Studios Central: Trip Report: Star Wars Weekend & Final Thought - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trip Report: Star Wars Weekend & Final Thought

#1 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:15 PM

I have a confession to make. I, CoH#1Fan, am a certified bona-fide, complete liar. I told people I probably will not go to Star Wars Weekend for my final day of vacation. I lied. I went to Disney's Hollywood Studios for Star Wars Weekend, and, bratty kids and angry parents aside, I did not regret it one bit.

The day started when I got off the bus and saw a very long line for autograph FastPasses. Since it looked like a line to be stood in, I just jumped in the end, and decided to see where it took me. Apparently, it took me to David Prowse, the actor behind Darth Vader from the Original Star Wars Trilogy. This similar situation happened to me before where I stood in a line that I did not know where it went to, and wound up getting a popular Star Wars actor's autograph, and just like the last time, this too was a standby FastPass.

After getting my FastPass, I got in an hour ahead of everyone since I was at a Resort. I had plenty of time before meeting Jake again, so I rode Star Tours again and began my mission to get photos of Star Wars characters like I wasn't expecting to. I started with Chewbacca who was a warm-ticket item, Princess Leia and R2-D2, who just arrived shortly after Chewie (R2 followed me after I left, something about him suggesting I might be from the Dark Side since I had Stormtroopers on my T-shirt and had his calls as my email notification sound), Darth Vader, and then I caught up to Blixzit who was waiting for me outside the Tune-In Lounge that wasn't open yet.

Blixzit and I hung around Hollywood Boulevard, then moved to Sunset Boulevard because the High School Musical passing float got on our nerves (mostly mine). We had gotten some fudge, and sat on a bench to watch OFC William Club doing his police-like duties. A pair of girls swiped Officer Club's traffic cones and hid them, but he knew what they were up to anyway, and wrote them a pretend ticket. I, too, decided to get in on the game by knocking my empty soda bottle off the bench not once, but twice. I, too, got written up. Not even my deftly clever referral to my "lawyer" could save me, for Officer Club doesn't deal with lawyers. I love the inscription on the back of the ticket:

"In an age of fads, copy cats, and rapidly changing
trends, your have chosen to stand-out- from the rest
and be an individual. We applaud your courage and
self expression. Thanks for being a part of our show
today. Don't ever change. The world needs more
people with your spirit."

No truer words were ever said.

We saw people lining up for the Star Wars Motorcade, where Blixzit got some good shots of all the marchers, and then we split up to pursue our own enjoyments. He, with his FastPass to Toy Story Midway Mania, me to find more Star Wars Characters, do some shopping at Wicket's Warehouse and get my autograph of David Prowse. That's when it rained four times. Luckily for us, they moved the autographing session to the Sounds Dangerous exit room. Even more lucky that I managed to get Mr. Prowse's autograph. For a minute, I didn't think I'd have a chance with a standby. Fortunately, I got no arguments from the Cast Members. Just emotional leakage from angry parents disciplining unruly children. Sometimes, I just hate families.

The last few characters I got were Captain Rex, Ashoka Tano (a true hottie if there ever was one) and Minnie Mouse as Leia, but not before Stormtrooper Donald stopped to get our picture taken just because he liked my shirt from last year. Now that's Disney Magic right there. However, in the process, I misplaced my Photopass card, and had to go all the way to the photo center to retrieve my pictures and scan them to a new card. Disney's photo technology is great.

Finally, I made my way to the Star Wars main stage where I sat through the Jedi Training Academy (it was for kids, I wasn't that interested), and got a good up-front view of the Hyperspace Hoopla. I pretty much wasted my voice trying to get The Modal Nodes to play "Stairway to Heaven", shouting for dance group #2 to win the Star Wars Stars Dance Contest (it was the all the girls of Star Wars) then ignored me when I called a rigged vote when Vader won, but when Chewie uttered his defeat before Snig & Oopla, I practically translated for them, "I think he wants to dance." And Oopla responded accordingly. They got everybody out dancing until the Stormtroopers took over, cleared the stage, and left the one Stormtrooper dancing. 'Twas a perfect ending to a perfect day, and to a semi-perfect vacation.

As I sit in the lobby of the Pop Century resort awaiting my cab back to the Kissimmee train station, I hereby put on my Jerry Springer hat and deliver my final thought:

What I liked about my vacation here at Disney was finally getting to meet Blixzit, even if it was for a brief two days instead of the requisite four (I wasn't sure what I wanted to do during my fifth day, remember), also meeting Francis Floot once again in person as opposed to "tele-gramophone messages", and finding helpful cast members who were able to take care of any situation I needed when I thought they were going to be a pain. The pain only happened once, but I took care of that right away.

