• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Dark Lord of the Sith Weekend 1 Report

#1 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:09 PM

I'm going to add to this as I can..... (once again the job is getting in the way of the more important things in life!)

Weekend #1 Part I The Deception.

Thursday 5/18. Lies and deceit are the ways of the Sith, so of course I'd been telling my daugther (7 yrs) that we were going to an Ice Hockey Tournament this weekend. There she would be able to watch her father have fun... which was true... from a certain point of view. :wink:

This is the second year that we practiced some form of deception for this very trip. We were going to visit relatives last year. Anyway, As we arrived at the airport parking garage, she started jumping up and down and shouting in excitement. That alone is always worth the effort, and usually sets a good tone for the trip. Virginia Time 4pm.

....of course the plane was 30 minutes late arriving... not a big deal, unless you are ME and you want to get as far from home as possible with your family. Then it was off the Orlando, and the Great ALAMO, find your car in its correct size game. Great price, and you get to hunt around a dark parking garage too. You have to love the game. After this it was straight to the Carribean Beach Resort where by 10:30 pm I was enjoying some snacks from the Resort Food Court and setting my alarm. :sleep:

Part II, Attack on MGM Studios

Friday morning 5/19, the masses were lined up at the gates bright and early. As a big Star Wars fan, there is a problem. The guest list is cool, so autographs are going to be very popular. Yes, I like the LE items, so I have to get some of that ....especially the BIG FIGG. And finally I must have my girl signed up for the trivia and see about getting her in the parade as per previous chat conversations. The plan, divide and conquer. My wife, Mrs. Dark Lord would go find FIGG and as we would later find out, NUMEROUS other LE items. Numerous. I would take my young apprentice (who was dressed as Padme from Attack of the Clones, EP II) and sign her up for the Padawan Mind Challenge as well as try and get her in the Parade.

We enjoyed the 501st Storm Troopers on the gate roof from 8:30am until they opened the gates at 8:45 am and let us through to the first holding point. This for many was a mad dash. It was crazy. My daughter and I took one quick look at the Autograph lines, NO HOPE there, deciding quickly that tommorrow was another day and moved on to the sign up table for the events. We were in a long line for this by the time we arrived. (7 yr old was holding me up!) As we neared the head of the line and got within about 6 people I mentioned the Parade. I did this after seeing that there were numerous slots left. The clip board for this was being kept on the table there. I got my girl into the 6pm Padawan Mind Challenge and also signed into the Parade. We had enough time to go ride Star Tours now, check on my wife who was in a VERY LONG LINE and would not be seen again for some time and get some pictures with Characters before racing to the Parade meet point.

The Parade was very cool although my daughter was more than a little nervous. They put robes on each of the children and give them each a light saber, which they are able to keep after the Parade. Parents are told not to take any pictures or video while behind the scenes at the park lining up for the parade. Back there was the 501st legion and a Jedi group along with the regular Parade participants from Disney. It was very cool to see, but there wasn't much else to report on. The Parade went very well, although I'm sorry to report that at 11:15 when it went off, my wife was still in a VERY LONG LINE and missed the parade. Since parents were to follow their children in the Parade, I do have a lot of video of the back of my girls head and her periodic checks to make sure I hadn't left for the other side of the park. She enjoyed waving to the people along the sides and dressed in her Padme costume with light saber, she felt every bit the star. Overall the Parade was a lot of fun for both of us. Anyone going in future weeks needs to try and get their kids into at least one Parade. :thumleft:

After the Parade we settled into more Character photos and checking via cell phone on my wife and where she was. Fortunately by now she was getting close. She asked me what I thought she should buy and I told her that she was the one in the line suffering, I wouldn't stop her, get what she wanted..... and she did.... and then some. :mrgreen: :twisted: :thumleft:

I won't get into specifics now, but lets just say the bill was larger than anticipated. :wacko: When my wife got to the head of the line, she called me and told me she would not be able to handle everything by herself. I found a CM who led me throught the long, LONG line of people, past the full size X-Wing fighter, past even more people and merchandise and led me to the front of the line, where I got more foul looks than a Rebel on the Death Star Detention Block. (sad humor, but it is late) :spear:

