• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AK 10 year anniversary reports

#1 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

Well hello all!

Coming to you live from Orlando International Airport.

I arrived at AK around 7:30am. Not many people there (Except the crazy people for the Wild Decade which no one really noticed were there). They gave out a button (Like E25s) with a new logo for the conservation program with 10th Anniversary 1998-2008 across the top.

At 8:30 they let everyone in and many rushed to the Oasis area. When I got there (I took my time so I was just past the popcorn cart by about 10-15 feet) it was jammed with two stations for the press.

The safari truck for regular park opening pulled in with I believe the VP of AK and two very special guests:
JANE GOODALL
and (As a shock to no one)
Joe Rhode

VP rededicated the park and announced the new name of the conservation program.

Jane talked about how much of an honor it was to be here ten years ago and how much it's changed. Then said thank you to the guests using the same grunts and calls as gorillas apparently use (My Gorillaese is a ittle rusty)

Joe then took over and basically said the same thing, thanked the guests and how grateful he was to be a part of this project.

Afterward:
MAD DASH TO THEATER IN THE WILD!

The hour long chat with Joe Rhode conjured up some awesome concept art (And yes, even a few of Beastly Kingdom, NO IT WAS NOT ANNOUNCED!) of the park and the processes his team went through to get the park to what it is today.

In his word (Not quite the quote):
Eisner said, People love Disney. People love Animals. Let's combine the two. And that is how Animal Kingdom came into being.

Another quote (Again not word for word)
I had to go to the board and basically tell them the concept then ask for LOTS and LOTS of money.

Very entertaining. Very low key. Rhode said it best "All of this is for YOU, the fans"

Ill have photos once I arrive in NY. But Im sure most of the usual sites have video and photos all ready (Seemed EVERYONE was there from sites around the net)
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#2 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

IndyandMarion said:

Also, what are you hiding from us since the dragon has never been taken out of animal lineup on the poster for the park?

Rhode: Well, it was actually a mixture of both. To answer your next question. . .
*Pulls on a rope which drops a curtain hanging behind him, fire explodes across the stage, thunderous roar is heard*

Crowd: Jesus Tap Dancing Chri- Ai, Ai, Ai. . . I don't know what to say right now.

Rhode: Beastly Kingdom. . . Unlock the secret of this legendary land, Summer 2010 (Complete with real dragons)

Indy, I was under the impression that this announcement confirmed Beastly Kingdom within DAK whereas you clearly said it wasn't going to happen and that we should not hold out any hope.

With this announcement, you apparently lost the bet, therefore pay up.

Unless there's something you're not telling us... :ermm:
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#3 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

Just got back from Animal Kingdom, and I was with wdwcelebrations (indy&marion I know you seem to not approve). Like indy said it was a mad dash to the Tree of Life, I happened to have luck and found a bench where I stood (next to Island Mercantile) and saw the rededication. I loved Goodall and her monkey sounds at the end. Joe Rhode was awesome, the one thing that stuck is that he said that most people tend to rush through AK to try and get their money's worth and that's not the way to enjoy all the backstory that goes into it. I was lucky enough to get him to sign my Imagineers field guide to AK. He also had an official signing at 1pm at Pizafarri, I later learned that it was 1 hour wait for that. Other than that, alot of activities for the kids with the planet in mind. Got myself a 10 anniversary cap and pins.

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the reports Indy and yuliln! Sounds like it was a fun time...I wish I could have made it, especially the Joe Rhode talk.

#5 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

Yeah I missed the signing because I had a flight. I did love his talk, lot of great points. (Never said I didn't approve of the group, though I guess I made it seem like I did).

Snuggie's if you look at the date I posted the "Rhode and crowd interaction" it will be seen that it was before the 22nd, also that it was a joke because of how old and how many times we have to deal with the rumor.
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#6 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

yulilin said:

Joe Rhode was awesome, the one thing that stuck is that he said that most people tend to rush through AK to try and get their money's worth and that's not the way to enjoy all the backstory that goes into it.

He's right, there is so much to see and you really need to take the time and really look. The time I enjoyed AK most was a Feb trip. Since it was cool, I didn't mind staying there all day. During that trip, I saw more of AK then usual.

But our regular time to go is summer and AK gets so hot. It's unfortunate, but my normally my goal is to plan ahead, do what we came to do and get out before pass out.

I look forward to being able to go again during the cooler temps.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#7 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:01 PM

Being that hot in the Animal Kingdom is part of the theming. I'm sure its that hot in most of Africa and the far reaches of Asia!

Disney gives you the full experience!

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

Here is the video of Joe Rohde's speech: http://www.wdwmagic....joerohde_lo.wmv

Some interesting stuff there for us Disney nerds

#9 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

QuickGold said:

Here is the video of Joe Rohde's speech: http://www.wdwmagic....joerohde_lo.wmv

Some interesting stuff there for us Disney nerds

I really need to get my sound fixed - it drives me crazy that I can't hear anything.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#10 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

IndyandMarion said:

Snuggie's if you look at the date I posted the "Rhode and crowd interaction" it will be seen that it was before the 22nd, also that it was a joke because of how old and how many times we have to deal with the rumor.

A joke? :shock:

As the Genie said to Aladdin... "Well I feel sheepish."
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#11 User is offline   Blixzit 

• Studios God

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

I got there late. It was after 9am. I saw a few podcasters, (Ricky Brigante, and Lou Mongello), interveiw Jane Goodall, then I sorta followed the Inside the Magic/Orlando Attractions Magazine "crew" around to the Theater in the Wild, where I got in just in time, right before Joe came out.

I wish I would have known he was doing a signing. But then again, all I had for him to sign would have been the park map and my Environmentality hat. It was still a very cool day. Makes me wonder what, if anything at all, will be happening next year for The Studios' 20th....

#12 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:03 PM

Blixzit said:

Makes me wonder what, if anything at all, will be happening next year for The Studios' 20th....

The rumor I hear is that they are renaming the ABC Theater, The Matt Hochberg Theater
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

MJMcBride said:

Blixzit said:

Makes me wonder what, if anything at all, will be happening next year for The Studios' 20th....

The rumor I hear is that they are renaming the ABC Theater, The Matt Hochberg Theater
Be still my heart....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users