Studios Central: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - Play It! Top 6 Tips - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - Play It! Top 6 Tips

#1 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:08 PM

This post contains pointers that should optimize your chances of getting into the Hot Seat and doing well.

1. Attend as many shows as possible.

The more shows you play in, the better your chances of getting into the Hot Seat. If you get Fast Passes between each show, you should be able to get into as many shows as you wish. Of course, don't forget to allow time for bathroom breaks and meals.

2. Randomly punch in something for the Fastest Finger question.

This is one bit of advice that I don't follow myself, as it kills me to miss a Fastest Finger question. However, with as many as 640 people in the audience, the odds are that someone randomly punching a sequence fast is going to win. There are only 24 possible combinations of Fastest Finger answers. Since rarely if ever do they use ABCD as the correct sequence, that brings the total down to 23. Your best bet is to just punch something in as quickly as possible. However, there is at least one exception to this. If the Fastest Finger question is something that you can figure out before you see the choices, then you can already essentially get the answers in order in your mind before you have to start punching and that will greatly improve your time. For instace, one of the Fastest Finger questions that I saw on my most recent trip was the following:

Arrange these letters in order to spell the last name of the star of the Indiana Jones movies.

Now, knowing that Harrison Ford was the star of the movies, I knew the correct answer was going to be F-O-R-D. Once the choices were displayed, I was able to punch in the correct sequence in 1.9 seconds. Unfortunately, even then I was beat out as someone, most likely randomly, punched the correct sequence in in 0.9 seconds.

3. Attend the earliest and latest shows.

There is usually less of a crowd in the audience if you go to the earliest or latest shows of the day. This can greatly increase your odds of making the Hot Seat.

4. Watch the daytime version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and the repeats of the primetime version of the show on Game Show Network (GSN).

I have seen several questions at Play It! that were questions on the television shows. If you watch regularly and have a decent memory, this can really help.

5. Learn a technique for using the keypad.

The keypads can be tricky if you don't know how to use them to your best advantage. For a regular question (one of the 15, not the Fastest Finger questions), this technique usually works quite nicely:

The keypad will not record your response until after it lights up. It typically lights up when the host completes reading the C choice, but before the host reads the D choice. So, as the choices are displayed, slide your thumb from one button to another until you hear the answer you think is correct and then start clicking like crazy. For instance, if the question was "Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me?" you might play it as follows:

The A choice comes up as Pluto, you slide your thumb past A onto B.

The B choice comes up as Goofy, you slide your thumb past B onto C.

The C choice comes up as Mickey Mouse, you start clicking C repeatedly until you see the keypad light up and then see all of the lights except C go back out.

Similarly, if you know that A, B, and C are incorrect, then start clicking on D before the choice is even revealed. Be cautious here, though, more than once I've seen people click on D and then realize that A, B, or C were correct all along. Once you click on one, you can't change your mind. If you aren't completely convinced that A, B, and C are incorrect answers, then do not click on anything until you have seen all 4 choices. Then, as quickly as possible, choose what you think the correct answer may be. Don't wait too long, you get more bonus points the quicker you answer. Also, once the contestant gives his/her answer, or asks for a lifeline, you will not be able to enter an answer.

6. If you make it into the Hot Seat, take advantage of every second you have.

You don't have much time to answer the questions, but it should be enough if you use your lifelines properly. For each of the first 5 questions, you get 15 seconds. For the next 5, you get 30 seconds each. For the next 4, you get 45 seconds each. For the million point question, you get either 55 or 60 seconds. Using a lifeline buys you considerably more time. The Phone a Complete Stranger lifeline gives you 30 seconds for the phone call and another 20 seconds to answer. With the additional chit chat that will go on between the host and the stranger, you can figure on at least 10 seconds more on top of that.

Similarly, the other 2 lifelines give you 20 additional seconds. So, the best strategy is to think until time is nearly up, then ask for a lifeline, then take the additional time to think. Careful though, if you haven't asked for a lifeline, or given your answer and said "Final Answer" before the clock gets to zero, you are finished. They aren't very lenient about that, especially if you are higher up in the stack of questions.

