Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exclusive Club 33 info

#1 User is offline   kimdben 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:09 AM

Hi, I don't know if this is listed anywhere else already, but I just found this link.

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/02/03/i...ssion-doesnt-s/

It states that this club has a 14 year waiting list and is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay expensive. :blink: :huh: :)

Kim
Kim
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:38 AM

I was not aware of the one in Tokyo...

I love hearing about that place, and it is a secret goal of my life to go there once, but i'm not sure if i'd pay to be a member, even if god strikes down every person who is currently a member, and about 13 years worth of wait listers lol

#3 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:21 AM

Yet another article using the thematic underpinning that anyone going to Disney is a childish fool and a wastrel. It's misleading to imply that the 14 year wait list all accumulated during "the recession," like some cliched New Yorker cartoon of fat-cat industrialists stomping on apple-selling orphans on their way into the restaurant, but perhaps it can be chalked up to the writer's apparent stance that anything they haven't heard of before, must be new.

They did manage to use the Media's most scornful insult in their armamentarium however: The obligatory "Trekkie" comparison. So, you know, full unoriginality points for that.

#4 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:41 PM

The basis of the article is about spending well above normal amounts for certain experiences. They're mentioning Club 33 as just one example. I imagine they could have expanded the article they could have included spending for lavish hotels and cruises too. It's coming from an economics blog, so you get the slant.

I don't know if "Trekkie" is always an insult. I certainly don't think real Trekkies would think so. It is a way to express fanaticism to an extreme. In terms of price alone, Club 33 is hardly a bargain. I think only super fans would be willing to go that much over market price for a meal. The article doesn't include factors such as "experience" which might just justify the price to some people.

#5 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

View Postsurfpark, on Feb 11 2010, 06:41 PM, said:

I don't know if "Trekkie" is always an insult. I certainly don't think real Trekkies would think so. It is a way to express fanaticism to an extreme.

Hmm, puts me in the mood to pile people into the van, pop in some RUSH and take a drive through IOWA. :evil: :blink: :sam:
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#6 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:26 AM

View PostThe Dark Lord of the Sith, on Feb 15 2010, 01:09 PM, said:

Hmm, puts me in the mood to pile people into the van, pop in some RUSH and take a drive through IOWA. :evil: :blink: :sam:

I don't get the reference, Colin. :evil:
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#7 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:24 AM

View Postsurfpark, on Feb 11 2010, 03:41 PM, said:

The basis of the article is about spending well above normal amounts for certain experiences. They're mentioning Club 33 as just one example. I imagine they could have expanded the article they could have included spending for lavish hotels and cruises too. It's coming from an economics blog, so you get the slant.

I don't know if "Trekkie" is always an insult. I certainly don't think real Trekkies would think so. It is a way to express fanaticism to an extreme. In terms of price alone, Club 33 is hardly a bargain. I think only super fans would be willing to go that much over market price for a meal. The article doesn't include factors such as "experience" which might just justify the price to some people.

My take on it, is that it's an insulting, condescending article like most articles written about Disney matters outside of Disney-related publications. I actually know several people who go to Club 33 everytime they go to Disneyland, not because they are particular fans, but because with the included tickets, it's cheaper than buying one-day tickets and a comparable meal separately.

The inference is that people who go there, or want to go there, are stupid, wasteful people that should be giving their money to charity rather than indulging in something that is of no value to the writer. Similarly, my take on the word "Trekkie" is that outside of Star Trek-related publications, it is virtually always meant as a slur, implying people who are childishly obsessed with something of no significance, caught in perpetual adolescence. As always, YMMV.

I could go on about the whole "trekkie" vs. "trekker" nomenclature debacle, but probably TMI.

#8 User is offline   syndony 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:11 AM

I was there was 2002 and knowing it would be my last time I took friends that had heard about it, but had no way in. What a treat it was for them. They'd probably crap if they knew how much their meals were, but they love Disney so much it was worth it being able to take them. And, the food is great. Someone told me that a lot of the vegetables comes from the stuff you see planted around Disney.

#9 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

What amazes me is how little people outside the Disney community really know about Club 33. I've had a friend ask me why I haven't eaten at Club 33 yet since I'm a big Disney geek. Even if I had the money to join and could wait out that list, I probably wouldn't.

Would I like to eat there someday? Yes. Will I? Probably not. Will my life be somehow incomplete if I never eat there? No way, no how. I've had so many incredible and rare Disney "geek" moments that I wouldn't trade for a membership to Club 33.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users