Studios Central: WDW Today/Mousefan Travel Reunion - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WDW Today/Mousefan Travel Reunion

#1 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hey Matt,

I'll be down from Dec 10 - 14 for the "reunion". Was curious about the arrangement with Mousefan Travel. Will only people booking through Mousefan Travel be allowed to attend the events, or will they be open to anyone? I'll probably be staying partially on DVC points and partially offsite so I'm hoping anyone can join these events.

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

Let me get clarification so I can get you the right answer....

#3 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

It seems as though all of the events are open to everyone. The only exception is the WDWToday live show at the American Adventure. If you've booked with MEI you'll have first crack at getting tickets before they are made available to everyone else.

For those who are attending, or considering attending here is the link to the reunion site.
www.wdwtoday.com/reunion

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Aaron, I neglected to post an answer here but you are indeed correct.

#5 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Sep 28 2009, 11:55 AM, said:

Thanks Aaron, I neglected to post an answer here but you are indeed correct.

No worries Matt. Thanks to you and the rest of the crew for putting this together.

#6 User is offline   Mouseoholic 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

Deleted

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

Welcome to Studios Central Michael & Amber!

Glad to hear you enjoy the podcast so much. I wish there was a photo of your setup, as I'd love to have seen that :o

Looking forward to meeting you in person at Reunion!

#8 User is offline   Mouseoholic 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

When will tickets for the Live Podcast recording be going on sale? :w00t: I think I am obsessed. I check every day. Several times a day and I know that just when I give up, that's when they will go on sale and I will miss it. :lol: :( :jedi:

I am sure it is allot of work on your part. Once up, hopefully all of the fans will not crash the sight. LOL

#9 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:23 AM

D23/Disney announced a rather large weekend fan event the same weekend as the Renunion and many other community events.
http://d23.disney.go.com/expo/100709_D23Ev...cMerriment.html

I, for one, will not be attending this D23 event. If I tried to schedule these events into my weekend it would be way too hectic. (I still haven't joined D23 anyway).

I'm all for choice and more events, but what I found odd is the timing, and the fact they scheduled this over what would have been Mousefest. Considering the size of the event its going to conflict with other fan community activiites. Can we officially say D23 (official fan community) is now competing with unofficial fan communities???? :D

I'm I crazy for thinking this way???

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

$195/person? No thank you.

#11 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Oct 10 2009, 04:50 PM, said:

$195/person? No thank you.

Now, did you SEE what was included?

2 days admission for one = $166.14
2 DisneyQuest admissions = $85.20
Dinner & Dessert @ LMA = $30 (estimate)
Lunch @ Diamond Horseshoe = $20 (estimate)
MVMCP admission = $55.38 in advance

That's a total estimated value of $356.22! Even if you take away the value of the two days admission, that's still $190.58. Considering members can bring up to three guests... remember the cost of 4 for the MVMCP is over $220!

Couple that with the reserved viewing of the two show/parade, the Cinderella Castle Suite tour, the last ride on whatever DHS attraction (my guess is ToT), access to the D23 member lounges for the day; I think it's WELL worth the money.

If I were going down I'd be on this in a heartbeat. Heck, If I had ANY flexibility in travel I'd go down for this.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#12 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

Oh, forgot to mention... seems they do at least a part of the "Yuletide Fantasy" backstage tour, which is a $79 value as well.

#13 User is offline   Mouseoholic 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

ADP,

You took the words right out of our mouth. They seem to be trying to cash-in on those that support people like you and me and want us to have the most magical vacation as possible. One evening we had one too many margaritas and joined D23. I was very disappointed when I found out that all it gives us is the option to shell out even more money than we already do to attend special events and the license to purchase D23 merchandise. I like being a member of a special club but I am really beginning to think that Disney is taking more than it is giving these days. I plan on writing a very long letter and personally walking it in to Town Hall when we visit in December. I am all for the Disney that Walt believed in and created and am finding it more and more of a challenge to spend as much as we have in the past at the Parks.

Ok so this is not the thread to vent :unsure: ... =) We discussed this as a family and for many reasons, we have decided to support the WDW Today community and will not be attending the D23 event. :D :D :heart_smiley:

P.S. YoPaulie,
You are right. When you add it up it is not bad for what you are getting. We are members. I just have an issue with ALL that Disney has been doing...
1.) Removing backs from seats in restaurants
2.) Charging for premium seats at water parks
3.) Charging for premium seats for fireworks (yes dessert is included and I am going... but the point is everything is beginning to cost too much).
4.) Increase in park tickets
etc...

#14 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

As for the date, they total saw that Mousefest wasn't happening and picked the weekend for that.

#15 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

If you paid $75 for membership, what was the point? All the events of interest cost extra...what exactly did the membership fee cover aside from the magazine and the "free" gift? Many of the events we see end up costing extra and I'm just not seeing value, especially for annual pass holders (of whom I'm sure many are D23 members).

#16 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:33 PM

I've posted this here before, but by my math, here's the breakdown:

$75 membership fee
- $16 per quarterly magazine
-------
$11 for the membership itself.

