• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matt's May Trip

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:52 PM

Wednesday
I left work a few minutes early and high tailed it to the airport. I was making great time when I hit two spots of totally random traffic. All of a sudden we would stop, progress 50 feet and then it all opened up. Very odd. I didn't mind so much because I was ahead of schedule and the Marlins were playing a day game that afternoon and during the commute, I managed to catch the inning where they came back and won the game, so my trip was off to a good start.

I got to the airport and decided to park in the farthest lot because I had time to burn. After getting out I noticed the parking shuttle waiting for me, so I grabbed my bags and was surprised at my luck. I had allready printed my boarding pass from work so I headed through security to the gate. Well, not exactly. First, Hartford is really a fake airport. It takes exactly 20 seconds to get from curb to gate. It's quite odd. Well after security I detoured to the bar. I know what Miri is thinking, and no, I was not feeling lonely. This was my first drug-free flight in a while so I decided to ease my nerves. I had exactly one beer (for now :lol: ) and got to the gate and waited to board the plane.

After I got onto the plane, I got into my empty row and got settled in. Of course, the last 2 people to board the plane were in my row and this one woman was quite....large. I'm not one to poke fun at large people but this woman certainly did not look comfortable in her seat. I didn't want to hurt her feelings so I sat around for a bit before changing my seat (the back half of the plane was empty). The flight was pretty smooth and I past the time watching TV and having a beverage.

After landing I got my rental car from Alamo and met my parents at Waffle House in Kissimmee for a late night dinner. Afterwards I drove to our resort, threw my bags down and called it a night. I opted not to go see Star Wars that night (even though I had tickets) because I felt I would be a zombie at the parks the next day.

Thursday

I woke up bright and early and got to MGM in time for opening. I parked the car, walked a few rows and then realized I had not paid any attention to where I parked. :P I kept going, figuring I'd play the "Let's hit my car's panic button until I find the car" game later. Leslie had told me she would be there for opening but no sign of her so I went in and of course they were holding everyone at the intersection of Hollywood & Sunset. As soon as the park opened I got a call from Leslie and she said to wait for her. So I had to let everyone else pass me as I waited for her to come meet up with me. She showed up and in retrospect, it wasn't a big deal waiting since the wait for the rides that day were nothing. We rode Tower, Coaster and a few other rides in between.

Now, I want to pause a moment to show how mean Leslie was to me. We were in one of the shops on Sunset and because Leslie is such a good mod (and friend), I decided to buy her a Tinkerbell thingee she liked. So I go to pay for it and what does Leslie do? She runs out of the store to go talk to some other guy. :shock: Is that not the meanest thing ever? I know, poor Matt gets shoved to the side even though he's soooo generous with his money. :content:

Leslie left after a quick lunch at Backlot Express (she had to go get ready for her shift) and I proceeded to spent the rest of the day playing Millionaire. I played 6 games that day and let me tell you, I sucked that day. Some days you have it and some days you dont and I was terrible. The first 2 games or so I was allright; I'd get on the leaderboard but never got above 2nd or 3rd place. The last few games it got so bad that I wasn't even making the leaderboard at all. I was really upset with how I played.

Between Millionaire games I saw the Stunt Show (reaction to that in a soon-to-be-created thread) and took pictures for the site. During the parade, I took advantage of Leslie working and since she was working, she had to be nice to me so I did all I could to annoy her (like ask her where Tower of Terror is or take her picture all the time. As I think about this, perhaps God punished me with those bad Millionaire games for toying with her).

I had plans to meet my family for dinner at Spoodles at Boardwalk so on my way out from a last ride on Coaster I saw a Fantasmic! CM and thought "Hmm...should I bother trying to say hi to Jillian?". The reason I thought about it was because in order to get a hold of Jillian usually requires you have to go through no less than 8 CM's before one knows who she is and has a radio. Well this one had both and she radio'ed Jillian and I had a quick meet with her (while her co-workers hit her with those light up light saber toys).

After a quick "Jillian fix", I went over to Spoodles for dinner, and afterwards the family and I walked around the lake at Boardwalk and watched the fireworks at Epcot. I was pretty tired so headed back to the resort and went to bed.

Friday
I made my SWW report here so go there for that report.

