Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dick Cook "resigns" as Disney Studio chair

#1 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:56 PM

Funny, this happens right after D23. FYI, when someone "resigns" in Hollywood, it means they got fired. Its professional courtesy to spin it this way. Read the whole thing in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/19/business...disney.html?hpw

The chairman of Walt Disney Studios, Dick Cook, resigned late Friday following struggles with profitability, creative focus and a shifting relationship with other Disney units.

Mr. Cook, who started at the Walt Disney Company 38 years ago as a theme park monorail driver, said in a statement that he had been contemplating a move for some time. Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, praised his leadership, saying in a statement that his “incomparable showmanship” had “truly enriched this company.”

But pressure had been mounting on Mr. Iger to make a change at the studio. A profitable period — led by the “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “National Treasure” franchises — has been followed by a fallow one. Movies like “Confessions of a Shopaholic,” “Bedtime Stories” and “G-Force” have all disappointed at the box office or suffered from bloated budgets.

In the most recent quarter, the studio lost $12 million — despite the success of “Up” from Pixar, and the hit comedy “The Proposal” — in contrast to a profit of $97 million in the same period a year earlier. The loss was attributed to tumbling DVD sales tied to the underperforming pictures. ...

#2 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:49 AM

View Postsurfpark, on Sep 19 2009, 12:56 AM, said:

FYI, when someone "resigns" in Hollywood, it means they got fired.

That's not Hollywood, that's the entire business world. Happens at my company all the time for the upper levels.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

Yea, he was SO fired. Someone's head has to roll and I guess it was his turn

#4 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

And you figure with 38 years at Disney, I'm willing to bet he's getting some sort of sweet deal to leave... buy out package, stock options, benefits, kept on the books as a "consultant", etc. Companies do that sort of thing all the time, too.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users