• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disneyland

#21 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:02 AM

Thanks Photog! All the info is awsome. I look forward to hearing about your trip.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#22 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

Is the Vineyard Room better than Napa Rose? I really like Napa Rose, but I've never tried the Vineyard.

#23 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

Hmmm, I'm currently weighing blowing a chunk of change on the Grand Californian, or the Disneyland Hotel vs. saving money and staying off property at one of the other close Hotels like the Anaheim Fairfield Inn. So far I haven't been able to get off of the fence. I want to be close to the parks and keep things very simple while I am there. But if it is just as easy to do from off site..... I just don't know yet. But the planning is definately under way. This thread, mousesavers and a few books are already making this much easier! :lol:
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#24 User is offline   kathyj0 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography, Disney, Travel, Scuba

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

I always choose off-site. You can get a decent hotel and still be right across the street from the main entrance.

While I love the Grand Californian, I'm not willing to pay the price for it.

BTW - if you plan to go to the Blue Bayou for a Monte Cristo, don't make the mistake that so many people do . . . it's ONLY served at lunch.

Anything else? I've been going for 43 years, 100's of visits . . . just ask.
Kathy

#25 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

We're staying at the Disneyland Hotel for our honeymoon. The DL hotel is I feel a good middle between Grand Californian. We're staying on site because it's our first trip to DL and we want to do this "right" (not sure when we'll be able to get back again). Plus it is our honeymoon :lol:

#26 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

I'm not sure I think staying "on site" is as big a deal at DL as it is at WDW. The area just isn't as immersive as at WDW--I've never been to Universal in Orlando, but I would imagine it's similar to that, with 2 parks and a large shopping/eating area surrounded by a variety of small hotels and chain restaurants.

The one thing I would say about the Disney hotels is that they're probably as nice as you can get without having to have a car. There are other hotels you could walk from, but they tend to be a little divey. There are other nicer hotels, but walking would take more time and energy than I'd want to put in after a day at DL. On the third hand, however, not having a car in Southern California would give me hives, so I'd probably get one anyway.

#27 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

I'm starting to lean towards staying off site. The further I get into planning the tighter I get with my money. In a perfect world I would stay at the Gand Califonian, but as Kathyjo said, I'm not willing to pay the price. Also like Jeanine said, I MUST to have a car.

I think staying with an "off property" place might help me better cope with the differences between a WDW Resort and the way Disney Land is "less" immersive. It may lower my expectations to the point where I can focus on the things that have brought me there in the first place.

POFQ May 16-19

#28 User is offline   kathyj0 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

And there are some very nice hotels within walking distance. Hilton and Marriot are maybe 5-10 minutes walk. The HOJO is right on Harbor Blvd and is very nice. With a car you have many more options, but So.Cal. traffic can be a bit intimidating to a first time visitor.

I usually do rent a car, and typically stay in Santa Ana or other nearby communities. But, I have the advantage of knowing the neighborhoods and an Annual Pass that includes parking.

If you aren't interested in getting outside of the Anaheim resort area, the Super Shuttle from the airport is very nice, inexpensive, and reliable.
Kathy

#29 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Golf, Disney (duh)

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

Generally, I'd say stay off-site unless the cost doesn't bother you at all. The exception to that would be if you are in Matt's position, where you are planning a special trip and want to make it as immersive as possible. In that case, then the DLH or GC are good choices. Paradise Pier Hotel, not so much.

The GC is the best choice by a pretty wide margin if you can swing it. I'm not saying I would pay the prices, but it is a very nice hotel and is in a great location. We stayed their once using DVC points. It's the only hotel of the three at Disney that could be plopped down in WDW as a deluxe and measure up.

I'd be wary of construction though, since they are building the new section that will include the DVC units. If anyone does look to book there I'd ask to stay away from that.

But if your trip is more to see and appreciate Walt's park rather than try to have a WDW-like vacation, or if you plan to come back in the future, off-site is more than fine.

Also, if you are planning to take in other SoCal sights, staying on-site loses a lot of it's benefit.

Sith, you mentioned the Anaheim Fairfield Inn. If you stay there, you will actually be closer to the park entrances than if you stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. From what you seem to be looking for out of your trip, the Fairfield sounds like a good choice.

