Studios Central: American Idol coming to ABC/Superstar Theatre! - Studios Central

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

American Idol coming to ABC/Superstar Theatre!

#1 User is offline   EpcotServo 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:theme Parks, WDW, Mystery Science Theatre 3000, Imagineering, and movies.

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

Read it and weep....

Posted Image

"LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Feb. 7, 2008) -- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will create an "American Idol" attraction that will bring the television and pop culture phenomenon to life at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, it was jointly announced today by Jay Rasulo, chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts; Simon Fuller, CEO of 19 Entertainment; and Keith Hindle, executive vice president of FremantleMedia Licensing.The attraction, slated to debut in late 2008, will be located at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park and will follow the model of the high-energy show. Disney guests will be able to experience the challenge of auditioning, the rush of performing on stage in competition, or the thrill of judging the performances in a live interactive entertainment setting with all the glitz and glamour of the distinctive "American Idol" set.

That experience will include an audition process, open to all who register, where guests perform “live” in front of a Disney’s Hollywood Studios producer to be cast in a theme park show. After backstage preparation -- working with a vocal coach, hair and make-up -- it’s lights up and showtime in front of a “live” audience and a panel of judges.

Guest performers with the highest votes will compete in an end-of-day Grand Finale show at Walt Disney World, and the winner of the Grand Finale show will receive a guaranteed reservation for a future regional stadium audition -- to ensure no waiting in long lines. But when it comes down to the television show auditions, everyone is treated equal.

"Millions of people have imagined themselves standing on the 'American Idol' stage," said Rasulo. "We're excited that we will be bringing this dream to life every day at Walt Disney World."

Added Fuller, "One of the most remarkable elements about 'American Idol' is that for a brief moment each week, we can provide TV viewers the opportunity to imagine life as America's next superstar. Disney's new attraction perfectly captures what we at 'American Idol' feel is the heart and soul of this brand, real people getting a shot to make their dream a reality."

"This partnership," noted Hindle, "brings the number one show on television, watched in over 100 countries, to the number one theme park destination in the world. It's a perfect combination and opportunity to offer everyone a taste of the 'American Idol' experience."

The coming "American Idol" attraction will reflect the best and brightest of the TV show, giving starry-eyed park guests a chance to become a star on the attraction's stage. It joins an all-star lineup at Disney's Hollywood Studios, a celebration of today's Hollywood in movies, television, music and theater. Among the new adventures debuting in 2008 is the just-opened "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" plus coming attractions "Block Party Bash," an interactive and moving Disney-Pixar spectacle filling the theme park streets; and Toy Story Mania! immersing guests in a 3-D interactive ride-through video game starring popular Disney-Pixar "Toy Story" characters."

Yep...from the makers of "Get happy with ABC" comes..."Get Sick with FOX!"

#2 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:43 PM

I can tell you right now that this attraction will NOT get any attendance points. :lol:
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

I don't know how anyone can pass judgement on it considering no one has seen a show of it yet.

Keep in mind for those who dont like the idea, nothing based on a TV show lasts forever at WDW and I believe every single attraction based on a TV show has eventually closed (Millionaire, Doug, various editions of Playhouse Disney to name a few).

Besides, they're finally doing something with the ABC Theater!

Concept art for the attraction
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quick promo video Disney made for American Idol

#4 User is offline   Blixzit 

• Studios God

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

I agree with you Matt, as much as I could care less about an American Idol attraction, I'm glad that the ABC Theater isn't just sitting there useless.

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:37 PM

Another article with some interesting tidbits

'Idol' Attraction Coming to Disney World
By DERRIK J. LANG,
AP
Posted: 2008-02-07 16:14:50
NEW YORK (AP) - Disney World is about to get a little pitchy, dawg.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced plans Thursday to create a live performance attraction based on "American Idol" at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park - formerly called Disney-MGM Studios - in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

"Our goal is to try to recreate the excitement of those 24 people who show up on that 'American Idol' stage," Disney Parks chairman Jay Rasulo told The Associated Press. "We believe many, many viewers want to know exactly how that feels, and we're going to try to reproduce that feeling for them."

Much like the hugely popular Fox singing competition, the as-yet-unnamed attraction - scheduled to open in late 2008 - will allow theme park guests to audition then perform before a live studio audience inside the Hollywood Studios' theater space formerly occupied by the "Doug Live!" and "Superstar Television" attractions.

Disney licensed the rights to create the attraction from "Idol" co-producers 19 Entertainment and FremantleMedia, despite the fact "American Idol" airs on Fox and Disney owns broadcast competitor ABC.

"It is owned by us, so we can extend the brand in the off-air space in the ways that we want to," said Keith Hindle, FremantleMedia's licensing vice president. "We don't see this in any way as a NewsCorp. vs. Disney debate. That's never been part of the discussion, and it's not something that's relevant to us. It's just part of 'American Idol."'