There I proccurred my Bigg Figg, which comes in a HUGE box and several other items. At the end of the first Day the Big Figgs had been selling wildly and there were three items that had been sold out from the LE sheet that was handed out. SW Weekends Framed set, and both opening weekends Pins. I'm not sure what else sold out over the course of the weekend, but those items were gone. (By the way, I have the price list)

---It is getting late, so I will continue the story later......... :sleep:
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#2 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:18 AM

Great report so far! (Although you're making me look bad since I haven't started my own TR yet LOL)

If you'd like some pics of your DD in the parade, I may have a friend on my other board with pictures. She was taking pics of Friday's parade b/c she thought my son might be in that one. Let me know and I'll see if she has any of your DD.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

Great report Colin :thumleft: I'm glad your daughter was fooled again and I'm even happier that our chat we had a few weeks ago that got us that tip about the parade worked out. Further proof to everyone to come to our planning chats. :mrgreen:

#4 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:26 PM

Figaro said:

Great report so far! (Although you're making me look bad since I haven't started my own TR yet LOL)

If you'd like some pics of your DD in the parade, I may have a friend on my other board with pictures. She was taking pics of Friday's parade b/c she thought my son might be in that one. Let me know and I'll see if she has any of your DD.

Pics are always welcome. My little one was towards the back of the childrens group, so she may be hard to find. If you come accross one give me a shout out! And THANKS!!!! :fett:
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#5 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:10 PM

Part III - Smuggler making the Kessel Run

After making everyone on Sound Stage 1 angry by jumping to the front of the line, I had one problem. The items purchased needed to get to my car. I had the largest items shipped to my resort, but still had things in hand. So it was a mad dash to the parking lot with merchandise in had and the run back into the park. By the time I had completed my journey, my daughter and wife had managed a few more character greets. We opted then for a break (short) on Star Wars and jumped to my daughters other favorite ride at MGM, the Great Movie Ride.

Now with the great movie ride I should stress that we have ridden this COUNTLESS times since she was 4. Multiple rides over and over in one visit. She can't get enough of this ride. In all of the times we have been on there, we had never seen the alternate shoot out with the person exchange. We always picked up the gangster during the car shoot out. We had read about the Wild West Bank hold up and burning, but were really begining to think it was a myth. (you really have no idea how much we have been on this ride, so it seemed impossible for us not to have seen the Bank hold up.) So this trip the first thing that happens is we go right through the Alley shootout and into the Bank Hold up, where the bank is set on fire. This was a very welcome sight :shock: , and if you haven't seen the alternate, it is worth while. :mrgreen: Of course we would ride this later in the weekend only to be stuck again with the car shoot out. (at least I've seen the other option now. :mrgreen: )

:jedi: Back to SWW.... we completed a few more character greets. MAUL, Sand people, Sand Troopers, Bounty Hunters, face painting... we did a little bit of everything. We ended up later in the afternoon at the Star Wars celeb talk, where Rick McCallum and Peter Mayhew were interviewed by Warrick Davis. This was fun, and the storm troopers were great, doing a bit that was similar to the morning gate sequence. This was really funny and is worth seeing alone. :lol: The rest of the show was OK. There were some fun moments, but I was dissapointed by the question/answer segment. It was just too short. Still I would do it again. After that it was another run on Star Tours....

Then came the Padwan Mind Challenge at 6pm. This was fun for me to watch. My girl did great. She answered everything correct and ended up in the final 4 contestants. She was the youngest left and the only girl in the group. They only asked another 2 Questions and named them all winners (which is the right thing to do) and honestly my daughter answered the final question, a gimme question, incorrectly at first. But since it was a gag question they just let it go. Still my Padawan did very well, and I was proud of her.

By the time we completed this, the family was exhausted, so we went back to the resort for dinner, a toast to Matt (as promised :thumright: ) and some rest. We skipped out on the hoopla hoping to catch it later. Saturday was another day.

