• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Saratoga Springs???

#1 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:37 PM

With the new AP promo, I could only get a resrevation for a studio at Saratoga Springs. Has anyone ever stayed there before? Let me know what you think. And do they have a food court?
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#2 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:03 AM

Saratoga is very spread out! Try to request a building near the main building. They have a food court. They do have a full service restaurant which is supposedly very good. It's also pretty close to DTD so you can walk there.

Since it is a DVC resort, the studios have kitchenettes which are nice to have with kids. There is a microwave, small fridge, coffee maker.

http://www.mouseowne...om/SSRHome.html

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

The main knock I've heard on SSR is the bus service is well, terrible. If you're going to stay there, be sure and rent a car.

Of course, I defer to Kim (aka Ms. DVC) and her opinions on the resort.

#4 User is offline   matthewbritt72 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

My wife and I stayed there before it was completed. We both liked it very much. Our only complaint was that there was not a lot of food choices and although Downttown Disney is next door, it is still a long walk to get there. However since then it looks like they have put in a sit down restaurant. The last weekend of SWW I had reservations for Port Orleans but it was cheaper for me to switch to the Saratoga. The pool was really nice (probably due to the fact that my wife and I were the only ones in it that evening) and I am looking forward to going back there.

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:09 PM

Matthew, it was cheaper to stay at SSR than Riverside? :shock: Seems odd to me a moderate is more expensive than SSR, which is a DVC resort, which I believe is considered a deluxe.

#6 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

Actually he is correct Matt. One of my friends was looking for reservations for December and she could stay at Saratoga Springs for about $50 cheaper than Coronado Springs, Riverside, or French Quarter. We were shocked.

I've never stayed at Saratoga, but I have spent many hours at it. It is the ONE fast service counter that's actually on my DDE card, so I get 20% off on meals there... the restaurant IS amazing, and although we had horrible serivce with our waiter (we were just at the bar outside the restaurant getting after dinner drinks), the manager came and took care of us and was amazing! We were beign ignored, and basically we got "to go" beverages. Which is wrong on so many levels since you can't drive with alcoholic beverages, but the manager offered us ANYTHING we wanted. We could have eaten dinner on the house because of bad service, but we just left since we weren't hungry.

It's very pretty. I definitely loved it though! Even though I wasn't there very long!
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#7 User is offline   matthewbritt72 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:02 PM

For some reason the June AP rates are only for select deluxe rates. The AP rates for the moderate resorts don't kick in until July 1st. So through June it is actually about $10 cheaper a night to stay at Saratoga or Old Key West than it is to stay at the moderate resorts at normal summer rates.

#8 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

QuickGold said:

Matthew, it was cheaper to stay at SSR than Riverside? :shock: Seems odd to me a moderate is more expensive than SSR, which is a DVC resort, which I believe is considered a deluxe.

The AP promo is for selected DVC resorts, but not anywhere else. Saratoga Springs was 169/night and because CCB was not part of the promo it would have been 199/night. And when I asked about Wilderness Lodge, where I usually get a really great AP rate, they wanted to charge me $305/night. So that's why I ended up at Saratoga Springs. It would not have been my choice, because the bus ride is so long to get to any of the parks.
I'll consider a car, but I've never rented one before. I usually just use the bus. I did hear that they have a water launch from the resort to DTD, and it also goes over to POR.
I'm getting excited now; a new resort. I love trying out new places.

Thanks for the tips,
Maureen
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#9 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

matthewbritt72 said:

My wife and I stayed there before it was completed. We both liked it very much. Our only complaint was that there was not a lot of food choices and although Downttown Disney is next door, it is still a long walk to get there. However since then it looks like they have put in a sit down restaurant. The last weekend of SWW I had reservations for Port Orleans but it was cheaper for me to switch to the Saratoga. The pool was really nice (probably due to the fact that my wife and I were the only ones in it that evening) and I am looking forward to going back there.

I'll be there for the last SWW too.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

I would recommend you rent a car Maureen, especially considering how cheap rentals are these days.

#11 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:38 AM

I tend to agree with Matt about the car. If you can, it might be helpful. I just got back last night and we saw SSR yesterday. It's almost completed and it is huge!

We usually rent a car each trip. This weekend we used it rarely but it was worht the $90 just to have it. Usually when staying at the resorts, we take the car to AK and MGM to avoid the buses.

The boats do go to DTD but POR has it's own boat route (atleast it did this weekend) so you would have to take the boat to DTD and then take another boat to POR from there.

Did you try asking about the Wilderness Lodge Villas, not just Wilderness Lodge for the AP rate? They are 2 seperate resorts in the computers so some CM's don't automatically look for both.

I've also seen the cash rates for SSR cheaper than the mods. DVC has alot of real estate to sell, what better way to do it than get the guests in there to try it first :wink: Plus, it is huge and empty rooms do not make any money.

I don't want it to seem like I am bashing SSR. It really looks like a nice resort! The restaurant is supposedly very very good and I know if I ever stayed there, I'd be heading to the spa while DH took the kids to the pool :mrgreen:

#12 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:27 PM

I'd like to stay at SSR, especially if these sort of rates prevail (perhaps for my trip in September)

#13 User is offline   ahsokajedi 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Star Wars, Fitness,Eating Healthy

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

Disney offered us an upgrade free of charge to go from POP to SSR. It will be our first time there too. We got a villa. The CM said it was very nice. I'm so use to POP I hope I like being that far away. I will drive to MGM but usually take my vehicle back later in the day and hop a bus to avoid trying to find parking late at night after we leave the parks. I'll let you know if I like it.

#14 User is offline   suziebabe 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:41 AM

We are DVC members at OKW...but this next visit (in 14 days time) we are staying at Saratoga.

We had a look at their show rooms a couple of years ago. The size of the rooms are smaller than OKW - but we av been spoilt cos the rooms there are very generous.

Lookin forward to experiencing a new home away from home though... :D

Hope the whirl pool tub is as good as OKW. :D

suziebabe... :thumright:

#15 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:36 PM

I stayed there. We had a car and it was worth it. It is nice but there is a decent chance you will not be within walking distance of the main house. MouseExtraDave is a dvc member at that place and has posted pics and a review of it on his site.
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#16 User is offline   nbodyhome 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Travel

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?option...4&Itemid=50

Those are my walking around photos of SS and Downtown Disney. I love SS, they have a great fitness center/spa. And you can walk to Downtown Disney or Old Key West.

#17 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:51 AM

Love the photos Denise, thanks for posting them!

#18 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

I like SSR and its one of the BEST discounted rates for CMs right now so that's where everyone I know who is coming to visit is staying!
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#19 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:49 PM

We just did an episode on SSR: http://www.wdwtoday....070709085531140

#20 User is offline   QuickGold