Studios Central: Flamingo Crossing & western property developments - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flamingo Crossing & western property developments New hotel and restaurants

#1 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

This kind of surprised me, but it looks like Disney is trying to develop land into a shopping and hotel district on the west side of the property. I guess the new development will be considered non-Disney property and give them an opportunity to have third parties come in (for hotels and restaurants) that cannot be part of the Disney property. They are selling the land to new owners, but the land will continue to be part of the Reedy Creek Improvement District. That's right, Disney actually has PERMANENT tenants. Very interesting.

Posted Image

Here is the story... http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_...y-worlds-f.html

Disney World’s Flamingo Crossings roadwork starts
Site preparation is beginning for the future road network that will serve Walt Disney World’s planned new lower-rent commercial district, Flamingo Crossings.

Contractors working for the Reedy Creek Improvement District are pushing dirt around outside the interchange of State Road 429 and Western Way, the western entrance into Disney.

At that interchange, Disney World is planning a 450-acre commercial area of small restaurants, stores, service shops and "value-oriented" hotels and motels.

Last week Disney filed paperwork with the Orange County Comptroller’s Office announcing property swaps that give Reedy Creek the land it needs to build some of the roads in the area. Plans call for Hartzog Road, which is mostly unpaved there, to be relocated somewhat and paved. A loop road will come off Hartzog to the west. The above picture, shot in late March, shows the area where the loop road will be built, along with a sign warning people to keep an eye out for indigo snakes.

Reedy Creek Administrator Ray Maxwell said contractors will be mostly leveling land and installing utility lines for the next few months.

Flamingo Crossings is to be built in phases over eight to 10 years.

Disney’s land company, Buena Vista Land Co., began advertising parcels in the area in November.

Plans call for 4,000 to 5,000 rooms in low- to mid-rise lodges — priced to compete with moderate hotels and motels off Disney property.

The 300,000 to 500,000 square feet of retail space at Flamingo Crossings would target merchants of practical wares and services that tourists, Disney employees and area residents might need, such as groceries, toiletries or basic clothing — thereby competing with area shopping centers and outlet stores that draw many visitors off Disney property. The restaurants might include a mix of fast-food and casual-dining franchises not common on Disney grounds.

Some more stories and images on this subject:

Your thoughts on this expansion?

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

The article you cited is from April 2008. Nothing has really been going on since then to speak of

#3 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

my understanding is that not one sale has been made
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#4 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

I remember hearing about this possible project several years ago (I think even before that 2008 article).... Until the economy starts to pick up, I just can't see them doing any major development. Heck, they can't even fill the empty spots left from the closing of PI at DD.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#5 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

This would seem like prime space. I remember reading somewhere that this development would serve most of Disney World's 60,000 Cast Members well. It would be a place where Cast Members and Disney guests could visit before and after a visit to the parks, or before and after work. A convenience like grocery shopping, grabbing a quick bite to eat, picking up last minute vacation items, etc. Also included will be more economic lodging for families.

#6 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

My apologizes for not realizing the post date of the news source!

#7 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

View Postsurfpark, on Mar 25 2010, 01:40 PM, said:

My apologizes for not realizing the post date of the news source!

no problem. I find it interesting that the project is now 2 years old and has apparently ground to a halt
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users