Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should Little Mermaid Get The Boot?

#1 User is offline   plutofan1 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

A thought occurred to me the other day. With the new Little Mermaid ride being built at MK, isn't it a bit repetitive to have VOTLM at the Studios? I'd love to see something new installed there, as I think the show has just about run its course. On the other hand though, it's kind of similar to the Nemo situation with the musical and ride at Epcot. It's just that these two Mermaid attractions are literally telling the same exact story, albeit in a different format. I know it's extremely unlikely, and there's obviously other things that should probably be fixed and/or built sooner (ahem, Sounds Dangerous), but thought I'd throw the question out there...

#2 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:32 AM

That is an interesting question. I'm not a show person and try to avoid them as much as possible but I do like this one. I think there are other shows that can be replaced before this one...like Sounds Dangerous! And like you mentioned, Nemo seems to be doing well in 2 parks. The special effects seems to set the Little Mermaid show ahead of other shows like Beauty & the Beast (another of my princess daughter's favorites!) so that even my son will only grumble a little when forced to go see it. Plus I think they need to keep some stuff for the younger kids to do for when the older ones are on ToT or RnRC. Obviously they love TSM but the lines are too long to just pop in and ride while an older sibling is on a thrill ride. Even though it's a princess show, it can be "scary" enough to appeal to the boys too.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:56 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing Mermaid removed IF Disney were to replace it with a new show and commit enough money to the new show to make it at the very least maintain the quality of the show currently (meaning, no cheap replacements).

#4 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:22 AM

I honestly think The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast should be switched out for similar attractions, just new stories. I'd love to see Aladdin the Musical from Disneyland makes it's way where BnB is and maybe a Princess and the Frog or Tangled show where Mermaid is

#5 User is offline   plutofan1 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

View Postdarthstich, on 06 October 2011 - 02:22 AM, said:

I honestly think The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast should be switched out for similar attractions, just new stories. I'd love to see Aladdin the Musical from Disneyland makes it's way where BnB is and maybe a Princess and the Frog or Tangled show where Mermaid is

Love this idea. Especially bringing in Aladdin from Disneyland. It's really, as Scopa said on the podcast last week, one of the best Disney theme park productions on either coast. As Matt mentioned though, I'm for REPLACEMENTS. The last thing the Studios needs is more empty stages...

#6 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:59 AM

Given that the likelihood is that you'd wind up with the somewhat-flawed Toy Story: The Musical (which DLR already rejected,) I think you're probably better off with what you have.

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

View PostJeanine, on 10 October 2011 - 02:59 AM, said:

Given that the likelihood is that you'd wind up with the somewhat-flawed Toy Story: The Musical (which DLR already rejected,) I think you're probably better off with what you have.

That's primarily why I'm hesitant to go with attraction replacements. I'm fearful of cheaper alternatives (see the current DHS parade as a prime example) replacing quality attractions.

#8 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

I still think this is a good show. Changing to something new would be refreshing, but like Figaro suggested, I believe Sounds Dangerous is the one that MUST fall first.

The Aladdin show is definately worth the time if you are at California Adventure. Very well done indeed!
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#9 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

I would dump the show and try something new

Maybe a Phineas and Ferb attraction for the Animation Courtyard
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#10 User is offline   IlluminatEpcot 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

I agree with everyone about the Aladdin show.. It would be nice to see that come to the Studios. I've also heard rumors that BatB is going to be down for a major refurb of the stage/theater area and even rumors about a Tangled show going in, however again this is all rumor. The Refurb info did come from a CM back in Sept/Oct
Next Trip - Epic October -- 9/27 to 10/3
Staying at Pop Century
Previous Trips: March 2010, 2011
1999: June, Aug, Oct, Dec
2000: April, Oct, Dec

Webmaster of Illuminating Epcot

#11 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

I haven't seen Voyage of the Little Mermaid in years (i.e. over a decade). Actually, I tried to see it the last time I was there (mainly due to my fear of it being replaced and me missing out on my last chance) and after waiting in line for about 40 minutes, I had something come up and had to leave the park (right before being let into the theater, ugh). From what I remember, it was an excellent show and I very much enjoyed the puppets (much like Legend of the Lion King at Magic Kingdom). of course, I saw both of those show many years ago.

My problem with trying to replace a popular attraction is that there isn't really any reason to unless they were trying to tie in with one of their newer properties - of which they don't really have any options right now. The most recent DACs, Rapunzel and The Princess and the Frog, just don't have the popularity or soundtracks on the level of The Little Mermaid to justify replacing it (same reason they turned to these 90s hits when creating the Fantasyland expansion). From waiting in line (which was full), I could see a pretty high level of enthusiasm from both the children and the adults for The Littile Mermaid property. My greatest fear is that they'd replace it with something mediocre like Finding Nemo The Musical, with a bunch a forced songs that no one wants to hear squeezed out of one of PIXAR's popular properties.

That said, replacing the Beauty and the Beast show (which I also haven't seen in years) with Aladdin sounds great. First of all, it would get converted into an inclosed AIR CONDITIONED theater, a major plus. Second of all, it's a popular movie with popular songs and it's a tried and true show. I think it would be a great idea to do this.

The other show I worry about getting replaced is Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular. I'm a little tired of it, since I've seen it around 15 times but it still hold up really well (same with Fantasmic, I'm a little worn out from that too but it holds up well). My greatest fear is that Indiana Jones will be replaced with some mediocre bland generic stunt crap in the same vein as Lights Motors Action (which I only saw once and never felt the need to see again). I personally feel Lights Motors Action is unnecessarily crippling (umm, even more then it already was) the Backlot Tour to the point of being unridable and if any stunt show needs replaced / removed, it's that one.

#12 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

I wouldn't even mind if they brought back Here Comes the Muppets to the Mermaid area! The Muppets are popular enough again that I think it's about time we get some more Muppet stuff back in the park. (Having said that, I'd much prefer Muppet Mobile Labs to Here Comes the Muppets...)

#13 User is offline   obilorne 

• Studios Regular

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

View Postdarthstich, on 16 January 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

I wouldn't even mind if they brought back Here Comes the Muppets to the Mermaid area! The Muppets are popular enough again that I think it's about time we get some more Muppet stuff back in the park. (Having said that, I'd much prefer Muppet Mobile Labs to Here Comes the Muppets...)

My wife and I enjoy it a lot. It's nice break in the middle of a hot afternoon. I hope it stays.

#14 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

I've only gone to the Little Mermaid when Lowell was very young. He didn't like it and we never return. I think it scared him.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users