I have also received a poster, a patch, and the opportunity for a whole boatload of member-exclusive events, such as the one above, the Mary Poppins: The Musical Meet & Greets, the archive tours, Lion King shows, Screening of Up!, and slight discounts at the expo. Also the members-only boutique, which is now offering ALL of the Disney Treasures on DVD in one box set for $500. Which is a lot, but comes down to less than $10 per disc, which is a SEVERE discount.

You're telling me $11 isn't worth the opportunity for ANY of that for you?

And, what does annual passholderness have to do with it? I actually like that Disney isn't assuming that everyone has an annual pass. I'm also of the opinion that you could use that 2 day pass towards your renewal. And yes, SOME of the events of interest cost extra; I'm wondering what is the normal status of this D23 lounge at Epcot… Is it there all the time for members?

Would you consider a Club 33 membership at Disneyland an utter waste as well, considering you still have to pay for the meal, Matt? Or isn't the opportunity alone worth something?

Come to think of it, DVC is pretty much the same thing. When you come down to it, the member dues you pay for your points pretty much take care of any notion of a "free" stay, and you had the hefty down payment. You still have to buy park tickets and dining. Now, DVC offers discounts for all of those things, and the dues offer the opportunity to stay at deluxe resorts for WAY WAY less than you would spend out of pocket; but no one seems to mind for that. I know I don't.

DVC is fantastic, as is D23. For me, anyway.

(Edit: The bit about DVC came to me later)

#17 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

View PostMouseoholic, on Oct 10 2009, 06:54 PM, said:

P.S. YoPaulie,
You are right. When you add it up it is not bad for what you are getting. We are members. I just have an issue with ALL that Disney has been doing...
1.) Removing backs from seats in restaurants
2.) Charging for premium seats at water parks
3.) Charging for premium seats for fireworks (yes dessert is included and I am going... but the point is everything is beginning to cost too much).
4.) Increase in park tickets
etc...

Removing backs from seats? Where is that? Also... sorry... "premium" seats at water parks? Again... where is that? I honestly don't know.

Remember the days when you could just…watch fireworks? Why do you need seats? From what I understand, the dessert party doesn't have the best view anyway; do what others have done since forever and stake out a spot early. The "price" for the premium seats is to not have to wait, but that's your decision. I choose not to pay.

And Disney is absolutely not the only park to raise their ticket prices. Six Flags Great Adventure near me has a 1 day price of $49.99. They also charge $20 per car for parking. That's $70 to get in the park. In 2003 the ticket price was $37.99, with $5 parking. That's $45, an increase of 69% in 6 years!

By comparison, a one day ticket at WDW was $63 in 2003, and is now $84, an increase of 33%. Universal and Sea World have done comparable increases.

#18 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

Quick note that there are just a few tickets left for the American Adventure meet at Reunion: http://www.mousefant...mft/reunion.php

If you want any, book now because I suspect they wont last at all.

#19 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Oct 10 2009, 06:38 PM, said:

If you paid $75 for membership, what was the point? All the events of interest cost extra...what exactly did the membership fee cover aside from the magazine and the "free" gift? Many of the events we see end up costing extra and I'm just not seeing value, especially for annual pass holders (of whom I'm sure many are D23 members).

When it was first announced, D23 didn't seem like a great value to me--I have stacks of unread magazines waiting for me at all times, usually sitting next to the stack of "limited edition lithographs" I've accumulated and never displayed. With the fairly minimal discount on the Expo tickets (which I knew I was going to go to anyway,) I figured I would wait to join until they released information on the special events, which would be the only thing that would make it worth it to me.

When they did announce them, there were several free events around here scheduled. I made sure I could get tickets to one event before joining, and calculated that the one event at rack rate, plus the Expo discount would just about let me break even on the price of membership. I eventually got into another event which I figure put me over the top, and could have attended another, had I been in town. If I didn't live in the LA area, I don't think I would consider it worthwhile.

If I had to guess, I'd think that they got tired of the perpetual complaining that people couldn't get into the events because they were so limited in capacity that the tickets sold out instantly. By creating high-price events, they narrow the population competing for tickets to the people who can afford it, who are likely to be less concerned about getting their money' worth anyway.

RE the WDW event: On the one hand, they made it hard to use the tickets for AP renewal by making them expire in 2 months. On the other hand, it's 2 days worth of events for ~$200, and at Disneyland, they offered a 1 evening event for ~$300. And on the third hand, apparently all the tickets were gone in seconds. So it goes.

#20 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

View PostYoPaulie, on Oct 11 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

By comparison, a one day ticket at WDW was $63 in 2003, and is now $84, an increase of 33%. Universal and Sea World have done comparable increases.

This is the part that scares me most. 33% increase in 6 years. If this keeps up we'll be looking at Disney parks being for the elite in about 15 to 20 years, much like attending a professional sporting event is these days.

I agree with what Matt was saying...I feel like my AP has lost some value because of D23. Why not let AP holders participate in the event? Why just let D23 members participate?

My whole point about the D23 event was the timing....Not so much the specific weekend, but the amount of time the events are consuming over a weekend many Disney fans will be attending unofficial events. They easily could have picked a specific date, time, and single event and it wouldn't have been so conflicting with other unofficial events.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users