What I didn't like were the prices of mostly everything and the random weather patterns. It rained a total of ten times while in the parks, and each time, it thwarted some plans (never got to see Spectromagic), but made up with other, more convenient plans (moving the SWW Autograph Session indoors).

And of course, the thing I loathed entirely was the dysfunctional families who had no place being where I was. Children who were too wild and ill-behaved... angry parents who were too impatient, yelling at their little monsters... I mean, come on, this is supposed to be the Happiest Place on Earth. There is no place for ugly here. Sometimes, I just don't know who's worse; families or people in general. I know it's a family park, but when I'm there, families just shouldn't be.

My only regrets were not being able to catch Spectromagic (like I haven't seen it a dozen or so times when I'm down there), and not being able to eat an entire Kitchen Sink by myself. It's not that I couldn't finish a Kitchen Sink, but rather I never got to make it to Beaches & Cream to actually do it.

I've often made several mentions that this would be my last vacation to Disney citing my mathematical property of independent living where (Living Expenses > Disposable Income), but gosh-darn it, Disney just keeps giving me a reason to come back every single time. First it's Tinker Bell getting me to wear some of her pins, and Star Wars Weekend is always a draw, not to mention there's more opportunities for more episodes of my Citizens of Hollywood filming (I wouldn't be surprised if Paige Turner's avatar added me to Facebook). We shall see if the Money Fairy pays me a visit and drops a big sack of money on my doorstep, then maybe I might return, but with my sister at her condo. There's no way I can afford a Disney resort. And maybe they'll extend the Celebrate You promotion where you get into the parks free on your birthday. They'll do anything to get your money.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#2 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

Interesting take Peter. I'm glad you decided to go back at some point in the future. There's no sense boycotting something you enjoy so much. Thanks for sharing it with us.

#3 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:07 AM

View PostADP, on Jun 8 2009, 11:05 PM, said:

Interesting take Peter. I'm glad you decided to go back at some point in the future. There's no sense boycotting something you enjoy so much. Thanks for sharing it with us.

It's not really a matter of boycotting something I enjoy as it is a matter of finding the funds to finance such a trip. Sure, I could save money by staying with my sister at her condo and traveling by roads, but that's only half the cost-cutting puzzle. There's still the matter of eating, shopping, and time management. You have to realize, my sister can only vacation two months out of the year, and those are the months when school is out when Disney is the most busy.

Again, time and money will tell.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#4 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:05 AM

View PostCOH#1fan, on Jun 9 2009, 07:07 AM, said:

It's not really a matter of boycotting something I enjoy as it is a matter of finding the funds to finance such a trip. Sure, I could save money by staying with my sister at her condo and traveling by roads, but that's only half the cost-cutting puzzle. There's still the matter of eating, shopping, and time management. You have to realize, my sister can only vacation two months out of the year, and those are the months when school is out when Disney is the most busy.

Again, time and money will tell.

There are quite a few ways to keep costs down. Even thought my friends and I stay at OKW, we use these to make the vacation less expensive. The easiest is to curtail souvenir purchases to a bare minimums. Another is to eat/cook a substantial breakfast in the room before heading out to the parks so you're not hungry at 10am. PM me if you want easy breakfast ideas. Take some snacks with you (those packages of cheese & crackers or PB & crackers are great also cookies w/o chocolate - so you don't have a melting issuet). Take a water bottle with a PUR filter because WDW water fountain water is awful. When we're vacationing we eat breakfast in the room and only eat one big meal each day with the other being a light snakc. That keeps expenses waaaay down. I'm sure there are other ways you can think of but it's pretty easy and amazing how much you can save with a bit of ingenuity!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#5 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

I'm glad you realize that you could be back at Disney. Our lives are constantly changing and we never know what tomorrow will bring (sorry, sound corny).

For a huge Disney Fan, you are so funny when it comes to families. I'm from a family of 12 people, so usually I don't get bothered by the yelling or screaming. I love to watch the kids; their excited makes me smile. Typically it's the parents that are out of control - know your child: you can't usually run them all day without them getting tired and cranky. So who's fault is that, not the kid.

One of the things you may want to do, to get back to Disney is find someone to go with. Sharing the cost of the resort is a big help.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users