Studios Central: Lights, Motors, Action! Not worth what it has taken away - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lights, Motors, Action! Not worth what it has taken away

#1 User is offline   missionspace01 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

In my opinion, LMA is not worth it for what it has taken away from the studios. Does anyone else remember all the amazing scenes in the backlot tour? What about Residential Street? Also, Disney DID NOT do a good job with the oh-so-fake "filming", every time i have gone, the cameratruck goes in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION of the playback! This show was good when I saw it for the first time, but it just isn't good anymore. It is the only thing in WDW that gives me that been there, done that feeling.

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

Honestly, I'd rather have LMA over Residential Street. The Golden Girls house and the house from Ernest Saves Chrismtmas aren't as entertaining as the stunt show in my opinion.

#3 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

missionspace01 said:

In my opinion, LMA is not worth it for what it has taken away from the studios. Does anyone else remember all the amazing scenes in the backlot tour? What about Residential Street? Also, Disney DID NOT do a good job with the oh-so-fake "filming", every time i have gone, the cameratruck goes in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION of the playback! This show was good when I saw it for the first time, but it just isn't good anymore. It is the only thing in WDW that gives me that been there, done that feeling.

Firstly, you can't blame LMA for EVERYTHING the Backlot tour has lost. It is just one of the many pieces that took away from that attraction. However, when it comes to residential street you kinda can, but to be honest, the only people i have ever heard mention Residential Street in the park were in there 60s-80s. The past two generations didn't grow up on Golden Girls and Ernest. Plus this show draws large amounts of crowds every show. I also think that walking through New York and San Fransisco streets are a lot cooler than riding through, but i question how long these will last with all the changes in the Studios lately. We can bring more people into one LMA show than Backlot can fit in, if i'm not mistaken, 5-10 trams (Does anyone know the capacity of these trams?) and i can for sure say we average 3000 people a show year round, and 3500 is a slow show around this time of year. As for the Cameratruck, that is kinda funny I never noticed it went the other way, i will have to keep an eye on that, but besides that, there are lots and lots of cameras hidden on the stage that capture a lot of the playback. And with a stunt show, it is not the quality of the fake filming that matters, but the actual stunts, just like Indy Stunt Show. And the been there done that thing is understandable, but i get that from most shows myself.

#4 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:16 AM

I've been to WDW numerous times since 1985 and am ambivilent about this topic. I do miss some of the pieces of the Backlot Tour from the "old days" but also enjoy LMA a lot. Because I've seen it maybe 20 or more times, my enjoyment at this point comes more from an appreciation of watching the "how it's done" and the skill of the stunt drivers in the cars. Once you've done any attraction a few times they tend to become "been there, done that". Sure, the filming is obviously "fake" but every attraction has illusion built in for the purpose of entertaining. While I liked the old version of Backlot and do miss parts, I think LMA is a great addition to the park.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#5 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

I am no fan of LMA and am no fan of the Backlot Tour either. I would like to see the whole Backlot Tour replaced with a new "land" myself.
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#6 User is offline   missionspace01 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:20 PM

I don't blame it for everything, but it did take out a large chunk.

#7 User is offline   TiggerRay 

• Studios God

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

QuickGold said:

Honestly, I'd rather have LMA over Residential Street. The Golden Girls house and the house from Ernest Saves Chrismtmas aren't as entertaining as the stunt show in my opinion.

Residential Street would have needed a vast rehab to make more relevant...but I certainly wouldn't call LMA entertaining in the least. I found it to be pretty uninspired.
Disneyland - a people trap run by a mouse.

#8 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

I don't like how LMA was taken straight from Paris, even keeping the French facades. It wouldn't have been too hard to have it take place in New York, would it?

Still, it's a pretty entertaining show, and definitely an improvement over Residential Street.

#9 User is offline   MickeyMaz 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

HDLady said:

I've been to WDW numerous times since 1985 and am ambivilent about this topic. I do miss some of the pieces of the Backlot Tour from the "old days" but also enjoy LMA a lot. Because I've seen it maybe 20 or more times, my enjoyment at this point comes more from an appreciation of watching the "how it's done" and the skill of the stunt drivers in the cars. Once you've done any attraction a few times they tend to become "been there, done that". Sure, the filming is obviously "fake" but every attraction has illusion built in for the purpose of entertaining. While I liked the old version of Backlot and do miss parts, I think LMA is a great addition to the park.

