• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why does Disney make me sad?

#1 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Disney as much as anyone on this message board. I like their movies, I like their characters, I like their theme parks, I may not be so crazy about their corporate politics, policies, and questionable business decisions but I don't have any control over that aspect.

So why does Disney make me so sad?

Before my first trip in 1989, I was under the impression that nobody in my family would ever go to Walt Disney World for the sole reason that it was in Florida and we lived in Brooklyn, which is nowhere near Florida. When I was proved wrong, and the magic of Disney infested my soul, I knew I would return. So far, I've made solo trips, sister trips, family trips, road trips, and eventually my sister bought property down there so we wouldn't have to worry about hotel costs. For me, it was good times. Of course, my sister and I were the only Disney fans we knew of living in New York City. The only other place I would find like-minded individuals was, you guessed it, the Internet.

The Disney Company and the Disney fans had quite a following on the World Wide Web. From Disney's short-lived VMK to communities like The DIS and other forums, everyone who was anyone had a place to share their love of Disney with each other. At first I was hesitant to join such communities out of fear that my non-conformist attitudes among other personal eccentricities would not mesh well with the views and opinions of other Disney fans, but I took a chance without being convinced positively. That was my first mistake. Eventually, my interactions with others evolved from "mildly eccentric" to "a bit oddball-ish" to "downright retarded", and no apology I could deliver would ever have me forgiven.

The last two straws came when I posted a Mickey Mouse/Pac-Man cross over comic on Facebook, and somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody within Disney spotted my artwork and was ready to email me saying, "Heyyyyy, you can't be doing that!", and then I made a comment about a YouTube video somebody posted in a chatroom which got me negative feedback and a mod reprimand. Yeah, that's when I decided enough was enough, and I cut myself off from anybody who was linked to Disney in any way, be they cast member, guest, insider, or otherwise.

Not a night goes by when I don't ask myself, "I wonder what my favorite Citizens of Hollywood are doing right now?" or, "I wonder if the Princesses are thinking about me?" Having Disney in your life is not supposed to make you sad. It's supposed to make you happy. That's what my mom says. I'd like to know how to make that happen.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#2 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

The problem isn't Disney fans, it's the internet. If you post anything someone will disagree with it.

Everyone has there own unique versions of there love for Disney because it's just so darn big. Even with the unified love of specifically Disney's Hollywood Studios that we share on this site, there is still things everyone will disagree with each other on. Just don't let the other people get to you. You love Disney for what you think is the best, you post those crossover pics (I am going to google that Mickey Pac Man one now), and with comments on other peoples stuff, just keep in mind that that is there version of Disney just like you have yours.

#3 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

View Postdarthstich, on 27 June 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

The problem isn't Disney fans, it's the internet. If you post anything someone will disagree with it.

Everyone has there own unique versions of there love for Disney because it's just so darn big. Even with the unified love of specifically Disney's Hollywood Studios that we share on this site, there is still things everyone will disagree with each other on. Just don't let the other people get to you. You love Disney for what you think is the best, you post those crossover pics (I am going to google that Mickey Pac Man one now), and with comments on other peoples stuff, just keep in mind that that is there version of Disney just like you have yours.

Don't bother googling for the Mickey-Pacman comic. I've already deleted it off of Facebook as well as my profile. Then again, when you think you've deleted something from the Internet, it's not necessarily 100% gone. I could email it to you if you like.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#4 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

I've decided to bump this thread for an update on my "love/hate" relationship with Disney. But first...

I've been reading some of my past posts on this board, and looking back at them I can't help but think, "Good gravy, did I bring drama upon myself or what?" I mean, I know I have a unique writing style, but I had no idea I exaggerated things that much.

Therefore, I've decided to rant... I mean, ASK the opinion and advice of someone who is, was, or knows somebody who is or was a cast member regarding the response I received from Disney. If such person exists on this forum, please send a private message. Thanks. :)

#5 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

No matter what you do or say (be it within the Disney lovers community or life in general), someone will always disagree, have a different opinion or try to throw rain on your parade. You've just gotta be a bit thick skinned and have the confidence to not let peer pressure influence you. When you said, "somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody within Disney" makes me wonder if it was just someone trying to get you annoyed or dampen you enthusiasm. Even if it WAS a cast member, unless it came officially & directly from Disney's legal department, I would consider it about as credible as the rumors we hear every day from cast members "in the know" about changes to the parks that end up never occurring.....
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#6 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Peter, I don't know what to say. Why do you do this to yourself? Everyone has an opinion that is important to them. Your thought and feelings are just as important as anyone elses. I hate it, you love it - no big deal. Don't get all worked up and feel that it's a big deal or that people are against you, or whatever. The problem with putting things out there is that everyone has an opinion. I can see how it would hurt though when you work on something like your comics and may get negative feedback. But it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks, only what you think. You don't need to change. Continue to say and do what you wish but remember it is not important what others think.

