Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Newbie would love some help

#1 User is offline   Dimmsdale 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hi, I've just registered and I'm hoping I can find some great info about what to do at DHS for our upcoming Jan 2010 trip. It's our second family trip to WDW - me, DH and DD9. We never made it to DHS last October but I did on a solo trip this past March - only spent part of one day there. Since I was by myself I could do what I wanted but this trip I need to make sure DH and DD9 have fun. So if you could give me some ideas what not to miss and what is "missable" I'd be very greatful.

So here goes:
Must do:
- Muppets - personal preference & I want to see the update. Gonzo is my guy and the green one
ain't so bad either
- Idol - DH & DD9 are followers - could use an idea what its like and how long
- Tower of Terror and Rock'n'Roll Coaster - DD9's thing. I'd pass out before the ride was over
- Great Movie ride - DH & I are old movie buffs
- Some of the street performers. I caught the groundskeepers (sorry, can't remember the name)
- Block Party - DD9 is still into HSM - so we have to watch
- Any other ideas?
I did see the Walt Disney bio retrospective, Great Movie ride and the Muppets in March - those were what I set out to do.

Thanks
:rolleyes:

#2 User is offline   Mousekedude 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Disney, boating, fishing, reading, good music.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

The Beauty and the Beast Stage show is a must see. :rolleyes:
I'm not a Disney freak... I'm NOT, I tell you... no way.... you can't prove it....

#3 User is offline   FRD714 

• Here We Go! 5..4..3..2...

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Toy Story Mania is a MUST ride. You may want to hit that early in the day before crowds because the line can get very long. Lights, Motors, Action stunt show is neat, but if you're not into car stunts and explosions, then I'd pass on this one. Backlot Tour is something to see, but nothing special IMO. Star Tours is a fun ride, but it is a motion simulator, so if you get sick easily, this is not for you. Make sure you utilize fastpass too.
Frank
"We'd like to dedicate this to our friends out there in that superstretch limo...."

#4 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

The groundskeepers you saw are Mulch Sweat and Shears and they are usually on the Streets of America.

A little confused by your post about Block Party, next to it you wrote that your daughter is a fan of High School Musical. Either way, if you have kids that age I would make sure you see both. Get a seat on Hollywood Blvd for Block Party. It stops there first and that way you can get moving after it goes to the 2nd stop.

If you have a 9 year old you should probably do the Little Mermaid show too. Skip the Backlot tour. I'd probably skip the animation tour too.

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Welcome to Studios Central Dimmsdale!

In addition to Mulch, Sweat and Shears (the groundskeepers), be sure to check out the Citizens of Hollywood that frequent Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards throughout the day.

Definitely make sure you arrive at park opening so you can ride Toy Story Midway Mania with a short wait and you really ought to ride at least once Tower of Terror and Rock 'n Roller Coaster. I've said it before, but Tower of Terror is the best attraction overall at WDW in my opinion.

American Idol Experience is actually entertaining, but I would recommend you see the finale show (7pm) as it's far better than the day time shows, which can be hit or miss. With the finale show, you will see the best of the best from that day and generally it's a good show, even if you don't care for the television show. Arrive 20-40 minutes before 7pm to ensure you can get in. The show will last 40 minutes.

Some other things that are overlooked are the Animation Academy (you can skip the Animation tour as IHeart suggested and see it by going through the gift shop adjacent to the Magic of Disney Animation entrance), a meal at Mama Melrose and also see Star Tours before it closes for its rehab.

Feel free to post any additional questions so we can help you :rolleyes:

#6 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

Another cool thing for DD9 is at the very end of the Block Party Bash parade (during cooler months), after the floats go behind the exit gate (between Jedi Training Acadeny & the side of Backlot Express) they shoot BPB Nerf balls out from behind the gate that your daughter can catch/collect. You can surprise her with that little extra & it's a nice momento to take back home (and free!)...
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#7 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

My DD10 loved:
The Animation Academy...we did it twice in one day.
Jedi Training Academy...she was somewhat into SW when we went, is a SW freak now...will be a Jedi for Halloween
Fantasmic...check schedule
Toy Story Mania....one of the best all-family rides..DH, DD10 & DD5 LOVED it!
RRC...DH & DD10 loved it while DD5 & I watched Beauty & the Beast.
Block Party Bash...I don't like parades, but my DD10 loved being pulled into the street to dance w/characters
HSM...DD10 & DD5 loved singing & dancing with the CM.

Have so much fun!

#8 User is offline   Dimmsdale 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

:angry: :gonzo: :gonzo: :gonzo: Thank you for the welcome and for all the info all of you shared. Looks like I need to do a bit more reading and get a bit more familar with what DHS has to offer. But now I have a better frame of reference for the reading. Thanks again for being generous with your time and info.

Dimmsdale :gonzo:

#9 User is offline   April 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:01 AM

I love the HSM Show, it's a lot of fun if you like the music from the movies. My favorites are the Animation attraction and watching Luxo Jr. in Pixar Place.

You mention seeing the Muppets update, will the update be done by Jan 2010?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users