The attraction's details are still being worked out, but it will probably operate something like this: Theme park guests ages 14 and up will be able to audition for a Disney casting producer. Those who pass the test will be selected to appear in one of the park's "Idol" stage shows. Rasulo anticipates six to eight such shows a day.

Backstage, the performers will receive hair and makeup touchups from a stylist and singing tips from a vocal coach. Then, the guests will perform on an "Idol"-like set in front of a live audience and three judges. No, not Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell. Instead, Rasulo says it's likely three audience members will be selected to evaluate the performers while a live host will keep the show moving.

Top audience vote-getters will compete in a grand finale show at the end of each day. Overall daily champs will win a special front-of-the-line pass at a regional audition for the actual "American Idol" show. Hindle says Disney winners won't be given any special treatment during the real audition, just the ability to skip ahead.

Because of eligibility differences - namely, the TV show's 16- to 28-year-old age limit - winners may be offered the option of transferring their pass to a friend or family member, but they won't be allowed to sell it. Daily champs too young to audition for the real deal could save the pass until they're old enough to compete, according to Hindle.

But will there be enough Fantasias and Sanyayas to keep theme park audiences captivated?

"I know that there's enough talent on any given day in our theme parks to keep people entertained," said Rasulo.

Beyond the attraction, Hindle says actual "Idol" stars may make appearances throughout the year and merchandise designed by both FremantleMedia and Disney's product divisions especially for the attraction would be available for sale.

"It's a very collaborative process," Hindle said. "Disney knows more about live stage productions that we ever will. We know more about our TV show that Disney ever will. Exactly how this will manifest it is something that will be mutually approved by all parties. We're looking to Disney to see how their guests like to be entertained."

#6 User is offline   TiggerRay 

• Studios God

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

QuickGold said:

I don't know how anyone can pass judgement on it considering no one has seen a show of it yet.

Keep in mind for those who dont like the idea, nothing based on a TV show lasts forever at WDW and I believe every single attraction based on a TV show has eventually closed (Millionaire, Doug, various editions of Playhouse Disney to name a few).

Besides, they're finally doing something with the ABC Theater!

I can Matt....I don't watch the show on TV and this attraction hold no interest for me at all. I can assure you we'll never see this show.

I really wish they'd spend some time and money on good attraction rather than jumping on the trendy bandwagon.

This is a short term band-aid.

You're point Matt is my point. Not only that...they jump on the TV show bandwagon late. Doug had lost it's popularity when they brought in the stage show, Millionaire was past it's hey day when they put in the show and AI has seen it's better days.

Not only are they trendy....but they're late in jumping on the trend.

I don't buy the "they're doing something with the ABC theater" idea Matt...a bad idea is as good doing nothing...actually it's worse..it uses company resources and the reward will be negligible. This show won't bring more people to the Studios. It won't make it more than a 3/4 day park.
Disneyland - a people trap run by a mouse.

#7 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

I think I'm going to like this attraction. The ABC theater had been dark for quite some time and I'm glad it will be used. In a way I feel the park has expanded a bit with this attraction because the theater had been unused for so long.

The concept picture looks really cool. It looks like an extensive refurbishment of the exterior of the theater. If they sink that much money into renovating the exterior you can bet this attraction will be around for a while.

I guess I'm a bit partial since I try to sing... :lol:

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

I can understand if you don't enjoy the glitzy TV version Ray, but I think the personal element to this attraction with real guests as contestants and real guests as judges make it to me a much different show than what we see on TV.

You do have a good point about being late on the bandwagon idea. It's a solid observation.

I know when Millionaire came to the Studos I didn't even think twice about it. I watched the show a couple times but the idea of an attraction didn't do much for me. Then I went to the attraction. And I fell in love with it. So you never know.

I posted concept art here.

#9 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

Hm. Seems interesting. Guests have wanted more interaction in the parks and it looks like this will be a big deal for those looking for it. Oh well. I like the concept art. It obviously shows the potential that eventually, AI will get changed out in a few years. We'll see what happens later this year. . .
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#10 User is offline   TiggerRay 

• Studios God

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:38 AM

The attraction's details are still being worked out, but it will probably operate something like this: Theme park guests ages 14 and up will be able to audition for a Disney casting producer. Those who pass the test will be selected to appear in one of the park's "Idol" stage shows. Rasulo anticipates six to eight such shows a day.

Backstage, the performers will receive hair and makeup touchups from a stylist and singing tips from a vocal coach. Then, the guests will perform on an "Idol"-like set in front of a live audience and three judges. No, not Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell. Instead, Rasulo says it's likely three audience members will be selected to evaluate the performers while a live host will keep the show moving.