Again, I don't really know what to say and I know I'm not saying what's on my mind very well. We all have something in common here. We are all Disney fans, but we don't all agree with the same "likes" about Disney. I can share what I like or dislike with you and this community, but it is unimportant to me if you agree or disagree with my "likes" or my favorites. I do not need to badger people for walking passed the COH while hurrying to ToT or Rock n Rollercoaster. I do my best to let people how much the COH are and what they could look forward to, but being angry and annoyed is going to far. I like to focus on the positive and not the negative. Anyway, I have said more then I want to. Stay positive. Go to Disney. Enjoy the Princess. Enjoy the COH.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#7 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

Maureen,

Actually, I've held off on my CoH phase for a while since there hasn't been any news coming my way. Even the original comic that I started with original CoH characters kinda drifted off into a halt as I am pressured to focus on my main goal which is to get a job, keep a job, and maintain wellness. That's three goals, isn't it?

And that's the real problem here. I enjoy Disney as much as the next fan, there's no denying that, but because of my current situation I am unable to make the trip. No money + no job + no hope = no Disney for me. And believe me, there IS no Disney Magic in NYC. Trust me on this one. I've looked. Nothing. Even if there was, it would probably cost me both arms, a leg, and the lower two-thirds of my spleen, just like the real Disney.

Yeah, I'm still bringing drama unto myself, and I'm sorry for that. Unemployment is just getting to me, so it's hard to focus on the positive right now. I'd go into further detail, but that would only bring more drama and I'm sure nobody wants to hear about my unfortunate family life.

#8 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostCOH#1fan, on 15 March 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Maureen,

Actually, I've held off on my CoH phase for a while since there hasn't been any news coming my way. Even the original comic that I started with original CoH characters kinda drifted off into a halt as I am pressured to focus on my main goal which is to get a job, keep a job, and maintain wellness. That's three goals, isn't it?

And that's the real problem here. I enjoy Disney as much as the next fan, there's no denying that, but because of my current situation I am unable to make the trip. No money + no job + no hope = no Disney for me. And believe me, there IS no Disney Magic in NYC. Trust me on this one. I've looked. Nothing. Even if there was, it would probably cost me both arms, a leg, and the lower two-thirds of my spleen, just like the real Disney.

Yeah, I'm still bringing drama unto myself, and I'm sorry for that. Unemployment is just getting to me, so it's hard to focus on the positive right now. I'd go into further detail, but that would only bring more drama and I'm sure nobody wants to hear about my unfortunate family life.

Peter, I'm sorry to hear about your job situation. I had hoped by now that things would have turned around for you. Stick with your first 2 goals of looking for a job and maintaining wellness and hopefully your 3rd goal will come to light. I understand completely, my husband has been out of work for a really long time and it's been difficult. A number of personal and family issues have, emotionally, brought me very low. I refuse to stay down and try to think of what I can do make things better. Anyway, remember that you are not alone.

I know you haven't been to Disney lately and there have been changes. I purposely have not let you know because I know how upset you get. And what's the point, there is nothing we can do. People move on. Sometimes it's because of another opportunity for the actor and other times Disney has not renewed their contract. When Lowell and I started watching the Street Performers, there are only 2 people still on the street of Hollywood and that's Alberto Dante and Jack Diamond. Each year we miss our favorites but discovered new faces who we have grown to love. And don't even get me started on the Adventurers Club!!! Anyway, what we do now is look for "Hidden COH" (like hidden mickeys). We listen for voices at Turtle Talk and Monsters Inc. We look for some of our favorites at Finding Nemo, Flights of Wonder, Ziti Sisters, Showcase Players, Hoop Dee Doo, Pirates Training, the Haunted Mansion (during Halloween) and more. Now we have Fantasyland to look forward to, finding more old friends. We enjoy finding our "Hidden COH" (or AC) performers and we think they enjoy that they've been found. Being a performer must be so much fun, but must be very hard too. I would be so stressed out wondering year to year if my contract would be renewed.

