• Group: Members
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009...neyland-resort/

#2 User is offline   acp 

• Studios God

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:38 AM

Aw, no Epcot? Shame. I'd like to have seen this when I'm over there in Feb/Mar. :D

Andy.
Andy.
Former Disney-MGM Studios Cast Member.

Studios Central Worlds Apart Column

#3 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

I've heard rumors it would eventually return to Epcot on Screamscape, the only question is what building would it reappear?
-Josh

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

If MJ wasn't dead, they wouldn't be doing this. Frankly, that isn't enough of a reason for me to bring this back. Sure it's nostalgic but honestly, the attraction wasn't that great by any means and I'm sure we can list a dozen other extinct attractions that deserve to be brought back before Captain EO.

#5 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

I doubt it'd make a return to Epcot. Disneyland has been bringing a lot of old attractions back lately, WDW hasn't joined the bandwagon. I think it's a good idea, bc i loved the show when i saw it at Disneyland, and i think it's better than Honey i shrunk the Audience. gthough i have to agree with matt that there are more deserving attractions...

#6 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:18 AM

I was glad to hear the news.
I saw the show when I was really young and have vague recollections of it.
I do think it is a nice tribute to Michael though.
I agree there are some other extinct shows that could be brought back, but all this requires is another movie in the projector. Its easier to pull off than rebuilding the old journey into imagination ride.
I do think its a shame that its only in disneyland, and not WDW.
It stilll seems to me that Disneyland is more in touch with traditions and the past than WDW.
But then again, WDW gets a lot more visitors and would have issues with closing down HISTA (the same reason WDW does not have holliday HM editions).
However, from what i remember, Captain EO is better than HISTA.

#7 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

I was never a fan of this nor of Michael Jackson. Seems to me that they are just taking advantage of his death. I actually thought it was the dumbest movie. From what I remember, wasn't this pulled & replaced because of the charges brought against him? (Not saying whether I agree or disagree with the original charges) Seems interesting that they would bring it back to honor him now with it.

#8 User is offline   General Specific 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

View PostFigaro, on Dec 28 2009, 12:18 PM, said:

I was never a fan of this nor of Michael Jackson. Seems to me that they are just taking advantage of his death. I actually thought it was the dumbest movie. From what I remember, wasn't this pulled & replaced because of the charges brought against him? (Not saying whether I agree or disagree with the original charges) Seems interesting that they would bring it back to honor him now with it.

Such is the nature of being a celebrity. After people have grown tired with your ascension and 15 minutes of fame, they'll drag you through the mud until you die, at which point you become a god.

#9 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Dec 27 2009, 01:06 PM, said:

If MJ wasn't dead, they wouldn't be doing this. Frankly, that isn't enough of a reason for me to bring this back. Sure it's nostalgic but honestly, the attraction wasn't that great by any means and I'm sure we can list a dozen other extinct attractions that deserve to be brought back before Captain EO.

Yeah but its only coming back for a brief time right? Thats OK for me

I wish they would replace HISTA. Talk about tired
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#10 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

Two gloves up. This was one of our family's favorite attractions and the only thing that would make me happier about EO coming back, would be if I knew HISTA wasn't.

#11 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

Jim Hill has a post about his theory as to why Captain EO is back. He's saying it has everything to do with park capacity. Since that theater is near Star Tours, it will help offset the flow of people during the Star Tours refurbishment. He also mentions that as soon as Star Tours II is complete, they plan to ditch Captain EO to begin transforming into into Monsters Inc. Comedy Laugh Floor.

#12 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:52 AM

View PostQuickGold, on Dec 27 2009, 01:06 PM, said:

I agree, Matt. Though, I'm interested to see what it looks like with today's standards. When I was 11 and we went to WDW for the first time, my only memory of the show was being so scared of Anjelica Huston I wanted out of the theater immediately. :D

#13 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:32 AM

There is a special announcement that will be released via Disneyland's Twitter page at 1:45pm PST about Captain EO.

The main idea is that it will be the announcement for it to come back to EPCOT for the Summer Nighttastic "event". True why not announce it back at the official Nighttastic press release, but it was a last minute addition after the official release. Also because they weren't expecting such a huge reaction to it returning in DL.

It's speculation at this point, but we'll know in a few hours.
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#14 User is offline   StudioEh 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Acting for theatre

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

View PostIndyandMarion, on Feb 22 2010, 10:32 AM, said:

There is a special announcement that will be released via Disneyland's Twitter page at 1:45pm PST about Captain EO.

The main idea is that it will be the announcement for it to come back to EPCOT for the Summer Nighttastic "event". True why not announce it back at the official Nighttastic press release, but it was a last minute addition after the official release. Also because they weren't expecting such a huge reaction to it returning in DL.

It's speculation at this point, but we'll know in a few hours.

That would be fun! Sounds like something they'd do. My first time to WDW was 1997 so I wouldn't mind seeing Captain EO...at least once. We're scheduled to go June 11-19, so lets hope it is up and running by then! I'm tuned for the announcement this afternoon and a bit excited, too!

#15 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

Turns out it was an announcement about merchandise being released for EO

#16 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

It reopened yesterday and sure enough there was a group of dedicated fans for the first showing. From what I've read, the lines were about 20-40 mintues long all day. Sounds like it will not be returning to Epcot, though I suspect that will change should Disneyland see a dramatic surge upwards in attendance directly related to Captain EO.

Assuming it is still open on my next visit to Disneyland sometime this summer, I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I remember it being an attraction that I enjoyed when I saw it, but that's about it.

#17 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:25 AM

I saw Captn EO a few times as an adult when it was at MK and, frankly, while it was ok, it wasn't a favorite of mine. But then again, I've never been a big MJ fan. Don't hate him, just not a favorite of mine....
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#18 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:35 AM

In honor of the reopening of Captain EO, I present this little gem I found on the internet.

Captain Eeyore

#19 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

Oh there was a huge turn out for it believe it or not. The DL group I hang with now was actually there at Midnight. Lot of people dressed in the original merchandise and a few dressed in their own EO costumes. One thing a lot of people fail to realize is that it also opened on a weekday. For DL, the weekends is when the parks are busy. It's not like WDW where it's a constant nonstop flow of people (And today, rain).

The plan apparently is to keep it in DL until the end of Jan 2011. Which is great because I'll be able to see it again. I have a copy of it in 3-D but it's not the greatest and it's not the same as being there. But I'm also an EO fan so this is great for me. I really do hope they bring it back to EPCOT. Even if it's for a week, I'd still be happy.

EDIT: That video was about ten different levels of amazing.

#20 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

I can't say too much at the moment. But, expect a certain Center to see the Captain landing soon.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users