We saw this in 2006 and right after I saw it I was sure I would not need to again. However, I am thinking like HDlady above in seeing it again for the "how'd they do that" factor.

#10 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

TheInfrequentVisitor said:

I don't like how LMA was taken straight from Paris, even keeping the French facades. It wouldn't have been too hard to have it take place in New York, would it?

Still, it's a pretty entertaining show, and definitely an improvement over Residential Street.

Why does the location mean something to you?

Actually, to me it's a bit timely... with all of the Bourne movies taking place in Europe, with Bond back in action, the European feel is just right for a car chase/stunt show.

Anyone who has been to New York City at any point during any day knows that high-speed chases are NOT POSSIBLE there! LOL

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#11 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

I don't know, it just seems a bit cookie-cutter.

#12 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

TheInfrequentVisitor said:

I don't know, it just seems a bit cookie-cutter.

Disney re-uses a lot of attractions at all there theme parks. Both DCA and Disney Studios Paris are pretty much mini-copies of DHS. LMA and Star Tours are the only copied attractions we have, if i'm not mistaken (Wait i think TSMM opened in DCA first but not by long). It apparentally seemed like a good idea to Disney that if "Mouteurs Action!" did well in the foreign studios, it should do well in America.

And besides that our LMA has that brief, but interesting, water ski scene that is not featured in the french version.

#13 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

darthstich said:

Disney re-uses a lot of attractions at all (their) theme parks.

Agree.

Disneyland-WDW Space Mountain
Most of Fantasyland
Jungle Cruise
Pirates
Mr. Toad (Dangit)
Country Bears (Dangit for DL fans)
SLIGHT SLIGHT change for Buzz Lightyear... removeable guns.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#14 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

missionspace01 said:

LMA, to me, is just a lackluster extremely-bland stunt show that could be found at any Six Flags (well, maybe theirs would be more interesting because it would have a theme and story around Batman to go with it). Indiana Jones is WAY better!!! LMA just felt cheap, the aluminum seating and lack of franchise with uninspired sets and characters. The whole thing just felt unnecessary with Indiana Jones already there and being better.

I don't blame LMA for ruining Backlot Tour but it certainly took it from "ridable" to "waste of time." All I know is I saw LMA once and have no desire to see it again (I see Indy every time I go), but I used to ride Backlot Tour every time I went before LMA made it a complete waste of time. Basically that whole area of the park is a waste and could be replaced with something new.

#15 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

Skippy said:

LMA, to me, is just a lackluster extremely-bland stunt show that could be found at any Six Flags (well, maybe theirs would be more interesting because it would have a theme and story around Batman to go with it).

OW! That cut deep. Dang. Just says it's a crappy show, or stick a knife through me or something. SIX FLAGS!! Ouch!

#16 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

I have to disagree about LMA being akin to a Six Flags attraction. It may not be everyone's favorite, but it is well themed and the stunts performed in cars moving at a fast clip are not elementary in the least bit.

#17 User is offline   Ken In Atlanta 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

QuickGold said:

I have to disagree about LMA being akin to a Six Flags attraction. It may not be everyone's favorite, but it is well themed and the stunts performed in cars moving at a fast clip are not elementary in the least bit.

Your Six Flags must be better than Six Flags Over Georgia, as their shows SUCK (even though I have to see the Superhero one each time I go)

#18 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

Ken In Atlanta said:

QuickGold said:

Your Six Flags must be better than Six Flags Over Georgia, as their shows SUCK (even though I have to see the Superhero one each time I go)

I agree with the suckage of the Six Flags Batman stunt show. The whole thing operates on a soundtrack. Even the DIALOG is pre-recorded while the performers lip-sync rather badly to it. And I completely regret not meeting the DC Super Heroes when they were available for one season. :D

As I've said before: Once you've been spoiled by the magic of Disney, everything else just can't compare.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users