Studios Central: Anticipating slowdown, Disney World to cut January room rate - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anticipating slowdown, Disney World to cut January room rate

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 17 December 2003 - 03:59 PM

By Jerry W. Jackson
Orlando Sentinel

December 11, 2003

Anticipating a seasonal slowdown that usually begins right after New Year's Day, Walt Disney World said Wednesday it will cut rates at its new Pop Century Resort and its All-Star Resorts to $55 a night and temporarily shutter its Wonders of Life pavilion at Epcot.

The announcements came a day after the company narrowly averted layoffs of more than 100 banquet servers and other resort employees after the workers agreed to potential cuts in hours in return for keeping their jobs.

A top Walt Disney Co. executive, speaking at an investors conference in New York, said the company's theme-park attendance was still running about 11 percent ahead of last year's first-quarter pace.

But Chief Financial Officer Tom Staggs said that year-over-year increase could shrink between now and the end of the fiscal quarter on Dec. 31, in part because of higher employee-benefit costs and money spent on marketing and sales initiatives to drive long-term growth.

Staggs said spending inside the parks is currently "in line" with a year ago, while room reservations for the current quarter are running 9 percent ahead of last year.

The $55 room rates at Disney World are good for travel from Jan. 1 through Feb. 11 but must be booked by Dec. 29. Pop Century, Disney's single-largest economy-class hotel, with 2,880 rooms in its first phase, opens Sunday with rooms that normally start at $77 during slow seasons such as the post-Christmas period. The All-Star Resorts have the same basic rate.

Disney representatives said the deeper discounts were also offered last year. "We did the exact same thing," said Disney spokesman Craig Dezern, and in prior years other package deals were made available in January. "It's just a slower time."

Other hotel operators conceded the cut will tend to hold down rates for Disney's competitors as well.

The $55 Disney deal represents a nearly 30 percent discount in the normal room rate for its moderately priced hotels, but Disney representatives would not characterize the offer as a sign the resort is having trouble filling rooms.

Spokeswoman Rena Langley said the closing of Epcot's Wonders of Life pavilion as of Jan. 5 is also related to the seasonal slowdown.

"It will be available during periods of peak attendance," Langley said, such as Spring Break.
Copyright © 2003, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

So Jillian, how cheap do these rooms become for you? :content: If my math is right, half off $55 is like $27.5/night

#2 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 18 December 2003 - 02:06 PM

Sounds correct Matt.

Also each Pop building is 4 stories tall. The section of Pop that just opened is the same as two AS resorts in room numbers I believe. The place was empty this week while I was there. everyone got a first floor room if they wanted. The only place I saw people on the second floor was near the pools. Never saw anyone on the top two floors.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 18 December 2003 - 03:10 PM

How does the value of Pop compare to All Stars?

#4 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 18 December 2003 - 03:20 PM

Pop is acutally a few dollars cheaper because it is located in a different county (after FL tax tag and title are added). It is the same as the AS overall though.

#5 User is offline   mitros 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 10 January 2004 - 08:22 PM

About the Wonders of Life pavilion, rumor has it that they are going to tear it down and leave the open space for "future development" as Disney would call it. This will probably happen once Soarin' is completed in 2005.

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:22 PM

I thought they were making it "seasonal"?

#7 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:26 PM

I thought they were making it seasonal as well. Perhaps mitros has some inside information on the topic.
-Josh

#8 User is offline   mitros 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:12 PM

Actually,this is a bit of information gleaned by Jim Hill. He first talked about "project Gemini", a 500 million dollar project that was to change the concept of Epcot and also changing its name to Discovery Land. Of course, because of the economic problems caused by 9/11, the project was put on hold. Now, with Soarin' starting to go up and the "seasonal" closing of Wonders of Life, Project Gemini may be getting a slow start after all.

#9 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:40 PM

It will be seasonal for now, may be gone after Soarin opens. It has gone way down hill in attendance in recent years.

The Project Gemini thing... SE could not be changed like Disney had wanted because of the way it was built. So for now just the two new additions to Future World, M:S, Soarin.

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:36 PM

I'm just mad that I might not be able to see Cranium Command unless I go in Christmas or July 4th. :?

#11 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:39 PM

I have always enjoyed the place, even if the stuff in there is 'old' by the future world standards.

#12 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:43 PM

I don't trust the info from Jim Hill, he is frequently incorrect on his information.

It is seasonal, and there are no current plans to permanently take it out as of yet.

#13 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:47 PM

I know it is part of hte Backstage Magic Tour (Body Wars) I wrote Guest Services and have not yet heard back if it is still on the tour or what they are doing when it is closed.

#14 User is offline   mitros 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:48 PM

I have found Jim Hill right more then he is wrong. A lot of the stuff he talks about sometimes takes a while to come to fruition, but it eventually does. There are a lot of folks who just plain do not like Jim Hill for whatever reason. I have heard others say that he is wrong, but hear others say he is right about what he says. Time will tell.....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users