Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hoop Dee Doo

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

What are all of your thoughts on Hoop Dee Doo?

I ate there for the first time this week and had a good time. I was even picked to "volunteer". I wont ruin the show for others who have not seen it, but if you have seen it, I was picked to be the Indian Brave in the Davy Crockett scene :wacko: Embarrassing can't begin to describe that experience.

#2 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

I have two experiences to draw on... one as a 16 year old... and another as a father of a two year old.

Both GREAT memories!

As the 16 year old I was one of those serenaded in the audience by one of the gals... to the chagrin of "her man". If you've seen the show you'll know who/what I mean. As you said, embarrassing doesn't do the feeling justice. We sat relatively close to the stage at one of the floor tables, and we felt in the show the whole time.

As the father of the spawn, we got a balcony table right by the spotlight operator. She was fantastic by herself, actually... very personable and fun to talk with during show breaks! My daughter, Grapes (her board name), had a BLAST watching from her high vantage point... and we never had to fear she'd get up and run onto the stage (she's a bit of a ham... where does she get THAT from?!?!)

The food was comparable to any other ribs/chicken/potato combination on property, to me. We took Disney Transportation from the Boardwalk Villas, and found it fairly easy to walk to Pioneer Hall from the bus stop, once I got oriented. The only tough part was the time required between check-in/photos and the time they open the door... difficult to entertain a young kid, but there is a double playground set to the right of Pioneer Hall (if you're facing the front door)

I found it worth the price if paid out of pocket. I think it actually may be one of the VERY few things I'd consider spending 2 meal credits if on the basic Disney Dining Plan. If you're on the Deluxe Dining Plan, it's a no-brainer... go for it!

Both times I attended the show we went to the early one; not sure if the crowd gets more raucous for the late show. After the show was even easier to find the buses back... and actually our driver asked us where we were staying (we waited out the initial rush to the exit by the masses, so caught the second round of buses)... we essentially had a taxi, as there were only 2 other families, and they happened to stay at the Swan.

All in all, TWO THUMBS UP, Ebert!

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:03 AM

I found the food to be terrible. All they have is fried chicken and pork ribs. I don't eat pork and the fried chicken is nothing to write home about. They had some nice side dishes though.

That being said, the entertainment is quite good and worth seeing. I had a good time there and the 9:30 show usually has discounts available for DDE or AP.

#4 User is offline   gsonoda 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:I am a fan of hilarity.

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

QuickGold said:

I had a good time there and the 9:30 show usually has discounts available for DDE or AP.

Disney Dining Experience? Sorry friend, its now Tables in Wonderland. :joker:
Glenn

The reigning Star Wars Trivia Champion - 2008 and 2009

"Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic."

#5 User is offline   elchippo 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

I've gone three times-as a 12 year old, 14 years old, and 25 year old....

I love it. The meal there is one of my favorites I've ever eaten (My preferred tastes are very comfort food, all-american). The salad, corn bread and strawberry shortcake are major highpoints. I think if you only get to the parks every few years, then its good to go about every other trip (ie maybe once every five years). They did have corn on the cob but switched to mashed potatoes due to a corn shortage or something (hard to fathom coming from Central Illinois).

If you reserve the upper level for the latest show of the night.....sometimes they will move you down to the lower level if attendance is low...

Also, this show is NOT for shy people. If you dont like to be picked on or pulled out of a crowd by entertainers, this is not a show for you! But we all love it! Last time I was there my GF was the cancan dancer and on one trip "Dolly" flirted with my dad the entire night.

I have a question: I've never been to Trails End, and would like to go on my next trip. Do they serve the same food as Hoop De Doo?

#6 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

YoPaulie said:

The food was comparable to any other ribs/chicken/potato combination on property, to me.

QuickGold said:

I found the food to be terrible. All they have is fried chicken and pork ribs. I don't eat pork and the fried chicken is nothing to write home about. They had some nice side dishes though.

LOL... I guess we know where you stand on the other similar meals... like Whispering Canyon Café's All-you-can-eat option... Mickey's Backyard BBQ, etc.

:smoke:

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#7 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:02 AM

QuickGold said:

And yet you had your rehearsal dinner at Trail's End? What did you eat--the cobbler?