If I think of any other good tips, I'll let you know. Good luck!

Rob

#2 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:39 PM

thanks for the help. Funny they use some of the same questions.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 13 June 2004 - 03:41 PM

Great tips Rob! :) I've compiled my own guide with tips and such at http://www.mgmstudio...ionairefaq.html

#4 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:53 PM

Some nice tips, Rob! Nice post 8)
-Josh

#5 User is offline   TinkerBell1981 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Tinker Bell, Florida Marlins, anything Disney

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the tips! :)

#6 User is offline   BDANtheman29 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Riding the RnR over and over again!

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:59 PM

When I went down, I was able to grab a Fastest Finger seat for the second time. Although, it's totally useless because anybody can get in the Hot Seat, but it's still cool.

#7 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:01 PM

Well these tips came in handy tonight. I was 3rd on the board! 23pts between me and number 1.

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:16 PM

trendymagic said:

Well these tips came in handy tonight. I was 3rd on the board! 23pts between me and number 1.

First you win the lottery here, now you think you can win the cruise? ;)

#9 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:18 PM

Remember, Because the mouse signs my check, I can't win the cruise. But like Jillian said, It would be nice to get there and say 'sorry I am a cast member'.

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:21 PM

In the interest of winning a cruise, I give you permission to pretend to be me :mrgreen:

#11 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:35 PM

trendymagic said:

It makes a teacher proud when his students apply what they have learned. ;)

On my next trip down there, we'll definitely have to arrange a meet at Play It! for any and all that are available.

Rob

#12 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:50 PM

Well teach I have passed on the tips to the family. We went to Millionaire Thurday night. Gave the quick rundown of what to do. To my shock the first fast finger question I was number 3, my sister got number 1! I was on the floor laughing. I still do not believe it.

#13 User is offline   BDANtheman29 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Riding the RnR over and over again!

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:56 PM

Wow! Did you get any pictures?

#14 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:43 AM

No pictures allowed while the show is going on. You can take them before and after.

#15 User is offline   Jacknife 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 24 July 2004 - 12:11 PM

trendymagic said:

No pictures allowed while the show is going on. You can take them before and after.

Well, I guess you could always pretend to be James Bond, and record the show covertly. :twisted:

#16 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 24 July 2004 - 01:03 PM

Jacknife said:

Well, I guess you could always pretend to be James Bond, and record the show covertly. :twisted:

Let's hope you also have a James Bond budget for those things

#17 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 24 July 2004 - 01:50 PM

trendymagic said:

Well teach I have passed on the tips to the family. We went to Millionaire Thurday night. Gave the quick rundown of what to do. To my shock the first fast finger question I was number 3, my sister got number 1! I was on the floor laughing. I still do not believe it.

How did she do in the Hot Seat? I'd love to hear more of the story.

As for the issue of videotaping, that is a big no-no. In fact, they don't even videotape the show themselves. I've talked to several of the Cast Members about this, and I think it really bothers them that they can't. They all realize that it would make guests happy if they could get a videotape of their performance. They also realize that it would be a great way of making money if they could sell the tapes to guests. However, they don't have the rights to video the shows and would get into trouble with Celador and Valleycrest if they did it. From what I've read, there is already some controversy over whether they have the legal right to use the music from the show for the attraction.

Rob

#18 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:05 PM

I'll pretend I didn't see the post about secretly taping the show :)

#19 User is offline   Jacknife 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 24 July 2004 - 03:36 PM

QuickGold said:

Let's hope you also have a James Bond budget for those things

I don't have his budget, so I don't have any of his cool toys either. :(

disneyprincess said:

I'll pretend I didn't see the post about secretly taping the show :)

I wasn't saying that I'd ever do anything like that... 'Sides, it's kinda hard to miss a Sony Cybershot digital camera taped to my shoulder. :)

#20 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 24 July 2004 - 03:38 PM

heh just kinda :) Besides they have so many cameras and CMs watching the audience it would be hard not to be caught.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users