• You cannot reply to this topic

NY Times article on Bob Iger

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...ess/11iger.html

Some thoughts on Iger....

Gotta give him credit for making the Pixar deal happen. If Disney had let Pixar go, it would have been a disaster. He also made the Marvel deal happen, although jury is still out on whether that deal will pan out or not.

One gripe I have with Iger, especially after the Eisner era, is I feel like the parks have suffered from not having the attention they deserve. Let's start with Tom Skaggs, the new head of the parks. He was Disney's CFO and came in with zero knowledge of the parks. That's like someone hiring me to be the CEO of Bank of America or Derek Jeter to be CEO of Toyota. It doesn't make sense and I firmly believe you have to have a passion to be successful and Tom Skaggs is not that man (he had never visited the Disney parks prior to be getting the job).

In addition, I feel like Iger is the catalyst behind all the outsourcing Disney has done from resorts to restaurants to attractions and everything else. That's another rant for another thread, but I don't like it.

#2 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

I personally feel a lot of the outsourcing and homoginization came from Jay Rasulo who is no longer the head of the parks division. However, I don't expect Skaggs to change any of it back, or make drastic changes. I personally think Skaggs was brought in to pinch more pennies.

I know there are some big projects on the horizon, but there's really nothing happening right now. Disney seems to be taking a very conservative approach right now with the Orlando parks.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

View PostADP, on Apr 12 2010, 12:32 PM, said:

I personally feel a lot of the outsourcing and homoginization came from Jay Rasulo who is no longer the head of the parks division. However, I don't expect Skaggs to change any of it back, or make drastic changes. I personally think Skaggs was brought in to pinch more pennies.

I know there are some big projects on the horizon, but there's really nothing happening right now. Disney seems to be taking a very conservative approach right now with the Orlando parks.

I agree with your post Aaron. We were spoiled with Eisner because he put a lot of attention (and money) into the parks. Now we have guys like Skaggs who simply view the parks as a bottom line.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users