Top audience vote-getters will compete in a grand finale show at the end of each day. Overall daily champs will win a special front-of-the-line pass at a regional audition for the actual "American Idol" show. Hindle says Disney winners won't be given any special treatment during the real audition, just the ability to skip ahead.

When I look at this....I see a potential huge time commitment. I just can't see this to be a big draw other than to watch the finale show.

Wouldn't this fit in better at Pleasure Island?
Disneyland - a people trap run by a mouse.

#11 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:21 AM

Am I the only one that likes the idea... :lol: We like the show and after Millionaire closing I think it's a good addition. My son is a HUGE fan and got all excited, until we read the age limit... 14 :x He will be 12 in June so I hope it lasts for at least two years. Or they have a kids version.
The only problem is, where are they going to hold the SWW events that they had here :?: American Idol is fine, but don't mess with SWW :lol:
Matt, any info on this :?:

#12 User is offline   elchippo 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:56 AM

Funny how they drop the MGM from the name to further their sole ownership of the park and one of the first things they do is license Fox's biggest franchise...

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

yulilin said:

The only problem is, where are they going to hold the SWW events that they had here :?: American Idol is fine, but don't mess with SWW :lol:
Matt, any info on this :?:
I imagine the ABC theater will be out of commission for SWW but hopefuly the Backlot Theater will be ready for SWW to hold some events in there.

There's been a lot of flack for this attraction around the net so far and I'm going to reserve judgement on how good or bad this is until it's actually complete and I can see it.

#14 User is offline   DebWDW 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:56 PM

I wondered how many people were really going to be brave enough to perform every day, until I saw the line about winning a "front of the line" pass to a regional audition.

I think that prize will draw people who are really serious about Idol into DHS. I could see some performers coming for several days or weekends in a row until they are a daily champ and win the pass.

I'm not an Idol fan, but I'll check it out at least once. And I really do think the design looks great, and will really help to add energy back into that area.

#15 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:17 PM

Back when the Paramount Parks had movie and television themes, before being bought by Cedar un-Fair, they had an interactive show called Star Search Live! This show was themed after the television show of the same name and was extremely unpopular.

I was at PKI on it's peak, shoulder-to-shoulder midways, and it barely drew a crowd. They even had trouble just getting the minimum amount of people to get up in front of people to sing (and it wasn't even restricted to age so it was mainly kids being pulled it). I'm telling you, people don't want to waste time embarrassing themselves in front of an audience when they paid good money to be there.

People don't want to waste there time watching other people embarrass themselves when they paid money to see talent (instead you get the people in line preforming for you instead of someone Disney paid). I see this folding in the not-to-distant future but for now, it's nice it's just not being used for storage (like another stage we know).

Maybe we'll get something timeless, instead of the pop culture crap they keep filling the parks with lately, next time!

Skippy

#16 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

I think this is going to be a nice addition to the Studios. I mean, really, did we all expect the ABC theater to be gutted and tunred into some other ride-through, animatronics attraction. It's a theater...It will probably always be a theater. What made sense from Disney's perspective was to fill it with a theater type show. I think American Idol fits the bill very well. Anybody who was expecting more was probably expecting too much, IMHO.

#17 User is offline   elchippo 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

I know details are still rolling out, but is this going to be done everyday? It sounds like a looooong and arduous process to put out just one show-a LOT of upkeep. I also wouldn't want to give up an entrie day of my vacation to get ready for it if I was performing......but that isn't to say there aren't a lot of folks who would be willing to do that.

Are we thinking there will be just one show per day? They can't possibly have the time or talent to do multiple based on what we've heard thus far......

One last thing, do we think this will uproot the Television hall of fame busts? I know probably no one else cares but I always get a kick out of them......based on the conceptual designs, Idol would probably swallow up their space, don'tcha think?

#18 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

I found this article in USA Today, sent to me by Disney Link

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destination...ican-idol_N.htm
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#19 User is offline   elchippo 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

queenofthehouse said:

I found this article in USA Today, sent to me by Disney Link

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destination...ican-idol_N.htm

Geez from the sound of it, that show is going to require a LOT of upkeep. Will it still be getting the attention it requires after its been there for two or three years? This sounds more like an annual event, not a six to eight times a day, everyday attraction!

But i guess we'll see....hooray for the ABC Theatre (or rather, Idol Theatre) getting a new tenant! Just don't move the busts....

#20 User is offline   Blixzit 

• Studios God

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:47 PM

I think the front of the line pass as a prize may cause problems. Sorta like when Soarin' first opened and guests in the stand-by line where getting in to fist fights with guests in the fastpass line. Thats why they built the wall between the two. Think about it, a guest wins a YoaMD dream fastpass and then wins the competition and gets another pass...

I think they should exclude any YoaMD winners for the prize, or at least change the prize.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users