• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Driving for Cheaper Airfare

#1 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:47 AM

All right, I am in the very beginning stages of planning a trip to the World, and this time I'm thinking it might make sense to fly down. I would be squeezing this trip in a fairly tight window, and it just doesn't make sense to spend 4 days in the car.

I did a quick check on Priceline and it's roughly 400 dollars ( :) ) to fly out of Des Moines, which is an hour away. This would connect me in Milwaukee and Atlanta. On the other hand, it is 150 dollars to fly non-stop out of Kansas City, which is 4 hours way. I am fairly new to this flying thing, but saving $250 x 2 people seems worth the 4 hour drive. What do you think?

#2 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

I would look at the total number of hours saved (drive time and flight times) and how many hours you would gain at WDW for each. Personally, I'm a huge fan of non-stop flights. Each layover increases the chances of delays & cancellations.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

You have to figure out how much your time is worth to you. If you are going to spend 4 hours (or close to it) in layovers, you may as well drive to KC and fly direct. 4 hours is lengthy, but if you are saving $250 per person, then that may be worth it there.

#4 User is offline   jbwolffiv 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography and hockey

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

As someone who drives to FL from NJ each year (sometimes multiple times) I would vote for the trip through KC. I agree, layovers only cause stress unless everything is on time, and when does that happen?
John

#5 User is offline   kathyj0 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography, Disney, Travel, Scuba

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

Just remember to factor in your other costs - gas to KC, long/short term parking, etc.

Living in a regional airport zone, with limited flights, we frequently look to the larger city airports for flight options. Both Seattle, WA and Portland, OR are 210 miles away. With 2 or more of us flying, it often makes sense to drive to the city - even with long term parking costs factored in. Another benefit of the bigger airport is non-stop flights!
Kathy

#6 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

If you factor in layovers & cost savings, it sounds like the 4 hour to KC is the way to go. I used todo a LOT of business travel and there is also the intangible factor of what I call "Airport stress". With multiple layovers you may need to go through airport security multiple times, may need to walk/run what seems like miles through an airport to get from Gate to Gate, there is an added risk of delays or missed flights if one flight is delayed as well as misplaced luggage. With a non-stop, once you're in the air from KC, you can relax and know when you land you're in Orlando & WDW!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#7 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:53 AM

Thank you for the replies. They've reinforced the hunch I already had. Going to KC for the non-stop (and much cheaper) flight seems to make the most sense, especially because I'm so new to flying and will be traveling with my sister who has Down Syndrome and wouldn't handle running to catch flights very well. I want to make flying as easy as possible.

#8 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

Also keep in mind airlines (much like WDW) are very accomodating to guests with challenges. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance if you need it!!!!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#9 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

Yes, I'm well aware (and very thankful for) their assistance. :)

#10 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

I'd travel to KC and fly direct. You can use the money you save for other things.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users