Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Have you been to Disneyland?

#1 User is offline   StoneGranite 

• Studios Regular
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:18 AM

I've wanted to visit Disneyland for a while now, and with the Happiest Celebration on Earth starting soon, I think this coming year would be perfect for a first trip. Has anyone else thought of visiting? How many of you fellow Walt Disney World fanatics have actually been to the original Disney park?

What time of the year did you go? Where did you stay? How did it feel being in the most historic Disney park? Is their Pirates of the Caribbean really that much better than mine...um I mean ours? :wink: What about Disney's California Adventure, is it decent? Any advice and info would be great, thanks! :mrgreen:

#2 User is offline   mandabella 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Disney, musicals, and jewelry

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:24 AM

StoneGranite said:

What time of the year did you go?

Over July 4th week last year.

StoneGranite said:

Where did you stay?

Off property, directly across the street from the main gates. It was cheaper, both cash-wise and DVC points wise. Besides we only wanted a place to sleep/shower. What I liked about the place is we didn't have to rely on a shuttle, we could just walk from our room to the main gates.

StoneGranite said:

How did it feel being in the most historic Disney park?

Cool. DL has a certain charm to it that WDW lacks IMHO. The amount of rides they put into their MK is neat! Honestly, I can't say DL is better than WDW or vice versa. I love them both. I hope to go back to DL in a few years! DL has my favorite Disney land, NEW ORLEANS SQUARE!!!! :joker:

StoneGranite said:

Is their Pirates of the Caribbean really that much better than mine...um I mean ours? :wink:

Yes, POTC at DL is much better IMHO. It's a longer ride. After riding it, you see how the WDW version is like an abbreviation. However, I prefer WDW's HM and Splash Mountain. Space Mountain was down for rehab, so I couldn't comment on that one. I like DL's IASW better, plus they have Alice and Pinocchio rides!

StoneGranite said:

What about Disney's California Adventure, is it decent? Any advice and info would be great, thanks! :mrgreen:

DCA is a "young" park much like AK in a way. DL is pretty old in comparison, it has had decades to mature to the level it is at today. I think DCA has great potential, but it's not quite there yet. I prefer DCA's grizzly rapid ride to kali rapids in AK.

If you are planning a DL vacation, I would give yourself a minimum of 3 days to visit the parks. 2 for DL and 1 for DCA. We did it over a 5 day period. Staying on property is not as "crucial" as it is in WDW. They only have 3 hotels there.

#3 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:47 AM

Has anyone else thought of visiting? Frequently :D

How many of you fellow Walt Disney World fanatics have actually been to the original Disney park? Me!

What time of the year did you go? May 2003, September 2004, September 2005

Where did you stay? 5/03 Off property, we were in LA for E3 and spent a day at DL, 8/04 Paradise Pier, 8/05 we're debating between Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian. It's great being right there, to me staying off property just isn't the same. Paradise Pier and Grand Californian have their own private entrance into DCA.

How did it feel being in the most historic Disney park? It was neat. You get a feeling that you don't get walking around WDW.

Is their Pirates of the Caribbean really that much better? Yes! (and this is one of my favorite rides at WDW)

What about Disney's California Adventure, is it decent? Yes, I had a lot of fun in there, it's a unique park with some great rides!

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:25 PM

Last time I was there, I was like 6 years old so I really don't count that. One of these days I'll go I suppose but no immediate plans.

#5 User is offline   greenwaterr 

• Studios Regular
  • Interests:power rangers

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:48 PM

What time of the year did you go? November 2001 and June 2003
Where did you stay? Hilton Homewood suites.
How did it feel being in the most historic Disney park? really cool :)
Is their Pirates of the Caribbean really that much better? Yes it is
What about Disney's California Adventure, is it decent? yeah :D my favorite attractions are Disney Animation, Soarin' Over California and Grizzly River Run :kermit: :mrgreen:

#6 User is offline   StoneGranite 

• Studios Regular

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:11 PM

Great, thank you all for posting! You've made my decision that much easier! :)

mandabella said:

If you are planning a DL vacation, I would give yourself a minimum of 3 days to visit the parks. 2 for DL and 1 for DCA. We did it over a 5 day period.

I think this is the plan I'll go with, sounds like enough time to really check out the parks without feeling rushed. Did you get to see quite a bit during the time you went?

disneyprincess said:

How do the crowds and weather compare during those months? I'd imagine this upcoming May will be busy, but how was it when you went?

greenwaterr said:

What time of the year did you go? November 2001 and June 2003

Which month did you prefer overall?

I'd like to plan a trip during a period when the crowds are lighter, even if that means some of the rides are closed. I think as long as I get to soak up the atmosphere of the park itself and see some of the classics (as well as Indy) I'd be happy. You have all been a big help, thanks again :D

#7 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:27 PM

StoneGranite said:

Great, thank you all for posting! You've made my decision that much easier! :)
I think this is the plan I'll go with, sounds like enough time to really check out the parks without feeling rushed. Did you get to see quite a bit during the time you went?

disneyprincess said:

How do the crowds and weather compare during those months? I'd imagine this upcoming May will be busy, but how was it when you went?

The first time I was only there for a day it was crazy busy since it's spring break for some schools and summer time for the locals, this year it will be worse since that's when the 50th celebration kicks off. It was also pretty warm out.

September we stayed for 8 days, and we still missed stuff (only part of that was due to rides being down for rehab). The weather was outstanding and the crowds were next to none. The longest thing we saw was Friday night 45 minute wait for Splash Mountain, most of that was AP locals. We picked the same time this year (other than it's slow at WDW so we can both take vacation time! :D ) because it was so nice last year.

