• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trip Report 31/12/08

#1 User is offline   Rock'n'rollergirl 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Aerosmith, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, films

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:32 AM

We arrived at the Studios around 11am. It was very busy (as expected).

Priorities meant that I ran straight to the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. The queue was at that time around 100 minutes. Now as a hard core Aerosmith fan, I wasn't going to miss my favourite attraction in the park, but at the same time, didn't really want to miss the other attractions either. So I grabbed my fastpass for 6pm and decided to see what was happening over at Tower. Pretty much the same thing, except the queue was 10 minutes shorter. Fastpasses at that time were for 11pm. Late, but better than nothing.

Next to the Great Movie Ride, where the queue was a surprisingly respectable 15 minutes. We were ushered into the back car (bad times) and continued into the ride. Turns out we were in the Gangster car as Mugsi hijacked the vehicle. As expected, we were behind in terms of the narration, so films like Alien were a little disappointing when you were waiting for the alien to be above you, instead of it being a surprise. However, the overall the ride was as wonderful as it always had been. I love the video montage at the end...

After GMR, we hopped over to Indy. Turns out they were already loading guests into the auditorium so we joined the back of the queue. When we got in, the only seats available were the first few rows at the very edge on the right hand side. We managed to get the 3rd row (if you count the 1st row being the walkway)They weren't bad though, sure you weren't right in the middle of the action, but at least all the action would be in your field of vision without looking left-right all the time. Plus you could watch them warming up on the trampolines outside whilst waiting for the show to begin. After beginning with the Raiders scene and other general formalities, they started looking for extras. I was happy that I was finally 18 and could actually have a chance at being an extra, so I gave it a go, and lo and behold I heard the words "and you in the blue shirt, come on down!" WHOOP WHOOP!
I jumped over to the empty row in front of me, ran along and struggled to undo the rope at the end, my hands were shaking! Then I joined the other 2 people that had already been chosen on stage. It's quite weird being down there, looking up at the audience. Another girl joined me which meant I wasn't the only girl - yay! After introducing ourselves (to which I received a rather large cheer after saying I was from England) we ran up the steps to the "costume department". From there we were dressed in robes, then turbans for the guys and a headdress fixed with rope for the girls.
We were took back onto the "stage" and made to do some warm up "acting". Of course we all rocked at that part, especially "confused", which we needed no help with. After shaking hands with Indy and Marion (during which Indy said "I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you all how ridiculous you guys look..."), we were put into groups. I was in a group of 3 with the other girl who I mentioned earlier and a guy (who later turned out to be the 'secret stunt guy'). We were positioned by the mound of rugs and had to improvise shopping for rugs.
Because we weren't rigged with mics, we could talk away. At one point, stunt guy said to me "er, I don't think you should be stroking the rug..." to which I replied "I'm improvising! I like the texture!" He laughed and we continued our job: watching the acrobatics at the beginning, then cheering on Indy and Marion when the fight began. You know the rest. We left the stage, and gave the costumes back. It got rather hot in those costumes, and thankfully there was a water cooler by the costumes. Stunt guy said "go on take some! It's saving you like $4 or however much they're charging you in the park! Plus you get a limited edition paper Disney Halloween cup!"He then congratulated all of us and thanked us for taking part, then turned and ran backstage.
After the show, Bad Guy (Darryl) was clearing some of the props away when a family asked if he could have a photo taken with their children. My mom wanted me to have a picture, but in the end it turned into mom and dad having photos with him and me taking them. Darryl asked where about were we from and it turned out he lived just down the road from my mom years ago when he lived in England! Small world, huh?

Post Indy, we took a trip over to Sounds Dangerous. I'd never done it before, and it was quite cool. Even using old school headphones, I really enjoyed it!

Backlot was next, and after reading the topic on how badly the tour needed updating, I could understand where you guys were coming from. The costumes were nice, but they couldn't make up for the poor quality of everything else...

We headed down Sunset, as it was getting towards R'n'R time, and as we were doing so, passed the HPW guys. I really enjoyed their show last time, but I think we'd just missed their show, as they were walking towards the Brown Derby.

As we got to R'n'R the normal queue was massive. 180 minutes to be exact. We jumped into the fastpass queue, which started next to the mini merch stall outside in the forecourt. By the time we'd hit the wall, there was an announcement saying they were experiencing technical difficulties. 20 minutes later they announced they were closing the ride. I was majorly owned! Bummed, I went to Rock Around The Shop, thinking well if I cant ride it, I'm at least going to get me some Aerosmith merchandise (the shipping over to the UK from Aerosmith's website is really expensive). Whilst browsing around in there, a voice from the PA announced they were opening the ride again. I immediately sprinted out of the store and ran straight for the ride again. Being one of the first people in the queue, the wait was non existent, I managed to get front row (O yeah!) and the first song I got was Love In An Elevator. After that ride, I ran around again (making full use of the small queues) and went as a single rider. This time I was in the 7th row and got Back In The Saddle & Dude.
Once off my second ride, I met my parents outside. They said that they thought it'd be a good idea if we left as we had a 12 hour flight the next day and a good night's rest would be advised.

So we left at around 8pm. Feeling majorly bummed about missing out of ToT, Fantasmic, Lights, Muppetvision, Disney Animation and the fireworks at midnight that evening, I felt (and still feel) like I'd missed out. Especially considering I've yet to experience ToT (3 times I've visited since it's been there and I haven't been able to ride it because:
A) too young (and subsequently too short)
B) fainted during the queue
C) (this time) had to leave early)

Overall though, I had a wonderful day. I can't really complain as I did manage to go on R'n'R, although I must say it felt slower than I remembered. Plus being an extra in Indy was totally awesome - something I'll never forget.

All the people who worked at Indy were really nice, and I'm so grateful for getting the chance to be part of it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
\\\"There is a place where castle spires gleam in the night sky,
Where fantasy is real and wishes come true,
Where every day ends happily ever after.
There is a place where magic lives.\\\"

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

Great report....looking forward to seeing your photos!

#3 User is offline   Rock'n'rollergirl 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Matt

*pictures added*

#4 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

Nice report and I enjoyed the photos. I've been an Indy extra too and it is great fun. That's to bad you didn't get a photo with someone from the cast. I think they take turns hanging around afterwards for photos. My son will be 18 in April, so I was thinking he could try to get selected instead of me for our next trip.

I don't know why your parents felt that you all needed a good night sleep for a long flight home. After all that's what the plane ride is for.

Sounds like you had a great trip. It's to bad you didn't get to do everything you wanted. The wait times sound unbelievable.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#5 User is offline   Rock'n'rollergirl 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

Thank you!

It really is a wonderful experience, isn't it?
I was thinking of creating a Facebook group for Indy extras, let me know if you think its a waste of time or not...

I think that's exactly the reason why, because we wouldn't get a good sleep on the flight! Instead I amused myself with the Disney cartoons and a film called City of Ember

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users