• You cannot reply to this topic

Disney Junior to replace SOAPnet in 2012

#1 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

From Stitch Kingdom:

Posted Image

Disney/ABC Television Group will launch Disney Junior, a new multiplatform brand and 24-hour basic cable/satellite channel and online site devoted to preschool-age children. Scheduled to debut in the U.S. in 2012, Disney Junior will invite mom and dad to join their child in the Disney experience of magical, musical and heartfelt stories and characters, both classic and new, while incorporating specific learning and development themes designed for kids age 2-7.

The new Disney Junior brand will also provide affiliate partners with a robust Video-On-Demand offering, a High-definition network and a Spanish language SAP feed.

Disney Junior’s animated and live action programming will blend Disney’s unparalleled storytelling and characters kids love deeply with learning, including early math, language skills, healthy eating and lifestyles, and social skills.

The 24-hour Disney Junior schedule will include 200 new episodes annually of both new series, including “Jake and the Never Land Pirates,” and current hits, including “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse,” “Handy Manny,” “Special Agent Oso,” “Imagination Movers” and “Jungle Junction.” Disney’s vast array of classic and contemporary movies, including among others “101 Dalmatians,” “Aladdin” and “Little Mermaid,” will be showcased.

In the U.S., the new Disney Junior channel will take the place of the SOAPnet channel, currently available in 75 million homes. Prior to the launch of the 24-hour channel, the Disney Junior brand will be introduced on Disney Channel’s daily programming block for preschoolers (currently branded Playhouse Disney).

Anne Sweeney, co-chair, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney/ABC Television Group, said: “The launch of Disney Junior in the U.S. is the next step in our global preschool strategy, which began 10 years ago with the premiere of our first dedicated preschool channel in the UK. The decision to ultimately transition SOAPnet to accomplish this was not arrived at lightly. SOAPnet was created in 2000 to give daytime viewers the ability to watch time-shifted soaps, before multiplatform viewing and DVRs were part of our vocabulary. But today, as technology and our businesses evolve, it makes more sense to align this distribution with a preschool channel that builds on the core strengths of our company.” (Read more...)

#2 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:25 PM

Hmm, Interesting for us Studio fans. What becomes of the Playhouse Disney show, and Dining if this is re branded? New name, new characters, or elimination and new attraction? Should be interesting

#3 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

Playhouse Disney will continue to be a block of pre-school programming on the Disney Channel. Disney Junior will just air Playhouse Disney programming 24/7. I think the parks will stay for a while. Since many other countries don't have a Disney Junior, it is easier to keep the older name.

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

Sounds like a competitor network to Nickelodean's Noggin network

#5 User is offline   IlluminatEpcot 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

Id like to see them play some of the classic Disney cartoons as well, or even some of the former shows from Disney Channel from when I was younger. Wouldnt hurt them to bring back Walt Disney World Inside Out.. i loved that one.

Unfortunately I bet if they bring back the classic stuff, it would air overnight or some other non peak time.
Next Trip - Epic October -- 9/27 to 10/3
Staying at Pop Century
Previous Trips: March 2010, 2011
1999: June, Aug, Oct, Dec
2000: April, Oct, Dec

Webmaster of Illuminating Epcot

#6 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

View PostMHWeaver913, on May 28 2010, 01:45 AM, said:

Id like to see them play some of the classic Disney cartoons as well, or even some of the former shows from Disney Channel from when I was younger. Wouldnt hurt them to bring back Walt Disney World Inside Out.. i loved that one.

Like Kids Incorporated!?!? That was always my favorite. And MMC and Avonlea. Back in the day when Disney Channel was a premium channel, we used to live for free preview weekends. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users