• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SWW - Weekend 1 Report

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:51 PM

Here's some notes and stuff from SWW Weekend 1 (Friday):

- They had the usual Storm Troopers walking around the roof of the entrance. New this year was they talked. After a few seconds of walking around, a recording would play and the storm troopers would act it out. Most of the dialogue was humorous and poked fun at the movies. As an example, one trooper would tell the other about an escaped Jedi who was wearing clothes that left their legs and arms uncovered (shirt & shorts) and then they'd flip out because of course everyone in line matches the description, but instead of killing us, they'd wait to be certain because cleaning us up isn't worth the hassle. These recordings only played before the park opened and I wish I had a recording. There was some technical difficulties due with some lines being repeated but the troopers improvised quite well.

- They had a life size Darth Tater in front of the entrance to the Studios for meet-n-greets. I didn't get a chance to meet him but I didn see him leave and it was a really awesome costume job. Why was he outside? George Lucas didn't want him inside the park; Nevermind that the company that makes the Darth Tater dolls, Hasbro, had their own Hasbro section in the park. Made little sense.

- Darth Vader had an all-day meet-n-greet on Mickey Ave where Sorcerer Mickey usually was. I guess the Dark Lord kicked Mickey out and used a Jedi mind trick on him because they put (Jedi) Mickey in Sounds Dangerous where the line was never more than a few people. On a related note, Sounds Dangerous was closed all weekend (and was also closed Thursday). The Soundstations place that you go to after the show did remain open.

- The park was packed with SWW people. The lines for merchandise took hours. It was so crowded you could NOT go into Tattoine Traders from the street.

- Evidently there was a real good look-alike of Anakin Skywalker. You'll have to ask some of the ladies who were at the Meet about that because they were swooning over him for a few minutes.

- Merchandise lines were ridiculously long and I feel bad for anyone who had to wait in them. Special weekend only stuff like pins and medallions were gone pretty quickly.

- The wait for Star Tours was never that bad. It got up to about 40 minutes once or twice but mostly hovered around 10-15 (up from it's usual of zero).

That's all I remember right now. Feel free to ask any questions and I hope the others who were there can chime in with any observations they made that I missed.

Pictures coming soon!

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:02 PM

Photos can be found here: http://www.mgmstudio...t.php?cat_id=18

#3 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

awesome Matt! Thanks! :-)
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#4 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:24 PM

QuickGold said:

Here's some notes and stuff from SWW Weekend 1 (Friday):

- They had the usual Storm Troopers walking around the roof of the entrance. New this year was they talked. After a few seconds of walking around, a recording would play and the storm troopers would act it out. Most of the dialogue was humorous and poked fun at the movies. As an example, one trooper would tell the other about an escaped Jedi who was wearing clothes that left their legs and arms uncovered (shirt & shorts) and then they'd flip out because of course everyone in line matches the description, but instead of killing us, they'd wait to be certain because cleaning us up isn't worth the hassle. These recordings only played before the park opened and I wish I had a recording. There was some technical difficulties due with some lines being repeated but the troopers improvised quite well.

Matt, this isn't new. I have video of most of the routine from last year. I thought it was quite funny.

Now for the imporant question. Where is your Play It! report?

Rob

#5 User is offline   Jedi Webmaster 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:36 AM

I live 30 mins from Disney, and plan on going to the to Star Wars Weekend This friday, how much time do you advise getting there before it opens if i already have my tickets. Also anyone else thinking about going, maybe you can get the park hopper for 6$ more and leave MGM at 10 (when it closes) then jump to Magic Kingdom till 12am and view their celebration events

Also you can see the Darth Tater costume at http://www.starwars.com/index2.html

#6 User is offline   greenwaterr 

• Studios Regular
  • Interests:power rangers

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:49 AM

:wookie: Welcome Jedi Webmaster :wookie:

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

rob_wilson said:

Matt, this isn't new. I have video of most of the routine from last year. I thought it was quite funny.

We talked about it at the meet and Jillian thought it was new to. I would love to get a copy of that video Rob (or at least the audio portion). If you can, I'll post it on the site.

rob_wilson said:

Now for the imporant question. Where is your Play It! report?