I looked at the schedule for Millionaire that day and due to the fact the first 2 shows were Star Wars edition, I could only attend one show that day. So I got to the show and of course had no chance at the fastest finger question. But the first 5 questions were coming easily to me and then the guy in the hot seat blew it on a 300 point question. Instantly, I knew I had a chance. I was nailing everything and as the scores came up, as soon as I saw still wasn't up there by the time the 5th and 4th place scores came up I knew I'd be in first. Sure enough my seat was at the top and they called me down. The host (dont remember name but he's an African-American guy) asked me who I was with and I told him no one so he decided to try to get me a date with some of the girls in the audience. It was all pretty funny. But the game went along and I was doing allright. I had to use a lifeline before the 32000 level because one of the questions I wasn't sure on and used my 50/50[For Rob, the question was who is the only president to be named chief justice of the supreme court after being president]. I kept going and then got this little number:
"What is it called when someone in Girls Scouts graduates from one level to another?". I had no clue so used my phone-a-friend. I got a female but she had no clue. I would have been in big trouble but someone yelled out the answer (thank you mystery person!) so I got past that. So then came my arch nemesis, the 250,000 level. This is where I got out the last time I got into the hot seat. This question was "What breakfast food is named after Roman mythology? Juice, Cereal, Sausage or Omelete. I was out of lifelines at this point and guessed Juice. Well the answer was Cereal (named after Cerces). So close, yet so far. I was just happy to have gotten back into the hot seat again.

I left MGM around 3pm and went to Epcot to meet my family. They were tired from earlier in the day so I was on my own for a few hours. I decided to go to Soarin (with a quick stopover in England for a quick beer). I got to Soarin and saw a nice 60 minute wait was in store for me. So I waited in it. The queue area is huge. Is Disney expecting some Mammoths to come walking through there? I like big and all but it's really quite large.

So after my lengthy wait I get to the boarding area when I ask one of the CM's if Jason is working. Sure enough he is and they radio him and tell him who I am and he decided I haven't waited long enough so has me go to a different line and wait some more (actually I just switched lines and the wait was quite quick, but I always enjoy making myself look like quite the martyr). Once I got in to the ride area I spotted Jason and we talked some before the ride. I got to ride and after the ride I talked to Jason some more before having to leave. After Soarin I went to Living Seas to go see Turtle Talk but didn't get a chance to see it because of a huge line and my parents called saying they were in Epcot.

I left Living Seas and told them I'd meet them in the France pavilion. While waiting I struck up a conversation with one of the CM's working there and quickly realized it's nearly impossible to know if CM's are flirting with you or just being really nice because they have to. At any rate, I whipped out my French education I was so proud of and said a few sentences before getting lazy and reverting back to English.

Once my parents got there we decided to have dinner although we had ressies at Germany. Well my family decided they didn't want to eat there (picky eaters) so we ate in France.

We opted to head back to the resorts as the heat that day was just terrible.

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:53 PM

Some pictures from the trip can be found here: http://pictures.hochmania.com/view_album.p...bumName=album12

#3 User is offline   TinkerBell1981 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tinker Bell, Florida Marlins, anything Disney

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:50 PM

You read my mind. LOL

I know what Miri is thinking, and no, I was not feeling lonely.

Sounds like fun. Leslie, get ready for me in June. No, I won't bother you unlike other people. LOL

#4 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:01 PM

TinkerBell1981 said:

Sounds like fun. Leslie, get ready for me in June. No, I won't bother you unlike other people. LOL

Whoo hoo! Yes, please don't ask me stupid questions like Matt did. He was very lucky I was onstage and in costume since I couldn't smack him.

I'd just like to clarify the whole running off thing: My ex Robert is now working Main Entrance, and I didn't get to say hi to him when I walked in b/c I was in a hurry to meet Matt and the poor boy was yelling my name across Hollywood Blvd. So since Once Upon A Time is like not that far from Main Entrance (for CMs anyways since we can go backstage) I ran back there b/c Matt refused to let me go back and say hi really quickly so I took it upon myself to do so.
*Leslie Ivette*

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

TinkerBell1981 said:

No, I won't bother you unlike other people. LOL

Me? A bother? I'm wonderful :lol:

#6 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

QuickGold said:

Friday
I made my SWW report here so go there for that report.

I looked at the schedule for Millionaire that day and due to the fact the first 2 shows were Star Wars edition, I could only attend one show that day. So I got to the show and of course had no chance at the fastest finger question. But the first 5 questions were coming easily to me and then the guy in the hot seat blew it on a 300 point question. Instantly, I knew I had a chance. I was nailing everything and as the scores came up, as soon as I saw still wasn't up there by the time the 5th and 4th place scores came up I knew I'd be in first. Sure enough my seat was at the top and they called me down. The host (dont remember name but he's an African-American guy) asked me who I was with and I told him no one so he decided to try to get me a date with some of the girls in the audience. It was all pretty funny. But the game went along and I was doing allright. I had to use a lifeline before the 32000 level because one of the questions I wasn't sure on and used my 50/50[For Rob, the question was who is the only president to be named chief justice of the supreme court after being president]. I kept going and then got this little number:
"What is it called when someone in Girls Scouts graduates from one level to another?". I had no clue so used my phone-a-friend. I got a female but she had no clue. I would have been in big trouble but someone yelled out the answer (thank you mystery person!) so I got past that. So then came my arch nemesis, the 250,000 level. This is where I got out the last time I got into the hot seat. This question was "What breakfast food is named after Roman mythology? Juice, Cereal, Sausage or Omelete. I was out of lifelines at this point and guessed Juice. Well the answer was Cereal (named after Cerces). So close, yet so far. I was just happy to have gotten back into the hot seat again.

