Orlando. They probably could pair up San Diego with Disneyland as a lot of people do both anyways, but what about the Sea World parks nowhere near a Disney resort?

#19 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

Sleepless Knight said:

The other challenge would be what to do with the other Sea World parks outside Orlando. They probably could pair up San Diego with Disneyland as a lot of people do both anyways, but what about the Sea World parks nowhere near a Disney resort?

Firstly, Only the Orlando property is reportedly being sold, however, if there isn't a Disney park near by, it would make great sense to buy those parks, if they were ever sold, so they have a foot hold there, even if they tear it down and start from scratch.

I admit, it is unlikely for Disney to buy it, none the less, it's still interesting to see if it will happen.

#20 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

I see what you're saying, but I think only buying one opens up a whole new can of worms because people will expect that they'll own the others. Likewise, if they buy up the non FL and CA Sea Worlds and don't put a Disneyland clone there, people will wonder what's going on.

I think the company has had opportunities for expansion beyond Orlando and Anaheim in the U.S., but isn't going down that route. The Disney's America park was shot down and DCA in Anaheim was very diffferent from the proposed Westcot because local residents protested(and then got a park that didn't deliver what they wanted it to).

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users