Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Boma

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

I had dinner here this evening and have to say I wasn't that impressed with it. It was good, but not great. I found only a couple of items that were good and found the food better at some of the other buffets around WDW such as 1900 Park Fare or Crystal Palace or Hollywood & Vine. What have you all thought about Boma?

#2 User is offline   Casey 

• Studios Regular
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

What didn't you like about it? I've heard such great things about this place and have it on my list of must-dine places if I ever get back to WDW. Which items were good? How were the desserts? Was it the S. African flavor/spices that were 'meh' or just everything in general? Would you recommend Jiko's over Boma? Can I ask anymore questions?

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

I'm a pretty adventurous eater but I found most of the food to be overcooked and under tasty (if thats a word). The chicken pepper soup was very good as well as the chicken curry soup. There are zebra domes that my fiancee swore by (didn't do much for me). There were these baked potato slices that were also good (I liked the seasoning) but much of the food tasted just okay to me. The prime rib stunk (best prime rib on WDW property is at Turf Club at SSR). The falafel were small and over-fried (too crunchy, not enough "stuff" in the middle). The salmon was good but much everything else I tried was just okay. Aside from the soups, nothing stood out as "wow, that was very good".

And I did eat at Jiko and like it quite a bit. Definitely go there.

#4 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the whole Boma-worship thing. It always sounded like everyone thought it was the Best Place Ever so we finally went there last visit...and it was ok. I didn't think it was a matter of things being too esoteric or even too watered-down in terms of flavor, but just that everything had that sort of slightly-dry, warmed-over impression that some buffet food gives you.

I think the only other buffet I've eaten at WDW was Trail's End which was fine for the price, but logistically complicated to get to, after having to both drive and take a bus to get there.

#5 User is offline   Casey 

• Studios Regular

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:22 PM

Thanks - maybe I'll try Jiko instead then. Most vegetarians tend to like buffets but I don't because you have to pay the same price as everyone else but get waaaay less so it's not really good bang for the buck. Secretly I wanted to eat at Boma's because I have heard so much about the Zebra domes and wanted to try them. I also want to check out AKL as that's another place I secretly want to stay at.

Thanks for the review.

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

I would agree there are more vegetarian options at Boma than at Jiko. I went with a vegetarian once to Jiko and I believe she had the kids mac and cheese :lol:

#7 User is offline   Casey 

• Studios Regular

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

The tough thing is that you usually get one choice and if you don't like what they have (say in my case, anything where green peppers play a major role) you end up with the kids Mac and Cheese. Water if you're vegan, I suppose. I'm not too terribly fond of coconut so the veg option at the Brown Derby didn't thrill me but the waiter spoke with the chef and they made me an awesome veg sandwich/panini thing instead.

The Jiko option looked pretty good, tho - this is something that I wouldn't normally eat or make at home (it doesn't come in a can or in a box I can chuck in to the m.wave)

Grains, Peas and Vegetables - kamut, pearl and black barley, wheat berries, quinoa, garbanzo peas, with roasted vegetables and seared tandoori tofu $24.00

#8 User is offline   kathyj0 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography, Disney, Travel, Scuba

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

We went to Boma a few years ago and I thought it was pretty good. I have a fairly limited palette, but I was able to find enough to fill me up.

And the dessert bar? Let's just say . . . I made 3 trips!!

My favorite buffet on property? Biergarten!
Kathy

#9 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

I absolutely love Boma. The soups are amazing. I like the watermelon rind salad. The place maybe my favorite in WDW
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

MJMcBride said:

I absolutely love Boma. The soups are amazing. I like the watermelon rind salad. The place maybe my favorite in WDW
The soups were quite good, but I can't say the same about the rest of the food (specifically the entrees)

#11 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

QuickGold said:

MJMcBride said:

The soups were quite good, but I can't say the same about the rest of the food (specifically the entrees)

well have to agree to disagree, like we do on the Prime Time Cafe, Sci-Fi, the Fantasmic Dinner Package, etc etc

Do you like Lights Motor Action?
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#12 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

I like LMAX. Don't love it, but like it fine.

#13 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

QuickGold said:

I like LMAX. Don't love it, but like it fine.

I find it very dull, hot and painful. I guess we disagree again
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#14 User is offline   quakercub 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:01 PM

I have to agree with MJMcBride!!! We love Boma!!!! It's probably our favorite restaurant at WDW. The salmon can vary depending on how they're seasoning it that night, but the other entrees (bobotie, beef, chicken) are usually very good. The zebra domes are great!!!!

But, if you're leery of trying it for dinner after reading this thread, try it for breakfast. It's the best breakfast buffet anywhere!!!

#15 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

quakercub said:

I have to agree with MJMcBride!!! We love Boma!!!! It's probably our favorite restaurant at WDW. The salmon can vary depending on how they're seasoning it that night, but the other entrees (bobotie, beef, chicken) are usually very good. The zebra domes are great!!!!

But, if you're leery of trying it for dinner after reading this thread, try it for breakfast. It's the best breakfast buffet anywhere!!!

sing it, brother
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#16 User is offline   Willful 

• Studios Regular

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

We tried Boma in August of 2006 and it was ok. But it was towards the end our trip and we had a long day touring. In fact I feel asleep outside by the pool waiting for our buzzer to go off! :blink:

We LOVE Jiko!! One of our favorite restaurants!!

We just weren't wowed by Boma, but since so many others talk highly of it we want to try it again...so we're going in June.

#17 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

Willful said:

We just weren't wowed by Boma, but since so many others talk highly of it we want to try it again...so we're going in June.
Agreed. Although I had a bad time, I'm going to try it again because of all the positive reviews it gets. The first time I ate at Jiko I didn't like it but the two times since have been fantastic.

#18 User is offline   Willful 

• Studios Regular

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:22 PM

QuickGold said:

The first time I ate at Jiko I didn't like it....

GASP! lol...just kidding. :blink:

QuickGold said:

....but the two times since have been fantastic.

That's good that you gave it another opportunity. That's what we try to do as well for places we don't have a "wow" experience...but there's so many great WDW restaurants to try that it's hard to get back to those "whatever" restaurants for another experience. :wink:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users