#8 User is offline   greenwaterr 

• Studios Regular
  • Interests:power rangers

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:32 PM

then you should go in november we didn't suffer for the crowds as in june :) :joker:

#9 User is offline   mandabella 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:41 PM

StoneGranite said:

mandabella said:

If you are planning a DL vacation, I would give yourself a minimum of 3 days to visit the parks. 2 for DL and 1 for DCA. We did it over a 5 day period.

We saw and did everything we wanted to, except Space Mountain which was down for a total rehab. Some things we did twice and a few several times...mainly the Haunted Mansion and POTC. :mrgreen:

We were in the park on July 4th, and it was crowded, but not insane. I was surprised it wasn't too mobbed. We didn't arrive until 4pm.
We even got to ride the Matterhorn twice in a row without getting off on the 4th. We still don't know why/how that happened, but we were high fiving the other people in our car....woohoo second ride! :)

Fortunately we got 2 rides in on BTMRR before it got shut down again for another accident. We actually walked up to the ride and were turned away. Later on that night, we found out what had happened.

The weather was really nice. I even had a buy a sweatshirt for the evenings. I was little chilly, but my polar bear DH was just fine.

ETA: If you have any attractions that are a must-do, check to make sure they aren't down for a scheduled rehab. For example: HM goes down for rehab in the fall for the HMH makeover.

#10 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:02 PM

I was three, the last time I went but I'm going next may and I'm gonna make reseverations to stay at paradise pier so I may end up stealing some of your tips in here. :-)
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#11 User is offline   StoneGranite 

• Studios Regular

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:04 PM

Again, thank you all, you have been extremely helpful! I'll definately put all this new knowledge to good use. I've come up with a list of my must see attractions:

Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Indiana Jones Adventure
Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
The Disney Gallery
The Walt Disney Story
Main Street Cinema
Jungle Cruise
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
It's a small world
Pinocchio
Tiki Room
Disneyland Monorail
Disneyland Railroad

And I'd also like to eat at the Blue Bayou and possibly take the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour. Has anyone tried these?

#12 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:02 PM

I've done both, the Blue Bayou was awesome! I have yet to meet a person that ate there and didn't like the food :thumleft: We (DoctorSeeker and I) too the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour and with both of us as Cast Members and Disney history/trivia buffs, enjoyed it very much and found it full of information.

#13 User is offline   mandabella 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

Blue Bayou has a nice atmosphere, but we weren't exactly impressed by the food. One the night we went, it seemed many entrees had things I was allergic to...
I ended up getting some chicken dish, and it was so-so. Service was a bit slow and sometimes inattentive. This was at Dinner mid-week. I haven't eaten there for lunch, but they have the infamous Monte Cristo sandwich at lunch that seems to be a big favorite.

#14 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:14 PM

What time of the year did you go?
September 2001
June 2004.

Where did you stay?
In 2001, I was there for work, so I stayed at the LAX Hilton, In 2004, I stayed at a friend's house in Burbank

How did it feel being in the most historic Disney park?
Very fun!

Is their Pirates of the Caribbean really that much better than mine...um I mean ours?
Yes. But I like our entrance better. Its strange in New Orleans square. But the ride rocks.

What about Disney's California Adventure, is it decent?
When i first went, I expected it to be bad after reading the reports. But I liked it alot. I even liked superstar limo, which is now closed. Its a cute park.

My favorite part of DL is Fantasyland and Towntown. It really is what WDW's should be. I found adventureland to be super small, overall I like our Adventureland and Tommorrowland better. Autopia was great. and it make me hate the Speedway at WDW. Small world entrance is great, but I like ours inside better. In ours, you have large bodies of water, while in DL , it is like being in a canal.

I enjoyed our HM better as well.
I didn't ride Thuder or Splash, Indy was great. Space was great. Comparable to WDW. Not sure how the rehab will enhance it. TOT was strange, ours has the upper hand there.

I wish we had Alice, Mr. Toad, and Pinnochio. It was fun riding those.

The castle is small. not very impressive. but a classic.

#15 User is offline   StoneGranite 

• Studios Regular

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

disneyprincess said:

I've done both, the Blue Bayou was awesome! I have yet to meet a person that ate there and didn't like the food :) We (DoctorSeeker and I) too the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour and with both of us as Cast Members and Disney history/trivia buffs, enjoyed it very much and found it full of information.

Cool, thanks! It looks like I'll be doing both. I wasn't sure about the Walt's Footsteps tour, since I'm also into Disney history, but if you found it full of information, I'm sure I will too. By the way, I noticed on your title that you're a Fantasmic! CM. I attended a performance of Fantasmic! last night, I have to say, the CMs at Fantasmic! are some of the friendliest CMs anywhere and you put on a great show. :)

mandabella said:

I ended up getting some chicken dish, and it was so-so. Service was a bit slow and sometimes inattentive. This was at Dinner mid-week. I haven't eaten there for lunch, but they have the infamous Monte Cristo sandwich at lunch that seems to be a big favorite.

I've had that happen before, kind of ruins the experience. The Monte Cristo is one of the reasons I want to eat at the Blue Bayou, the first being the atmosphere. I think I'll do lunch, maybe they will have faster service? Thanks for the info!

Thanks velvet for posting, I didn't know the small world at Disneyland was like that - sounds like ours wins! :thumleft:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users