No matter how difficult things may be, try and find things that can bring you some happiness. You may need to stop in and see Winifred and Didi more often. I have not been there. The timing has not worked for me yet.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#9 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

View Postqueenofthehouse, on 17 March 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

Peter, I'm sorry to hear about your job situation. I had hoped by now that things would have turned around for you. Stick with your first 2 goals of looking for a job and maintaining wellness and hopefully your 3rd goal will come to light. I understand completely, my husband has been out of work for a really long time and it's been difficult. A number of personal and family issues have, emotionally, brought me very low. I refuse to stay down and try to think of what I can do make things better. Anyway, remember that you are not alone.

I know you haven't been to Disney lately and there have been changes. I purposely have not let you know because I know how upset you get. And what's the point, there is nothing we can do. People move on. Sometimes it's because of another opportunity for the actor and other times Disney has not renewed their contract. When Lowell and I started watching the Street Performers, there are only 2 people still on the street of Hollywood and that's Alberto Dante and Jack Diamond. Each year we miss our favorites but discovered new faces who we have grown to love. And don't even get me started on the Adventurers Club!!! Anyway, what we do now is look for "Hidden COH" (like hidden mickeys). We listen for voices at Turtle Talk and Monsters Inc. We look for some of our favorites at Finding Nemo, Flights of Wonder, Ziti Sisters, Showcase Players, Hoop Dee Doo, Pirates Training, the Haunted Mansion (during Halloween) and more. Now we have Fantasyland to look forward to, finding more old friends. We enjoy finding our "Hidden COH" (or AC) performers and we think they enjoy that they've been found. Being a performer must be so much fun, but must be very hard too. I would be so stressed out wondering year to year if my contract would be renewed.

No matter how difficult things may be, try and find things that can bring you some happiness. You may need to stop in and see Winifred and Didi more often. I have not been there. The timing has not worked for me yet.

It's funny you should mention Winifred and Didi. I just saw their show last night, and they were cracking on each other so much neither one of them could keep a straight face.
In fact, I've been going to their shows since they arrived in NYC five months ago, usually with an "entourage". I have a specially located seat right up front, they acknowledge me in every show, and it makes me happy. I'm like the younger, more polite version of Statler and Waldorf from the Muppets, except I'm only one person.

As for the "changing of the CoH" and how I feel about it, during my period of unemployment when I'm not working temp assignments, I go to this community center in Brooklyn where I take certain wellness groups to learn coping skills so I can avoid being frustrated or annoyed or miserably alone. One of those groups is about dealing with change. It's usually a lecture with some consumer discussion like any other self-help group, and I take notes like in college. Haven't looked back at them yet, but I should because there are days when I "get it", and days when I "forget it". What it all comes down to is change is a part of life, and we can't control how change affects us, but we can control ourselves and learn to adapt to the change, like getting upset over the annual recasting of the Citizens of Hollywood. I think with this time away from Disney, I realize that there are more to the parks than just street actors and characters and rides and other attractions. It's about escaping normal, everyday life and enjoying yourself. If you can't enjoy yourself with what you like, you're just going to be miserable all your life. And focusing on one aspect without embracing the "big picture" isn't healthy.

One of those moments when I "got it" came when, in a weekly Disney chat elsewhere on the Internet, folks were PMing amongst themselves about my behavior and wondering if I was retarded or had some form of autism. Don't ask me how I heard from them, it's too dramatic. Even more dramatic than my past posts here. Well, without the sufficient neurological technology to determine if I do have some form of autism like Aspberger's or whatever (I've been told that I have the symptoms but no conclusive evidence has been found), I'll just have to take things one day at a time, as we all do at some point. And maybe someday someone will hire me for a job, and I will keep it, and I will be thankful that I can go back to having a stable income.

Think that's positive enough? :)

#10 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Dewey posted a photo of you at his show and under the photo "One of our most devoted Screwballs, Peter Fay, after our performance last night."
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#11 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Is that on his Facebook page or on the ScrewYouEntertainment website, and is it the one where I'm solemnly sipping on a soda in front of the sign?

#12 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostCOH#1fan, on 18 March 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

Is that on his Facebook page or on the ScrewYouEntertainment website, and is it the one where I'm solemnly sipping on a soda in front of the sign?

Yes, that's the photo. It's nice to see that you are able to make the show.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#13 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Whether I'm by myself or with an entourage, you can always guarantee that I'll be able to make Dewey's shows.

The actress who provided the character of Honey Darling, on the other hand, is a different story, but I do know she too is in New York and knows me... just not very well. :(

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users