• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ugh, so frustrating

#1 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

So here I am, sitting in front of my computer, immersing myself in all things Disney as if I was planning a trip, when in reality, traveling with the way my budget is has become such a hassle and prohibitively expensive at the same time.

For example, with the way the airlines are set up, it's put me so off to flying, yet I do not nor have the desire to possess a driver's license that would enable me to travel without the expense of a plane (I've done road trips to Disney before with my sister, and I've gotten used to it). In a sense, I'm a prisoner in my own city. The closest thing I have to Disney interaction is the World of Disney store in Manhattan, and I can only do that so many times without becoming a "pest". The Disney website itself? Fuggedaboudit! All it has is advertising propaganda. I don't need that. I want to see videos of character interactions!

So what is a Disney fan to do when he's stuck in New York and can't spend a dime on what he loves most?
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:17 PM

There is cheaper airfare out there. Fly on a Tues or Wednesday. Try an airline outside of the city like Newark or White Plains. Travel during non-busy times of the year (i.e. don't go on holidays).

#3 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:47 AM

"Well, there's one venue I recommend you turn to
Where your Magic withdrawal will finally be cured
Spend three days a week with Super Walt Disney World Nerds
You can depend on Matt, Mike, Mike and Len"

#4 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

QuickGold said:

There is cheaper airfare out there. Fly on a Tues or Wednesday. Try an airline outside of the city like Newark or White Plains. Travel during non-busy times of the year (i.e. don't go on holidays).

That's only half the solution, if it can be considered a solution (remember, I only fly when absolutely necessary). There's also the cost of park food, souvenirs, lodging... all that adds up, and it's on the wrong side of what I can afford to spend (Remember when Disney raised their prices in the middle of a recession and the outcry that led to?).
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#5 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

Will the recent "buy four get three free" offer appeal to you?

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#6 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

When you say "Buy Four, Get Three Free", do you mean buy four days on my pass? And how long will this deal last? Remember, I'm not traveling anytime within the immediate season.

#7 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

http://www.mousesave...m/packages.html

Free Nights Package Offer for January-June 2009

Disney is offering a fantastic "free nights" vacation package offer. This is probably the best offer I've seen since 2003. It is valid for stays January 4 through June 27, 2009 (with April 5-18 blacked out).

Here are the details:

Buy a 4-night/4 day vacation package, get a 7-night/7-day package. That's 3 FREE hotel nights and 3 extra days on your theme park admission tickets!
* Travel between January 4 and March 29 with this "free nights" package and you will also get a $200 Disney Gift Card, redeemable for dining, souvenirs and more at Walt Disney World! (Travel after March 29 does not include the Gift Card.)

So how much will this save you? Here are three examples (amounts approximate):

Family of 4 (2 Adults, 1 Junior age 10-17, 1 Child age 3-9), staying at a Value resort, Standard room, January 8-15 (7 nights): $276.75 savings on hotel room + $38.33 savings on tickets + $200 gift card = $515.08 total savings.

Family of 4 (2 Adults, 1 Junior age 10-17, 1 Child age 3-9), staying at a Moderate resort, Standard room, January 8-15 (7 nights): $502.88 savings on hotel room + $38.33 savings on tickets + $200 gift card = $741.21 total savings.

Family of 4 (2 Adults, 1 Junior age 10-17, 1 Child age 3-9), staying at Beach Club resort, Water View room, January 8-15 (7 nights): $1383.75 savings on hotel room + $38.33 savings on tickets + $200 gift card = $1622.08 total savings.

As you can see, the primary savings are on the hotel room portion, so the higher category hotels offer the most total savings. The hotel discount works out to 43% off the room rate when you book 4 nights and get 7 for the same price.

To calculate your approximate savings on a 7-night package:

* Multiply the room rate times 3 (savings of 3 nights' room rate).
* Add $9 per person (approx ticket savings for the 3 extra days).
* Add the $200 gift card if you will be traveling by 3/29.
* The total is your savings.

You must buy a package that includes at least 4 nights' accommodations at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel plus minimum 4-day Magic Your Way Base Tickets to qualify for the FREE nights and the extra days on your tickets.

You can stay longer than 7 nights (up to 10 nights) with this package, but there is a maximum of 3 free nights and 3 extra days per ticket, per stay. You can stay less than 7 nights, but you still must purchase 4 nights, so you'll end up with less than 3 free nights/extra days: stay 5 nights, get 1 free; stay 6 nights, get 2 free. Obviously a 7-night stay is the best deal!

#8 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:44 AM

This is all nice and good, but you miss the obvious point that I have tried to make that I have absolutely no money for traveling whatsoever. Everything I make at work goes straight to my cost of living expenses (rent, cable, internet, groceries, etc.). I can't even afford the latest DVD releases. What do I do about that?

#9 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:01 AM

Get a high-paying job?

LOL

#10 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. With some more time away, you just have to start socking away travel money. Patience, I sense another stimulous check in the works from our fine government. That and a good tax refund could spell your next trip to Disney.

If not... well as I said, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#11 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

I have sympathy for ya Peter. I know living in the New York area (I believe that is where you live) the cost of living can be out there. There isn't much you can do about that excpet move away from it (not really an option). It just stinks that living in a particular part of the U.S. can be so outrageously expensive.

Just curious, but have you ever looked into buying DVC? There are really good deals right now in the resale market. You can also buy direct from Disney and finance a small contract of 160 points. I know paying it off over X number of years would be tough (maybe $75 to $125 per month at a minimum), but you could use those points for stays this year and into the future. Once you paid it off your lodging would be set. In addition, if you take advantage of the many perks DVC provides you it would be a plus.

I noticed a big difference in our Disney vacation costs when we joined DVC. It's really nice not having to factor resort lodging costs; which is the bulk of any Disney vacation. Even if you stay off-site it isn't so bad. You can get some great off-site deals as well today. A lot of the hotels on hotel Blvd (near DTD) also offer great deals i.e. $59 per night.

Anyway, just throwing those suggestions out there. Hope they help. :D

#12 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

DVC is not really an option for me. My sister has a condo in FL so that would take care of the lodgings to a degree, but without a car (or better yet, without a driver's license which I don't want), relying on the LYNX buses is the pits (just ask Blixzit). Not to mention all the double-talk the DVC salespeople use to convince you to buy in. No one in my family could ever afford anything like DVC, not even myself.

I guess Colin is right. Absence does make the heart grow fonder, but the YouTube videos from Disney, OTOH, is pretty much torture. As I've said, World of Disney is all the Disney interaction I can get, but only in small doses over a period of time.

#13 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

BTW, I do want to apologize if I'm sounding negative and depressing. This is just how I feel since I haven't been to Disney since July. IF I can finagle my way into an early vacation for February, I can drive with my family during the NYC winter recess, depending on what the schedule is like.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users