Studios Central: Disney Store Offers in park Merchandise - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disney Store Offers in park Merchandise

#1 Guest_Guest_mickeymaz_*_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

I saw this link in the email this morning.
http://www.disneystore.com/disney-parks/c/...p;RRID=11456658

You can now gets your Ears, and more online. Check it out!

#2 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

OOOOO, this is awsome.
There are so many small businesses that make in-park merchandise available.
I think its really smart of Disney to start doing it themselves.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

I'm not a fan of this move. It just diminishes the value of actually going to the parks. I know there are plenty of guests who enjoy going to WDW to pick up certain merchandise only available in the parks but now you can go to your local mall.

This is just another move, like now that merchandise at DL and WDW is the same, to cheapen the experience.

#4 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

View PostQuickGold, on May 13 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

I'm not a fan of this move. It just diminishes the value of actually going to the parks. I know there are plenty of guests who enjoy going to WDW to pick up certain merchandise only available in the parks but now you can go to your local mall.

This is just another move, like now that merchandise at DL and WDW is the same, to cheapen the experience.

This is the online shopping site, recently renamed Disney Store, not the Disney Store at a local mall.

I like it. I just wished they offered more items.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#5 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

Speaking of buying stuff online. Does anyone know of the website for Disney Hotel shopping? The one where you can buy items used in the rooms? I forgot to jot down the link when I stayed there last.
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#6 User is offline   rdeacon 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Umm guess...

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

This is nothing new, just a new format in which you can buy the merchandise. They had the mail order service that you could call and get the merchandise sent to you, after you left WDW. This is just an easier way to perform the same task. If you can't afford a trip to WDW this is a way to at least get a taste of the magic. This also should hopefully stop people from getting ripped off at sites like laughingplace.com, where they charge an exorbitant markup.

I would argue that this doesn't really diminish the park experience. What diminishes the park experience is the lack of unique merchandise in the parks. The homogenization of the merchandise is really sad. I used to spend a crazy amount of cash at the parks on t-shirts and other items. Now I have to hunt to find stuff. How about Disney comes up with nice unique park merchandise for the parks and then generic vanilla stuff they have now can be peddled on the website.

rdeacon
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

#7 User is offline   Hypermommy 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:33 PM

View PostQuickGold, on May 13 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

I understand what you're saying about the joy of being able to pick up some stuff only at the parks. But remember there's lots of us who can't pop over to the Studios for a quick lunch. I'm glad to see this stuff available and I hope they'll make more available.

But I also hope they'll go back to having some stuff... not a lot maybe (because I do understand the financials), but some stuff that's specific to each park.
Denise "Hypermommy" Duggan
Owner of Scouting with the Mouse

Come learn all the fun you can have meeting Scouting requirements with a pixie dusted flair.
Great ideas for homeschooling families too!

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

I understand what you're all saying. My point is that part of what made trips to WDW fun was the unique merchandise you could only get at WDW. It added to what made WDW such an unique place to vacation. Perhaps I'm just alone in my principles.... :D

#9 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

View PostQuickGold, on May 13 2009, 02:58 PM, said:

I understand what you're all saying. My point is that part of what made trips to WDW fun was the unique merchandise you could only get at WDW. It added to what made WDW such an unique place to vacation. Perhaps I'm just alone in my principles.... :D

Principles....insanity....whatever. ;)
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

#10 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

I don't see this as being much different from the mail order service that both Disneyland and WDW have offered for years. Personally I like the fact that you can get park merchandise via avenues other than the parks. It works really well when you live far enough away from the parks that you have to make a special and time consuming trip there.

#11 User is offline   Deltapatman 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

View PostIndyandMarion, on May 13 2009, 01:45 PM, said:

Speaking of buying stuff online. Does anyone know of the website for Disney Hotel shopping? The one where you can buy items used in the rooms? I forgot to jot down the link when I stayed there last.

http://www.disneyresortcollection.com/

#12 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

View PostQuickGold, on May 13 2009, 02:58 PM, said:

You're not alone. I totally agree with you. I don't understand why they are doing this. It seems to me that exclusive merchandise is something that will draw people to come to the parks. But than i agree i really don't understand why Disney does most things now a days

#13 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

Park exclusives, especially when related to events are two edged swords. On one hand, it does encourage people to come to the parks. On the other hand, there are some guests who can't make it when an event is held. In 2006, I missed SWW by 3 weeks, but my family could only go during the time we went.

I think for Disney, it simply costs less to have both Disneyland and WDW sell the same Mickey Mouse plush toy. I don't think that selling park merchandise online will be the cause of any major decrease in park attendance. There may be a few people here or there, but I still think that most people will go to the park for the attractions.

#14 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

Supposing I'm vacationing at Disney World, I would be much more inclined to purchase something I can only buy at the parks. Otherwise it doesn't seem like quite as much of a Disney World souvenir.

It doesn't lure me to the parks, but it does increase the likelihood of me purchasing something at the parks.

#15 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:27 AM

Think about it...not much is really "exclusive" to the parks. With WDW Mail Order almost everything could be shipped to your home. I don't get the big deal about making that option easier and more accessible to the general public.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

#16 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

It's been the same way with Disneyland's delivEARS service. With a SKU number, you'll almost always get the item, but without one, a good enough description will help them find it.

#17 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

I think this store is significant for a few reasons. First, this store actually has an interface. Calling people with descriptions and SKU numbers isn't a store...it sounds like a customer service hotline for people that forgot to buy something on vacation.

I also think that this store will probably only sell hints of of the parks offer. Most of us have been in the World of Disney Store and to offer that entire stock online would create a strange competition within their consumer products division. I imagine they're going to only sell park-exclusive items.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users