#8 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:06 AM

During my last trip I had reservations at Tails End. Well as we are walking to trails end the manager of both resturaunts comes up to us and asks us to come eat at Hoop Dee Doo instead. He had asked several families before us who all said no!!!

Well, me being the aficianado that I am realized not only was this a great opportunity... but it was potentially a great deal. So I said we would love to but we were on the dining plan... so he gave us Hoop Dee Doo for the price of Trails end! He charged us one adult and one childs ticket for a party of four!!!

We ended up getting the best seat in the house (IMO) the round table center stage a few rows back. The only round table before the rectangles up front.

Anyway, so we sit down and the manager continually checks up on us and we get special attention all night long! I was also picked to play the indian brave... I wont ruin it either but we can post our pics Matt and next time I see you we can compare stories!

I absolutely loved it. The food was nothign to write home about, but it wasn't horrible either. The chicken wasnt bad, it was standard fare... a little better than say KFC fried chicken but not by much. The cornbread was good IMO, and so was the mashed taters. I also loved the shortcake.

In the end the show is well wortht he price of admission I think. I enjoyed every part of it. The humor is both funny and suprisingly appropriate forthe entire family. Disney hit gold with this number, which is why it probably hasnt been changed much since it opened.

I would do it again... but I am cheap so it probably wouldn't be anytime soon... not like I go that often anyway.

If I didnt have to use my dining credits we would have sworn it was a YoaMD prize we were treated soo well. At the end the manager came to our table as the show ended and thanked us for coming and made sure we enjoyed everything. He asked to see my picture and talked about how I had been chosen (which I am sure he had arranged for us considering all he had done.).

In the end I suppose that a family didnt show up and considering the prime real estate we ewre doing him a favor... Do Disney a favor and they repay you a hundred fold... thats my kind of business!!!

Bottom Line. Every one should do this at least once.

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

elchippo said:

I have a question: I've never been to Trails End, and would like to go on my next trip. Do they serve the same food as Hoop De Doo?
Trails End has the fried chicken, but not the ribs. The rest of the Hoop Dee Doo food is available at Trails End plus much more. I love the chili at Trails End.

#10 User is offline   TiggerRay 

• Studios God

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

We love Hoop Dee Doo...it's a must stop for us on every trip. The food is decent and the entertainment is top notch.
Disneyland - a people trap run by a mouse.

#11 User is offline   Rodders 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Rugby League, Music, Disney and Booze

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

I didn't like the food at all but I still loved the whole event. I found the cornbread to be too sweet, I hate ribs and BBQ sauce, the chicken was average, I don't like cake and the worst thing to have with cake is Strawberry :lol: I did enjoy the salad, the taters and the beans though :mrgreen:
Having said that, the show and atmosphere are so good that we would definitely go again. Well worth it :D
Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic

#12 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:01 PM

I've been there twice and I certainly didn't go for the food. We're not really into what they serve and that includes the strawberry shortcake. But the entertainment is very good and we have a fun night.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#13 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

Rodders me and you have the most opposite taste out there I think.. You don't like steak or strawberry shortcake... or cake!

Man...

Well, we both liked the show so that counts for something!!!

#14 User is offline   Rodders 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Rugby League, Music, Disney and Booze

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:13 AM

It's funny how people's tastes differ so much :lol:
Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic

#15 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:22 AM

Or that WDW can cater to all of us... even those with severe food allergies!

#16 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

queenofthehouse said:

I've been there twice and I certainly didn't go for the food. We're not really into what they serve and that includes the strawberry shortcake. But the entertainment is very good and we have a fun night.
Same here Maureen. I would like to go back again but certainly wont go for the food.

#17 User is offline   Jack&Sally 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

We were there two years ago with two kids, age 11 and 3. The kids enjoyed the food, mostly because it was "normal" food. In their book, you can't go wrong with fried chicken, beaans, and corn. The entertainment is akin to the "Horseshoe Review" back in the day. But everyone had a toe-tappin', foot stompin' good time, so we're headed back for our short family trip in December. If you are looking for non-character family dining, I definately rate it over the Poly Luau. The cost is a bit high, but worth doing every few years, in my opinion.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users