You can always schedule a meal in the GC and/or DLH if you want to spend a little time in them, or you can just walk around the lobbies and such.

#30 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

I'm not sure you have to lower your expectations, either. I just went to DL for the first time in a few months to see the holiday decor, and it struck me how the experience is different, and yet no less charming than going to WDW.

WDW is like going to a metropolis--everything is big, and there's space, and you can get totally encompassed by it.

DL is like going to a small village, where things are smaller, but well-proportioned, with almost a hand-made feel to it. Where you could almost imagine people going step-by-step through the whole thing, adding details and polishing finials as they go.

Perhaps the difference is that, at WDW, the magic expands to envelop you. At DL, maybe you become small again, to fit the magic.

#31 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

We are working hard now to set up the basics of our trip. For this one we are also talking with a travel agent to see what sort of deals are out there, but it definately looks as though we are staying off property.... so to speak. We decided for us that might be the best way to avoid the constant comparisons to a WDW Resort type of visit. I know I spend most of the time in the morning trying to find my Food Court... only to be frustrated. :lol:

POFQ May 16-19

#32 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

Sith,

If your hotel has a Continental Breakfast, be glad. There is nothing like strolling into the dining hall with a plate of waffles that you just freshly made yourself hot off the iron. I have done this before, and it is a wonderful feeling.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#33 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

I'm thinking about flying in to the Ontario, CA airport. Does anyone have any quick thoughts on this? I'm not wild about going in to LAX and remain worried about traffic.

POFQ May 16-19

#34 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:46 PM

If you're concerned about traffic, I'm not sure I'd recommend Ontario--not only is it ~2x as far, but the traffic can be crappy from that direction as well. In general, traffic is hideouser going E->W in the AM, and W->E in the PM. On the other hand, the Ontario Mills Mall is conveniently located for your outlet shopping needs.

My choice for airports would be: LGB>SNA>LAX. I consider ONT too far, and the traffic from BUR too bad for either of them to be viable choices for me.

#35 User is offline   kathyj0 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

I would choose Orange County (SNA) over all the others - just to avoid the drive.

SNA to the park area is just a short distance.
Kathy

#36 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

Thank you both.... I"m now rethinking initial plan. (SNA) is a nice option, it is just hard to get a good rate on a SW flight there. I'm working on it.

POFQ May 16-19

#37 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

Yeah, SNA is closer, but LGB always gets points for me for being so tiny and cute. Plus the art deco exterior and the outside luggage carousel always makes me think of what it must have been like to arrive in California, back in the day.

But yes, SNA would probably be the practical and more economical choice.

#38 User is offline   SamIAm 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Disney, Traveling, My Puppy

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:17 PM

I traveled to DL in 2006 in order to see the 50th Anniversary and where it all started. Beware of Disneyland... it will capture a spot in your heart and that's a long flight to the left coast, so I don't get to go as often. DAGNABIT!

If you can't afford the Disneyland Hotel, which does look like a great hotel, I can heartily recommend the Howard Johnson on Harbor Blvd. Now, before you stop reading, it's really one of the nicer hotel/motels there on Harbor and it's walking distance. It's not fancy, but they have nice grounds, really clean rooms, comfortable and some nice pools. From the main pool you can get a great view of and even sometimes hear (if the wind is right) the music for the fireworks.

If you book through Disney Travel and stay off property, you can get a three day park hopper which entitles you get one early entry and one early Toon Town Madness morning. However, if you stay on property, I think you can take advantage of each early entry morning available during your stay.

If you can't get into Blue Bayou, definitely check out Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen! Great food and fun atmosphere. You can stop in the morning too for beignets and great coffee! Best coffee on property.

#39 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

Ahhh beignets and Coffee!!!! (I'm having a Stitch moment!) Thanks for the advice! We are setting things up right now and it is good to know the HO JO is in play.

We have been strongly considering the Marriot Anaheim Main Gate. I'm hoping to have this locked up in the next few days. 8)

POFQ May 16-19

#40 User is offline   kathyj0 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:24 PM

Marriott is nice. I've stayed at the Hilton and the Hyatt. Hilton and Marriott are walking distance, Hyatt not so much. HOJO is supposed to be very good. Haven't stayed, but it is just across the road.
Kathy

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users