My regular TR is coming soon

Welcome to MGMStudios.Org Jedi Webmaster!
A copy of the photo of Darth Tater is on my SWW site but here it is:
Posted Image

I would advise you to be at the gate (meaning allready parked) 20-30 minutes before opening. This weekend is Memorial Day Weekend so it's going to be even more crowded than this past weekend. Let us know if you have any other questions!

#8 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:32 AM

The Troopers talked last year.

Merch lines were 4 hours at Tatooine and 1.5 at Golden Age on Friday, 2-3 hours at Tatooine and 1.5 hours at Golden Age on Saturday. The only way to get into Tatooine was to ride the ride and walk around or wait in the merch lines.

Mickey switched places because Mickey Ave was the Dark Side :(

#9 User is offline   kazaar13 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Woman, Computers, RPG's, Movies, Disney

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:35 AM

I only waited an hour to get items on sunday. Other waited like 5 on saturday for the same items. GAH! I did get a jedi and darth mickey. :)

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:16 PM

disneyprincess said:

Mickey switched places because Mickey Ave was the Dark Side :)

Oh, that's interesting that they made Mickey Ave "themed". I guess that explains all the storm trooper meet-n-greets they had down there.

#11 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:20 PM

Yup- Mickey Avenue was the Imperial Sector while the Star Tours area was the Rebel base.

#12 User is offline   mandabella 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Disney, musicals, and jewelry

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the heads up Matt. I'll pass this info onto DH so he knows what will be going on. I think we may be there this Sunday or a week from Friday.

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

mandabella said:

Thanks for the heads up Matt. I'll pass this info onto DH so he knows what will be going on. I think we may be there this Sunday or a week from Friday.
Let us know how it goes Amanda :)

#14 User is offline   kellyk 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:47 AM

- Evidently there was a real good look-alike of Anakin Skywalker. You'll have to ask some of the ladies who were at the Meet about that because they were swooning over him for a few minutes.

All I'm saying is that I thought he looked way better than Hayden. My friend, after seeing the photo I took with him, said that he looked liked the "photoshopped for your convenience" version of Hayden. In other words, yeah. He was hot. Get a photo with him if you can.

I went Friday and went back on Sunday. I think they only sell so much limited edition merch a day so they have some left for the rest of the weekends. On Friday, we were told they were sold out of Vader Mickeys, but on Sunday, they magically had some. They also told us when I got mine (at around four that afternoon) that they had five left on the floor. So, I'm curious to see what they say this weekend. Someone will have to post, I suppose, and tell.

It was beyond fun for me. This was my first time going. I loved the closing show. So much geeky fun. :lol:

#15 User is offline   kazaar13 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Woman, Computers, RPG's, Movies, Disney

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:39 AM

They have a limited amount of darth mickey's each weekend. They also only sell so many per day too. I had to go back sunday to get mine.

#16 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:46 AM

Welcome to MGMStudios.Org kellyk!

And they do limit the amount of merchandise they can sell per day so folks on each day have a shot at buying something.

#17 User is offline   greenwaterr 

• Studios Regular
  • Interests:power rangers

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

Welcome kellyk 8) :D

#18 User is offline   darthleia 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:24 PM

We went down last weekend and we had a ball. I will eventually post pics - my hubby has to put them up for me. We went on last friday and I heard someone say it was a 5 1/2 hr wait to get into Tatooine Traders. We went Sunday and only took us under an hours and we got our DV Mickey. He's awesome - I heard he was sold out and you can only order him online at disneygallery.com. Anakin was hot and he looked just like his character. Everyone was definitely in character even though it was really hot out. This was our first star wars weekends and I hooked. We might have to go again next year. We had a ball - it was sooo much fun. I wish I could do it again. There were definitely alot of characters hanging out - taking pics with people. Everytime we turned around we saw someone different. It was the best!!! :P

#19 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:37 PM

I agree with you darthleia in that I got a little hooked on SWW myself (maybe it was meeting some great folks from this site?). I know it was pretty hot but I think I'll be returning next year.

#20 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:34 PM

Bryant gave me a great copy of the video of the Storm Troopers at SWW at the entrance. It's really quite funny and you can view it online at http://sww.mgmstudio...x.php?q=node/44

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users