Studios Central: Happy 10 year anniversary Rock n Roller Coaster - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Happy 10 year anniversary Rock n Roller Coaster July 29, 1999

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

10 years ago today Rock 'n Roller Coaster opened! Let's share stories from our first rides on Coaster...

Rock 'n Roller Coaster was my first rolle coaster that went upside down and I went with friends who convinced me to go. I remember getting to the alley and seeing (and hearing) the launch and instantly second guessing my decision :lol: But in the end, it was worth it and has become a favorite attraction.

#2 User is offline   gsonoda 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:I am a fan of hilarity.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

For me, my first ride on R'n'R was a long time in the making. I was at the park in 1999 when it was being built. In fact it might have been in limited previews, but I was never chosen. I didn't return to the park until 2004, and was hesitant to say the least. I had only really done wooden rollercoasters to that point (aside from the ones at Disney), so the prospect of a loop was a bit jarring. However, my Dad, who gets motion sick by things like Soarin' wanted to try it, so I went with.

Like Matt, I was not pleased when I got to the coaster launch. But once I got on, I absolutely loved it. It was a must do every time I came to visit from Hawaii, and now I make any visitor I may have try it out at least once. It's great, especially experiencing it in the front seat.

And yes, I must stick my tongue out and make the Devil/Rock and Roll sign with my hands everytime I pass the camera. It is a requirement.
Glenn

The reigning Star Wars Trivia Champion - 2008 and 2009

"Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic."

#3 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

I remember not getting to ride it in 1999 because I puked all over the bed (and my sister) and was at the hospital.

That is why I will never eat at Akershus again.

#4 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

My first time in the que was 2004. I had no intentions of riding. I was staying with my son and nephew on the line. My first time actually riding was in 2007. I'm not a big thrill rider, but I went to keep my son company. I have since only been on a few times. I didn't really mind the upside down. It's so fast that it doesn't seem to matter. What I don't like is being closed in; so I don't like the bar coming down over me. To me the part that makes me panic most is the wait to get off. I'm just thinking, "get this bar off me".

Funny story though. We arrive at Fantasmic really, really early. My sister took her kids to Rock n Rollercoaster with her fastpasses. When she returned, she said "I didn't know that was a roller coaster". I guess she only noticed Rock n Roll. It was fun making fun of her for the rest of the night. Actually I still do.
Posted Image
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Interesting article on the 10 year anniversary of Coaster by the Orlando Sentinel: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_...y-pictures.html

#6 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

First rode in August of '99 during my honeymoon. I remember instantly loving it, as I am a big Aerosmith fan, and I also remember the insane heat as we waiting in line outside.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#7 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

My first ride on RnRC was actually this year...even though I've been going to DIsney for many years I'm not a thrill seeker, so I sent my kids on it first (They're like my guinea pigs, they test things out for me, I mean what's the reason to have kids in the first place, :lol: :blink: ) after many rides that they had, I looked in the faces of adults and kids coming out of the ride, no tears, so it was finally my turn, and YES like everyone else when you see that car blast at high speed it's intimidating, but I did it, and now love it.
Lets see when I get the nerves to ride ToT :) alot of more people come out from there crying.
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

I remember after riding RnR for the first time, I became a fan of Aerosmith's music

#9 User is offline   jbwolffiv 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography and hockey

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

I remember going on it for the first time in August of 99. It was my first trip with my wife and I believe that is the trip that sold me on the whole Disney thing. I did not even know that the ride was only a few weeks old (or maybe only a week). It is one of my favorite rides in all of WDW.
John

#10 User is offline   Studio Kid 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Visiting the Studios

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:46 AM

I remember my first time in 01 it was awet night had a fastpass and this was my second lopping roller coaster i still remeber steven tyler counting in my ear and i was like ahhhhhh when it launched i'll never forget it. here's to another 10.

#11 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

Seriously, another anniversary? Can we just stop this?

#12 User is offline   jeffk 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

This was my first coaster inversion too...at age 30! I grew up in Pittsburgh, and in all those years of going to Kennywood, I never got up the nerve to ride one of the big steel coasters. RnRC was really intimidating at first - standing in line watching train after train blast off was absolute torture that first time - but I laughed and screamed throughout the ride and still do every time I go on. There's nothing quite like that first few seconds.

The Aerosmith theming is probably my least favorite part of the attraction, but honestly, the music fits the ride just fine. Still, I'd prefer something like the Stones or the Beatles. Or a totally unhinged Pink Floyd Trip 'n' Freakercoaster. ("And now it's time to set the controls for the heart of the ... fun!")

But perhaps not.

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

Welcome to Studios Central Jeff!

#14 User is offline   FriarTuck&Roll 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

I remember watching this ride being constructed. Seeing the progress both from World Drive and from the top of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. That was interesting watching a coaster track being built and then surronded by a building. I remember when I first started riding it. I love thrill rides and love the launch, but find the rest of the coaster to be lacking something. There are things I really miss from when the ride first opened. That includes the outdoor soundtrack that used to include more than just Aerosmith tracks, the live cast member picking up the Les Paul in the pre show, and the more random Aerosmith tracks on the rollercoaster. Still, this is usually a ride I cant miss when I go to the studios.

#15 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

I miss some of those details as well FriarTuck.

#16 User is offline   D.gooky 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Auto racing, motorcross

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:38 PM

Wow, 8 mph faster than the Dragster in Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio.. and taller too..I forget how much more.. They just keep getting faster and taller..... You gonna ride it? LOL...

#17 User is offline   Mousekedude 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Disney, boating, fishing, reading, good music.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

OMG, Matt!!! You were never a fan of Aerosmith until the ride?! What rock have you been living under?!
LOL, just razzing you. You may be a bit young to remember their glory days. Actually, you are about the same age as my wife, and she has been an Aerosmith fan since she could walk. Well, to each his own.... LOL
Speaking of my wife, I have to tell her story: she has an issue with rides that have strong negative G-forces, so she was adamantly opposed to going on RnR at first. Finally on our second or third trip, I talked her into going. She SCREAMED LIKE A BANSHEE the whole time, but absolutely loved it!! You should have seen her afterwards: pale as a ghost, shaking like a leaf, pupils the size of dinner plates, but giggling like a school girl! It took her a whole day to get over it, but now she is a RnR ADDICT!!!
I still laugh about it..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not a Disney freak... I'm NOT, I tell you... no way.... you can't prove it....

#18 User is offline   FRD714 

• Here We Go! 5..4..3..2...

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

I was never a fan of Aerosmith until the ride either.
Frank
"We'd like to dedicate this to our friends out there in that superstretch limo...."

#19 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

View PostD.gooky, on Oct 23 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

Wow, 8 mph faster than the Dragster in Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio.. and taller too..I forget how much more.. They just keep getting faster and taller..... You gonna ride it? LOL...

I think you're talking about Kingda Ka...

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users