Part IV The Sith Lord comes Back -Sat 5/20

Saturday was to be autograph day. We needed three. We managed two fast passes and came 10 people shy of getting the third one (McCallum). RATS! Now I was sure to have to come back Sunday Morning. This day we met Peter Mayhew, who is an old hand at this sort of thing. We had him sign the Logo Poster we purchased and I talked briefly with him about CGI characters and how they couldn't do that with a Wookie, thus the need to bring him back. -He was very nice and worth the visit.

Next, was WWTBAM Star Wars Edition. The place was packed. This was done nicely with an Ewok in the audience and R2D2 as the first guest. It was a funny bit that ended with Jawas coming for the little droid :r2d2: and then the game was on. The game is based on some knowledge but also the luck of how fast you can push the correct button. This was mildly aggrivating since you could hear everyone standing on the buttons at the earliest opportunity. You have to love the computer system that can score that correctly. Anyway (I'm not bitter :evil: ), I did not make the hot seat, but did make the top three at the end of the two rounds. To make matters worse - if I may go on-- I knew all of the answers. When the game was over I knew I would have to come back Sunday for another shot.

After this we went on to the MGMStudios.org meet. THANK GOD FOR FIGARO AND HER FAMILY, because the rest of the group bailed on us. Without QuickGold, we just didn't have that star power draw I gues. :wink: 8)

Anyway, I enjoyed our brief visit, got some pics and vowed that we would find a better way to do this next year. Figaro's son made a great Anakin :jedi: and it looked like they were having a good time. Hopefully we can all do Weekend 1 again next year.

...........Anyway I will conclude this LONG report tommorrow night.... I hope.. :sleep:

POFQ May 16-19

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

The Dark Lord of the Sith said:

Without QuickGold, we just didn't have that star power draw I gues. :wink: 8)
:thumright: I'm sure that's what it was. For 2007 we're going to have to hold it somewhere air conditioned. I'm thinking inside Backlot Express or ABC Commissary.

#7 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:43 PM

Funny, Figaro and I had a conversation about that very idea. A/C, cool beverage.... it sounds like a plan.

--I'll wrap this report up tomorrow.... not that anyone is following this long drawn out thing at this point. It's the princible of the matter that forces me to see this through! :jedi:

POFQ May 16-19

#8 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

Following the hugely successful meet of Figaro's Family and The Dark Lord of the Siths Family it was off to meet Warwick Davis. These Fast passes belonged to Ms. Dark Lord and child. I don't want to sound jealous, but I wish I had made that fast pass line too. He was very good with my daughter and wife, taking time to talk and was seemingly very pleasant. We got a number of photos. His Autograph sessions are hard to do because there is only one per day for him. Where we were only down for the one weekend, that makes it a tough ticket. Warwick Davis is currently working on the next installment of Harry Potter, which is shooting in England. Obviously his services aren't required at this time.

As soon as we completed our visit with Mr. Davis, I took a longly look over at the Rick McCallum line. That would have to be my quest for Sunday. A day that I had not anticipated spending at MGM, but hey, a quest is a quest.

We jumped into the Darth Vader line. This line is ALWAYS busy. The waits in these lines really allow you to talk with a great number of people. Overall the Star Wars/Disney fans that come out are really great people which helps the long waits. Everyone is willing to carry on a convesation, be it about the movies, the waits in line, what they've done... but everyone is having a good time for the most part. I personally did not come across anyone who was sorry they came... unless of course they had no idea this event was happening, which I did see twice. One guy was estatic, the other was quickly making plans to hop to another park. ;)

Right before we got to Vader, two members of the 501st (Storm Troopers, who are fans but are allowed/encouraged by Disney to join the event) came in. They posed for pictures with the boy in front of us and then stuck around to get a picture with Vader, my wife, daughter and myself. Actually we got two. One with a normal pose, then another with guns drawn and Vader clenching a fist. My wife loves Clones and Storm Troopers so this was Great. The crowd even seemed to enjoy our carrying on. Then as we departed the Troopers departed as well... much to the dissapointment of the crowd. They come in from time to time, but you are fortunate if you get them in time for your pictures. So this was great! :twisted: :mrgreen: :salut:

Then after another run in with another Bounty Hunter, (god save me I embarrassed to say I've forgotten her name for the moment...Arura Sing? it will come to me) who looked great, we went to visit Jedi Mickey. His line was in general steady and longer than last year. Last year it was almost like people did not know where to find him. This year Mickey has been pretty busy all weekend. Anway these pictures are always among our personal favorite.... just behind the Vader ones. :twisted:

Then it was off to Star Tours again, because for whatever reason my daughter had decided she did not need to do the Jedi Training Academy this year. This was a dissapointment for me since I believe I am living vicariously through her during these moments.... and I want my shot! :wink:

My wife went off to meet Luke and some other characters while we were riding. The we grabbed some more character meets for my daughter before again running out of gas and needing to call it a day. By 6pm we were shot, and again left before the Hoopla session. Grrrrrr! It was aparent that the Hoopla wasn't going to happen for me this year. I enjoyed it last year more than I thought I would, so I was really sorry I did not get to see what they did this year.

Our evening ended with a very nice meal from Shutters at the Carribean Beach Resort and some time resting very tired feet. We also had to make shipping arrangements for the items we purchased that had arrived back at our Resort. Some of this stuff was simply not going on the plane with us! Big Fig(s) was TOO BIG!

Part V -The Sith Lord Comes Back!

On Sunday, I went back alone in the morning. The plan for the day was really the Magic Kingdom, but for me there was some unfinnished business. I started to consider not following through, but you must understand that while remaining in the background, my wife is really into this too. So I had my marching orders. Obtain a fast pass for Rick McCallum and do the SW-WWTBAM again. .....

more to come soon. 8)

POFQ May 16-19

#9 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:23 PM

Sunday 5/21, once the gate was open it was another mad dash for everything and anything that was Star Wars. I jumped directly into the Rick McCallum line which was very long considering how quick I got into the park. I passed the time speaking with a number of people, one Family who came down in their new RV with their two boys who seemed to be having a great time. By the time I got my fast pass, it was for the 2:50 time slot. Uggghhh! Then it was off to the WWTBAM line, snapping some misc. pictures along the way. Again more people to talk to as we waited, but this group seemed much more determined than the groups from previous days. Many of these people were taking this VERY seriously.

The morning edition of this is done with Warwick Davis, and was very amusing. Again I was frustrated by whatever the system is that tabulates speed. As for questions and answers, these were not a problem, but getting to that hot seat is a question of getting your answer tapped in before anyone else.... which in this format is really the luck of the draw. So once again I came up empty. ;) I guess all is fair in love and Star Wars...... but the hot seat is a whole other issue.

After that I left MGM for a few hours to gather the rest of my Family. The newest plan was to get our visit with McCallum and then bolt for the Magic Kingdom for the rest of the evening. We came back to MGM around 2pm. Made a ride on Star Tours (shocking :shock: ) and then took a break at the Honey I Shrunk the Kids section for my daughter. Since Sunday was the HOTEST day of the weekend, reminding me very much of SWW 2005, my daughter opted to get soaked by the Giant Super Soaker. It was then off to visit R. McCallum. I must say he was great. I expeced him to just be gratuitus towards everyone, but he really did take care with everyone that came up. We got talking about the movies, what GL might include in future releases as far as cut scenes being worked back in and the new projects. He was sure that all of this would be revisited in the next few years, but right now Lucas was working on a very different project, and the Indiana Jones movie was on the horizon. Actually some of the Disney people kind of broke up our conversation after my wife warned them that the two of us would more than likely stand there and talk all day.... which I would have! :wink: :lol:

