• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disney Dining Experience

#61 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:16 PM

ADP said:

paeric said:

the 18% is for DDE only by the way, and you can write and call for refunds, although DDE is saying "no refunds". Unfortunately, this amounts to a service charge for anyone using DDE, which isn't considered a 'benefit/plan change'.

Agree...Just the way it is worded was unclear. This was rumored to happen back in August when some of the DDP changes were officially announced for 2008.

I also agree that this is more like a service charge and not a gratuity. I guess there really isn't much of a change. You had to tip anyway.

Well, apparently the 18% gratuity is across the board for all table service restaurants, not just for DDE cardholders.

From allears:
The Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. (11/8/07 Disney Dining Experience Newsletter)

This is reportedly for ALL table service locations regardless of whether you are using a Disney Dining Experience card or not.

#62 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

I thought the change was DDE only. Since it comes from the DDE newsletter, one would think it only applies to DDE customers, right?

#63 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Golf, Disney (duh)

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

I'm not sure. I'd think it would only be for DDE. Making it for everybody would be a HUGE change, and certain to raise a HUGE ruckus.

But usually they are very specific about qualifications in statements like this, and in this case they didn't say specifically DDE.

My guess is it is just a poorly worded statement and they mean DDE only. After all, it doesn't even specify table service. As it reads, it applies to ALL food and beverage locations.

#64 User is offline   paeric 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

Here's email for complaints and refund requests for dining plan. While 18% gratuity is good for good service, if you've ever dined with someone who's a castmember, and already on this 'plan', the service gets lackluster. There's no incentive. I'd rather pay full price, and pick my own gratuity thanks! I sent for my refund, and will cancel my credit card charges by mid week if no reply. Fortunately I just signed on a month ago.

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

#65 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:52 PM

Matt Hart said:

My guess is it is just a poorly worded statement and they mean DDE only.
Agreed.

paeric said:

Here's email for complaints and refund requests for dining plan. While 18% gratuity is good for good service, if you've ever dined with someone who's a castmember, and already on this 'plan', the service gets lackluster. There's no incentive. I'd rather pay full price, and pick my own gratuity thanks! I sent for my refund, and will cancel my credit card charges by mid week if no reply. Fortunately I just signed on a month ago.

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com
I won't go as far as to cancel it. You still get free valet and the 18% is only on sit down restaurants, so it's still a full 20% off alcohol.

#66 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Golf, Disney (duh)

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

I'm assuming its DDE only until I hear otherwise.

I honestly can't think of any instances when I felt compelled to tip less than 18% at WDW. I'm sure it happens, but I've just been lucky I guess.

So it won't have any real impact on me. I could be a stickler I guess and just say "fine, if you add the 18% that's all I'll tip", but I don't think I could do that. It's not the servers fault the policy changed.

I understand the fear that some waiters and waitresses won't try as hard now, but I doubt that will be a huge issue.

Besides, you don't really have to present your DDE card until you near the end of the meal anyway. I know they say to present it up front, but I haven't always done that and it's never been a problem.

So if I were really concerned that I would get subpar service because of the DDE card, I would just keep it in my pocket until it gets close to check time.

#67 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

I'm in agreement with you Matt. I always hold my DDE card until the end of the meal and generally tip 18-20% (there have been maybe one or two times I tipped low because service was bad). I think the bottom line is people feel like they've lost some of the control. Never mind they will tip 18% 98% of the time, people want to feel like they're dictating the reward...or at least that's my perception.

#68 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:53 AM

The 18% is only on table service. And it goes into play January 1st, 2008. DDE sent out a "clarification" email.
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#69 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

PixieDust said:

The 18% is only on table service. And it goes into play January 1st, 2008. DDE sent out a "clarification" email.
That makes more sense. Can't imagine Disney would have instituted the rule for all table service meals.

#70 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

It's finanlly been cleared up. It's amazing how wording can cause so much confusion. I'm sure the folks at Disney Dining were getting several messages asking for clarification and going crazy trying to figure it out.

