Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars Weekend 1 report

#1 User is offline   matthewbritt72 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:09 AM

We arrived Friday morning at around 7:00a.m. due to emh on Friday. To my surprise they had the autograph lines and a merchandise line outside to the right of the gates. Four separate lines and I'm sure the merch line will only apply to fridays for the new big fig release each week.
Personally I was very happy about this setup becuase I get very aggitated at waiting in line for an hour or two before the park opens only to get run over by other people who did not wait as long as I have. Any way the lines were a mess friday because they let everyone in the Park at the same time and then tried to move the lines through crowds all the way to the Indiana Jones Fastpass lines. I did not show up sat. morning but by Sunday morning they had this propblem corrected and moved the lines in before the rest of the park opened. The lines were not that long for Kenny Baker, it was just that he is sickly in his old age he can not sign very fast so they only allowed so many people in his line. Bonnie Piesse's line was very easy to get a pass in and so was Jay's. Jay and Bonnie both signed all their passes and their standbys. In fact Bonnie's line was so dead anyone who wanted an autograph could just walk up without a fastpass and they would let you in the line.
The Stormtrooper dialog was all new at the gates in the morning.
Many of the pins were sold out by Sunday but they still had Big Figs and Beanie dolls. The coollest surprise in the store to me was new annimation drawings of the four big figs. I have actually found a way to take all four characters home, saving room and money. They sell for 35$ a picture. There was also a crystal cube with a 3D Pilot Mickey, which was very cool.
There was no adult trivia that I am aware of. They had two childrens trivia times but no adults. Other than that I think everything was about the same as every other year. Oh yeah the weather was great other than a few showers. But the crowds were awful. I've been to atleast one SW weekend every year and I have never seen so many people in the park as I did on Sunday.
Remember to get there about an hour early and you should be fine for at least one autograph a day. Where you line in the morning up is where you stay until you get your fastpass (Hooray no more people running past me). May the force be with you.

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the report Matthew :lol:

#3 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:01 PM

The changes are interesting and certainly change some of the dynamics. I'm sort of reassessing what I need to do Friday morning. I wonder if there were any weekend 1 figs that did not sell or if they were all gone by the end of Sunday? I've got some things on my list that must be collected! :fett:

I do wish they would add some sort of event. The loss of Millionaire and the adult trivia should have made way for something else.

No matter, this Sith is ready to go! :lol:
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:02 PM

I recall seeing there were leftover Big Figs from Weekend 1. Read this post for information on the distribution of Big Figs. And as I guessed before SWW, the Big Figs are too expensive to sell out at the rate that other SWW merchandise does.

#5 User is offline   juliedeily 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

But the crowds were awful. I've been to atleast one SW weekend every year and I have never seen so many people in the park as I did on Sunday.

I think Sunday was busy because Saturday had Tropical Storm Barry looming over, it was not that busy at all at MGM. We went to Jabba's Hutt twice, once in the morning and once in the afternoon and we never had to wait in line. It was a little rainy in the morning but we went anyways and it turned out to be a great decision. So, if the weather looks like it's not going to be that great, go anyways. In Florida, if it rains, not a lot of people go to the parks or go out as much as when it's sunny (even if it's unbearably hot).

Just my two cents. :mrgreen:

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:48 PM

Welcome to MGMStudios.Org juliedeily!

#7 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

QuickGold said:

I recall seeing there were leftover Big Figs from Weekend 1. And as I guessed before SWW, the Big Figs are too expensive to sell out at the rate that other SWW merchandise does.

I've ready a number of things, one had them down to 10 on Sunday, so I'm really hoping that you a right and there are more. There is no question, they are too expensive, especially if they are going to put 4 out.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#8 User is offline   matthewbritt72 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:36 AM

I think Juliedeily is probably right about the tropical storm on saturday. My wife and I went to EPCOT and it was dead also. However Sunday at MGM was awful. I hope it does not continue to be that crowded, especially with the construction going on near the store. You could hardly walk down the street because everyone taking pictures of the characters and the big walls they have blocking off the workers.

As far as the Big Figs go. I did not purchase anything from the store until about 5:00p.m. on sunday and they were still available. I did not ask how many they had left because I had already decided to just buy the animated drawings of them (saving money and space).

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

I believe crowds will get heavier and heavier as we progress through June because in WDW in general, it gets more and more crowded as you get closer to July.

#10 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:00 PM

Matt, thanks for the report. Week 4 will be my first SWW event. I just want to make sure I understand the authorgraph line set up. It sounds like the line is set up before you get into the park. But then you mentioned a line to the FP at Indiana Jones. So are you saying that the line outside the park is to get a ticket, so that you can get on a different line? Sorry, but again I haven't been there before, during the SWW event.
And do you think an hour early will be enough, to get on Anthony Daniels line? :queen:
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#11 User is offline   matthewbritt72 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

They started the line outside and then about 15 minutes early moved everyone through the gates and single file to the indiana jones fastpass area to get a ticket. A CM told me the purpose for lining up outside was to cut down on injuries due to people running to the lines inside the park.
As for showing up an hour early. That is what I did Friday and I was within the first 50 people in line (10:30-10:45 autograph fastpass time). However, Sunday I did the same thing and was about 5 people away from standby fastpasses (4:40-4:50 time). I did notice that Kenny Baker was signing so slow that they limited his fastpasses though. As for Anthony Daniels I have always heard that he limits his autographs per day anyways. My suggestion would be Friday try to show up an hour early (before EMH time) and if that does not work show up earlier Sat. & Sun. until you get in. Thats my plan and it usually seems to always work out fine.

#12 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:19 PM

I think Matthew covered your question fairly well Maureen. You will certainly want to get a FP for autographs right when the park opens.

#13 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

Thanks Matt and Matt. I really appreciate the tips to getting an autograph. I really don't care so much about the autograph, but I would love to get a photo and to of course ask about the new ride that he did filming for. What am I saying, of course I want an autograph. I'll even buy an new Disney autograph book.

Thanks again :queen:
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users