Mostly satisfied with my experience for the weekend, that is where Star Wars Weekends #1 ended for me. No Hoopla this year :cry: , no Jedi Training for my girl :( , no adult trivia :( , but I did work in a number of things that I missed last year in WWTBAM, the Parade for my girl, the Question Answer segment with the celebs and just a more relaxed approach to enjoy the weekend. :mrgreen:

Magic Kingdom was great, but then my family loves that park as well. My little girl took her first trip on Splash Mountain, which she LOVED! She also road Big Thunder Mountain for the first time..... :shock: :shock: and came away ...undecided. We worked that park from about 4:30pm until 11 something when my daughter started falling asleep on the Merry Go Round. It was a FANTASTIC vacation. I'm hoping that next year I am fortunate enough to be in position to go back again.

Sorry this was so long. Thats what you get when I type at night.
May the Force be with you.... always! :fett: :salut: :wookie: :r2d2: :twisted: ;)

POFQ May 16-19

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for posting all of this Colin. I enjoyed reading about the trip :salut:

#11 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:59 PM

QuickGold said:

Thanks for posting all of this Colin. I enjoyed reading about the trip :salut:

Thanks for bothering to keep up with all of this. I believe the term that best describes how this should have been done is SUMMARIZE! ;)

POFQ May 16-19

#12 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:01 AM

Great reports! Very detailed :wink: You're a great writer and made it fun to read. :mrgreen: Thanks for posting it/.

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

I'm looking forward to next year's so I can read about the love story between Colin & Kim's kiddies....perhaps a little Padme/Anakin story afoot (minus the being chained to pillars for execution by large alien animals part)? :thumleft:

#14 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

Figaro said:

Great reports! Very detailed :wink: You're a great writer and made it fun to read. :mrgreen: Thanks for posting it/.

-THANKS!!! The check is in the mail! :joker:

POFQ May 16-19

#15 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:14 PM

QuickGold said:

I'm looking forward to next year's so I can read about the love story between Colin & Kim's kiddies....perhaps a little Padme/Anakin story afoot (minus the being chained to pillars for execution by large alien animals part)? :P

That bears watching. If you are correct, they will be chained to seperate pillars! :evil: :fett: :thumleft:

Padme has a controlling Sith Lord for a Father.... :salut:

POFQ May 16-19

#16 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:59 AM

That bears watching. If you are correct, they will be chained to seperate pillars! :evil: :fett: :thumleft:

:P All the more reason now to go down there. No one took pictures of the lovebirds?

#17 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

QuickGold said:

:P All the more reason now to go down there. No one took pictures of the lovebirds?

:shock: Don't think that Sith Lord father thing passed my notice! Believe me, I started thinking about that as soon as he started talking all "cutesy" about her LOL

No pics over here, just the "group" one of Colin, myself and our kids. Now I wish I had :wink: Alas, those long-distance relationships rarely work out....especially with a Dark Lord Daddy!

#18 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

Figaro said:

QuickGold said:

That bears watching. If you are correct, they will be chained to seperate pillars! :evil: :fett: :shifty:

Padme has a controlling Sith Lord for a Father.... :jedi:
:lol: All the more reason now to go down there. No one took pictures of the lovebirds?

:shock: Don't think that Sith Lord father thing passed my notice! Believe me, I started thinking about that as soon as he started talking all "cutesy" about her LOL

No pics over here, just the "group" one of Colin, myself and our kids. Now I wish I had :wink: Alas, those long-distance relationships rarely work out....especially with a Dark Lord Daddy!

Dang Skippy! I'll have the boy frozen in Carbonite before I let things escalate much further! :fett:

I've thrown some Pics up that may or may not be interesting. Either way.... I've had a blast!!! :mrgreen: :thumright: :jedi: (-that little light saber dude makes me smile every time)

POFQ May 16-19

#19 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:53 AM

Great pics! Matt, there's your pic of Anakin and Padame :heart: I didn't realize how close DS was to her until I saw the pic. No wonder I got Dark Lord so upset! :thumright:

#20 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

Can you really blame Colin's daughter? I hear it's hard to resist a man in a uniform.... :thumright:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users