Studios Central: Rob's Family Vacation to WDW - June 2004 - Day 3 - MGM - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rob's Family Vacation to WDW - June 2004 - Day 3 - MGM

#1 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:42 PM

Players: Rob (the guy footing the bill), Debbie (the wife), Donny (the son), Hayley (the daughter)

Lodging: Port Orleans: French Quarter an EPCOT Resort

Dates: 6/3-6/10 (This post relates to 6/5)

Transportation: Nissan Quest van

Got up early in the morning and got everything ready to go for the day. Remembered this time to load the camera with film

(Yes, the same camera that I thought I had taken pictures with in Ocala)
:roll:

and packed up all items we would be needing for the day.

After two days of mostly travel, we were finally heading to a park. We chose to go to MGM to take in some of the Star Wars weekend activities, plus we generally spend quite a bit of time there anyway. Our first stop was the Star Wars Weekends information booth where Donny and Hayley both signed up for the Padawan Mind Challenge (child's Star Wars trivia contest) and Debbie, Tim, and I signed up for the Tatooine Trivia Challenge (an adult version of same). Both events were to be held later in the day.

Next stop was Who Wants To Be A Millionaire-Play It! for the first Star Wars themed show. At the beginning of the show, they announced that they had a special visitor, a million point winner from last year's Star Wars weekends. He was seated in one of the front row Fastest Finger seats.

The show began with the usual Star Wars silliness. A jawa was introduced as a carryover contestant. He misses the 3rd or 4th question, and then is carried off stage by two stormtroopers. His "brother" in the audience tries to disguise himself as Princess Leia before being chased off by the host. Then, the host announces the Fastest Finger challenge which consisted of putting the words to "May the Force Be With You" in order. Not wanting to get into the Hot Seat for the Star Wars show, I purposefully punched in the answers slowly. Almost not slowly enough, though, as I ended up 6th on the Leaderboard!

When the show was over, we grabbed fast passes to the first non-Star Wars themed show and headed to the ABC Commissary for lunch. I got my usual Cheeseburger/Fries combo. As soon as lunch was over, we headed back to start taking in the regular WWTBAM-PI! shows. I think it was during the second regular show that my seat number was on top of the Leaderboard and I found myself sitting in the Hot Seat. I don't recall all of my questions, but here are a few that I pieced together (not necessarily all the right choices):

100 - According to the nursery rhyme, who could eat no fat?
A. Jack Sprat
B. Mother Hubbard
C. Georgie Porgie
D. Supermodels

200 (or so) - Which of these is worn as protection from rain?
A. Tank top
B. Tutu
C. Kilt
D. Poncho

1,000 - Which of these is the U.S. National Bird?
A. Ostritch
B. Cardinal
C. Robin
D. Bald Eagle

2,000 - Which of these is a type of camera lens?
A. Fish bowl
B. Fish tail
C. Fish net
D. Fish eye

8,000 - What is the oldest college?
A. Cornell
B. Brown
C. Harvard
D. Yale

16,000 - In the movie "Finding Nemo", what type of fish is Dory?

32,000 - Which of these structures was designed by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi?
A. Sears Tower
B. Empire State Building
C. Gateway Arch
D. Statue of Liberty

Though I was fairly certain of it, I used the Ask-the-Audience lifeline to get the last one. After I successfully answered it, the "end of show" horn sounded and I was asked to be a carryover. Of course I agreed to come back.

Upon returning, the audience was told that there was a carryover contestant and introduced me. It was a different host for this show. He then reminded me that I had used my Ask the Audience but that I still had the 50:50 and Phone a Complete Stranger lifelines. I had already won 10 pins and the baseball cap, lanyard, and polo shirt and was ready to continue the game. The show began with the following question:

64,000 - Which of these is NOT a Chinese Zodiac Element?
A. Wood
B. Wind
C. Fire
D. Metal

I am familiar with our Zodiac signs and elements, and the animals of the Chinese Zodiac, but not their elements. I used the Phone a Complete Stranger and the girl that answered said Wood. I asked how certain and she was not at all certain. So, I asked for the 50:50 which left me Wind and Metal. I chose Metal. Unfortunately, the correct answer is Wind. I now know that Wood, Fire, Metal, Water, and Earth are the 5 elements of the Chinese Zodiac. However, since I had already won the prizes through 32,000, I didn't lose anything other than the chance to continue. Despite attending several shows, no one else in our group ever made it to the Hot Seat, though everyone of us were on the Leaderboard at one time or another.

Eventually, we had to leave the show so that the kids could do their Star Wars trivia challenge. Hayley (7 years old) was the first one out which wasn't surprising since she isn't that interested in Star Wars. Donny (10 years old) on the other hand, was one of the last 4 kids standing. They never did narrow the field down beyond the 4, so not sure if he would have soundly defeated the other kids or not. It didn't matter anyway, since all of the kids, including the ones that were already eliminated, got the same type of prize. They were all given a Star Wars action figure.

Later, it was time for the big kids to square off. We didn't fare near as well as the kids did. All 3 of us were out on the second question. No prizes for us though. Oh well, it was still fun. We then went to the Sci-Fi Dine-In Restaurant for dinner. Afterwards, we headed over to Fantasmic!, but left when the rain got too bad which was well before show time. We went back to our rooms to dry off and get some rest for our next day at the parks.

(To be continued)

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:14 PM

Wow, what a day! I've always wanted to get into the hotseat and still have yet to do so. Great report thus far Rob!

#3 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:41 PM

I was never able to get in the hot seat or even on the leader board. :x

Bartholdi is one of those peole I wish they would spend at least a few moments on in schools. I did one of my college papers on him and his work on Lady Liberty.

Funny to hear about the start of the Star Wars show.

#4 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:57 PM

trendymagic said:

I was never able to get in the hot seat or even on the leader board. :x

Bartholdi is one of those peole I wish they would spend at least a few moments on in schools. I did one of my college papers on him and his work on Lady Liberty.

Funny to hear about the start of the Star Wars show.

You definitely need to hook up with us the next time we're down that way. We can offer a few pointers that might improve your scores.

Rob

#5 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:01 PM

rob_wilson said:

You definitely need to hook up with us the next time we're down that way. We can offer a few pointers that might improve your scores.

Rob

I would love to hear them. You can go in my place... I am ineligible because of who I work for. :x

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 12 June 2004 - 09:21 PM

Making it onto the leaderboard is fairly easy for me but hot seat seems to elude me. Please share your tips oh great Rob :thumleft:

#7 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 13 June 2004 - 07:52 AM

QuickGold said:

Making it onto the leaderboard is fairly easy for me but hot seat seems to elude me. Please share your tips oh great Rob :D

Well, since you asked nicely. :)

Actually, what I'll do is finish my Trip Reports, and then post the Play It! tips separately after I'm done. Is there a particular category you would prefer that I post them under?

Rob

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:26 AM

rob_wilson said:

Is there a particular category you would prefer that I post them under?

Attractions board seems appropriate :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users