We opted to head back to the resorts as the heat that day was just terrible.

The president question I believe was one taken directly from the primetime version (or was it the syndicated?) of the television show. The answer would be Taft.

I assume the girl scout answer was fly-up.

As for the last question, Juice was the best of the distractor answers as both Jupiter and Juno were Roman gods. However, Jupiter was the god of the sky and Juno was the goddess of marriage, so they don't quite fit the breakfast scenario.

Ceres was the goddess of the harvest, so that one fits.

Nevertheless, that was a great run Matt. Rarely do contestants even get up to the 32,000 point mark at Play It!. I hope my next trip to the Hot Seat is at least as successful as yours was.

Rob

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

rob_wilson said:

The president question I believe was one taken directly from the primetime version (or was it the syndicated?) of the television show. The answer would be Taft.

I assume the girl scout answer was fly-up.

As for the last question, Juice was the best of the distractor answers as both Jupiter and Juno were Roman gods. However, Jupiter was the god of the sky and Juno was the goddess of marriage, so they don't quite fit the breakfast scenario.

Ceres was the goddess of the harvest, so that one fits.

Nevertheless, that was a great run Matt. Rarely do contestants even get up to the 32,000 point mark at Play It!. I hope my next trip to the Hot Seat is at least as successful as yours was.

You were right on Taft; the girl scout answer was "bridging" and I thought Juice because it rhymed with Zeus. In retrospect that was a pretty dumb line of thinking but I honestly had no idea.

rob_wilson said:

I'm proud that I've gotten to 250,000 twice (esp since I've only been in hot seat twice) and of the 6 or 7 games I was in, no one got above 32,000 so you're absolutely right that it's quite difficult to go far in the game.

#8 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

Nice trip Matt...
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#9 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:24 AM

Apparently a "fly-up" is a specific bridging event where a Brownie becomes a Junior Girl Scout. Any other type of change of status from one level to the next is just referred to as bridging.

You learn something new every day.

Rob

#10 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:32 AM

Nice Trip report!
-Josh

#11 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:41 AM

Nice report. I had other comments but I can't think of them at the moment.

#12 User is offline   kazaar13 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Woman, Computers, RPG's, Movies, Disney

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:32 AM

Sounds like you had a god time. I wish I had tried out millionaire now. Sounds like fun. I will be back in Spetember(2005) YEAH! So I will have to try it then for the first time.

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

kazaar13 said:

Sounds like you had a god time. I wish I had tried out millionaire now. Sounds like fun. I will be back in Spetember(2005) YEAH! So I will have to try it then for the first time.
Careful, you might get hooked on it. That's what happened to me and now I play WWTBAM more than I ride anything else.

#14 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:49 PM

QuickGold said:

I got to Soarin and saw a nice 60 minute wait was in store for me. So I waited in it. The queue area is huge. Is Disney expecting some Mammoths to come walking through there? I like big and all but it's really quite large.

Ummm yes. The line has been seen completely filled and out into The Land building up the stairs and half way to the exit doors. 60 mins is nothing. :D EMH FP's are gone with in 20 mins for the three hour time frame they are allotted.

Glad you had fun!

#15 User is offline   bartman454 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:fun

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:27 AM

Well as to the size of the Soarin queue the reason it is so large is because Disney knows that usually people wont take up all of the space in front of them. We had this problem a lot over at Backlot Tour during the peak times as we basically had to force people to use all of the available space in front of them so that the line wouldn't start coming all the way out to the entrance. As to the queue waits last time I went on the wait time said 60 minutes and I only waited about 20-25 minutes.

Tom

#16 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:56 AM

bartman454 said:

Well as to the size of the Soarin queue the reason it is so large is because Disney knows that usually people wont take up all of the space in front of them. We had this problem a lot over at Backlot Tour during the peak times as we basically had to force people to use all of the available space in front of them so that the line wouldn't start coming all the way out to the entrance. As to the queue waits last time I went on the wait time said 60 minutes and I only waited about 20-25 minutes.

Tom
When I meant the queue area was large, what I really meant was it's large in terms of height as well. The ceiling is huge! And it sounds like you got lucky with your wait Tom, I waited 60 mins at least.

#17 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

Yes that too Matt, The Great Hall (where the five large pistures are located) is 5 stories tall. You stand at about the 2nd story in the que. Unlike DCA, Soarin' here is only about 10 ft into the ground.

#18 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:08 PM

I LOVE the Great Hall. *swoons* *sigh* Okay I'm done.
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users