• You cannot reply to this topic

Why does Disney want to sell Miramax?

#1 User is offline   Studio Kid 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Visiting the Studios

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

I don't understand. With such great movies as Pulp Fiction (7 Oscar Nominations), City of God (4 Oscar Nominations and Very Well recieved), Shakespeare In Love (12 Oscar Nominations), Good Will Hunting (9 Oscar Nominations), and Chicago (13 Oscar Nominations). Disney would make millions in DVD releases (and re-releases).

So can someone explain why do they want to do this?

#2 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:45 PM

View PostStudio Kid, on Jun 28 2010, 10:21 PM, said:

I don't understand. With such great movies as Pulp Fiction (7 Oscar Nominations), City of God (4 Oscar Nominations and Very Well recieved), Shakespeare In Love (12 Oscar Nominations), Good Will Hunting (9 Oscar Nominations), and Chicago (13 Oscar Nominations). Disney would make millions in DVD releases (and re-releases).

So can someone explain why do they want to do this?

A. It hasn't made a hit in a couple of years. B. With Hollywood and Touchstone under it's belt they have plenty of outlets for other kinds of movies C. Bob Iger is weird and thinks Marvel is more Disney then Miramax

#3 User is offline   Studio Kid 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Visiting the Studios

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:51 AM

I understand it hasn't made a hit but those movies and the 100's of others will make a killing in Re-releases. Sure they have Hollywood and Touchstone but none of them are as great as Miramax. Miramax was an independent film studio that didn't have the Hollywood attachments with it.

And about your Bob Iger comment: lol I definately see that.

#4 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

View PostStudio Kid, on Jun 29 2010, 07:51 AM, said:

I understand it hasn't made a hit but those movies and the 100's of others will make a killing in Re-releases. Sure they have Hollywood and Touchstone but none of them are as great as Miramax. Miramax was an independent film studio that didn't have the Hollywood attachments with it.

And about your Bob Iger comment: lol I definately see that.

Iger has seriously cut funding for the things he considers non-Disney. Miramax is only releasing 3 films this year. The lowest it has ever been since Disney acquired it in 93. One of the companies has to go, and Hollywood seems to be able to lay dormant for years at a time and then release movie, and of course Touchstone is still consistently making films, and has the distrubution rights to Dreamworks films for a couple of years. So if any get the axe Miramax will probably be it. And im sure Disney will find a loophole in the contract they make to still rerealese old Miramax film made in there time ti have a bunch more money off them

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Iger is also about anything that makes money right now. I give credit to him for making the Pixar deal happen, but since then I have not been a fan of how he runs the company.

#6 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

I have to agree. It does seem like a big "money grab" right now. I know Fantasyland and Star Tours 2.0 are big projects, but to me there's not enough of a capital investment going into the Orlando theme parks. People are coming, the parks are still crowded. It may not be like it used to back in 2005 - 2008, but the "World" is still doing pretty well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users