With all of the changes to the DDP and DDE for 2008 I'll probably have to go back through and see what prgram works best for us. I'm almost certain the DDE will still be a better option. Since the DDP dropped the prepaid gratuity and appetizer the DDE maybe even further ahead than before.

Matt, just curious...Will there be a podcast coming up discussing the dining program changes for 2008? You may have already covered it in the past, but I wasn't sure.

#71 User is offline   TiggerRay 

• Studios God

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:01 PM

QuickGold said:

It bothers me because what if I get bad service at a restaurant? That person doesn't deserve 18%. I will say that's hardly ever the case but it's annoying.

At least valet is still free ;)

Exactly...if I get bad service, you can guarantee that I'm making a stink with the manager. Normally, I'd leave a small tip...now I'm complaining.
Disneyland - a people trap run by a mouse.

#72 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:07 PM

ADP said:

Matt, just curious...Will there be a podcast coming up discussing the dining program changes for 2008? You may have already covered it in the past, but I wasn't sure.
Are you talking about a show just about the 18% change with DDE? Or something else as well?

TiggerRay said:

Exactly...if I get bad service, you can guarantee that I'm making a stink with the manager. Normally, I'd leave a small tip...now I'm complaining.
That's exactly what you should do and I'll likely do the same in the small chance that I do receive bad service.

#73 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

Are you talking about a show just about the 18% change with DDE? Or something else as well?.

The 18% gratuity for DDE and the changes to the Dining Plan for 2008. Is the dining plan worth it? And maybe a comparison between DDE and DDP and which one is a better value. Just a suggestion.

This change to the DDE really seemed to create a lot of buzz on many fan sites. Disney's confusing announcement had a lot to do with it, but a lot of folks seem to get the two programs confused. :roll:

#74 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Aaron :)

#75 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

I think it's hard to say what's a better value because it's so dependent on how you use it.

DDE's discount is more versatile than the DDP, but it seems like most of its value comes from using it for alcohol, large parties, and valet parking. If you don't drink, self-park, and only go with 1-2 people, then the savings are minimized. Additionally, it's not good for most counter service places, so you could potentially end up paying more in total if you choose to eat at more table service places to maximize your usage. Also, if your baseline tip is 15%, then the service charge of 18% effectively decreases your discount by 3%.

DDP's value has decreased considerably with the subtraction of the tip and the appetizers. The appetizers come back with the deluxe dining plan, but that costs twice as much and you still have to pay the tip. What my impression is, however, is that the out-of-pocket prices for food continues to rise at an alarming rate at all the restaurants. My theory is that with increasing DDP usage, there's no real incentive to keep prices low, given that DDP people will actually be happier the more expensive food is, because it increases the DDP's perceived value. Consequently, even though the value-for-money decreases for the DDP, the monetary savings might actually balance out if the regular food prices rise by the same degree.

#76 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

A lot of the difference in Dinning Plans depends on your eating habbits and how long you will be visiting the parks. For my family the DDE has been sensational because of our eating habits and that we made numerous trips to WDW this year. We like to schedule sit down meals in the evenings and the occassional breakfast. Some are Character meals and we do order the occassional drink, but usually we pick our way through the parks during the day. The DDP isn't the best value for us because of this. Our DDE card paid for itself less than 2/3 through our first getaway this year and has since been money in our pockets. Even with the 18% gratuity (which I don't like having dictated to me) I plan to renew it next year.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#77 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

According to Len Testa, you can ask your server to compute the gratuity yourself. So the bill comes with 18% automatically, but you can have it taken off and then entered manually....but you have to ask.

#78 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

I've only ever had one Disney server (March 2007 Chef Mickey's) where I would have given a lower tip. So I wouldn't do it often, but that is valuable to know.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#79 User is offline   Master Gracey 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

From what I have heard, if you do receive bad service, ask to speak to the manager. Then take it from there.

#80 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

I agree with that 100%. I really hold something like that for a last resort. I'm possibly too patient, especially considering the cost of the experience.

POFQ May 16-19

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users