• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

#1 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

what does everyone think about WDW adding an entire land devoted to Avatar at AK?

Disney announcement

while I really liked the movie I'm a bit dubious about the potential success of the land for 2 main reasons... Disney mentioned there are 2 sequels in the works but I'm still not convinced this is a movie that will be a classic in 10 or 20 years. I just don't think it has sticking power. Construction won't even start until 2013. IMO it also seems to be an odd "fit" for AK and seems better suited for DHS since the entire park's origin was movie themed. Just ambivalent about this one. I think if the do a bang up job the positives will outweigh the negatives.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#2 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

Obviously explosive news! Avatar was a massive hit obviously to the tune of all time highest grossing film. The film wasn't my cup of tea but there's no denying the appeal it had to the masses. Disney was looking across town with envious eyes at Harry Potter at IoA and no doubt wanting to meet and top Universal with scope and scale in terms in engrossing the guest with a world already well established in film. This is big news, I look forward to hearing more about it.
-Josh

#3 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

I am so disappointed in Disney for this! This is the best they could come up with??? Lame!!! I realize there is a lot of people that loved this movie, and yes, I did not "get it". Never appealed to me. I can't see this having any lasting appeal to fans of it either though like Harry POtter. It just seems there are so many other options out there they could have gone with.

WHile I realize licensing agreements etc. prevents them from doing stuff with Marvel right now, it would be really cool if they could. I know my husband and son would go insane if they did! Watching them every time a new Thor, Capt America etc movie comes out is exciting. OMG, any little tidbit about the Avengers is like winning the lottery on Christmas morning in our house! They both liked Avatar but there is no bouncing up & down screaming excitement about it. Again, I realize it's just a dream!

Too bad Percy Jackson wasn't a big success in the box office. WOuld have loved to have see something based on that!

#4 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

I like the idea of adding a land to DAK. I would prefer the Beastly Kingdomme or even Australia, but I will take it

The one thing that occured to me was that Avatar is very very colorful. In fact, you could even say it is a wonderful world of color
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

There's no doubt that AK NEEDS a new land, new attractions, new dining etc.

So while I like the idea of expansion, I also feel that Avatar wasn't anywhere on my dream lists of franchises to build on. I think Imagineering will do a good job with it, but I think like so many other people, we don't have a problem with Avatar so much as we feel there were more deserving films to choose from.

#6 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

I think the Disney Co. has alot riding on the future success of this franchise...what will happen if it bombs? I always say that they are always behind on what they put in the parks ( American Idol after so many seasons on the air is now losing it's audience, Kim Possible not even on the air anymore, Honey I shrunk the Kids) but now it's a total leap of faith on their part.
I agree something with Marvel would have been great, even Percy Jackson, I mean, even if the movie wasn't a total success, Greek Mythology is always in, like Dinosaurs and Cars.
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#7 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

View Postyulilin, on 21 September 2011 - 11:24 AM, said:

I think the Disney Co. has alot riding on the future success of this franchise...what will happen if it bombs? I always say that they are always behind on what they put in the parks ( American Idol after so many seasons on the air is now losing it's audience, Kim Possible not even on the air anymore, Honey I shrunk the Kids) but now it's a total leap of faith on their part.
I agree something with Marvel would have been great, even Percy Jackson, I mean, even if the movie wasn't a total success, Greek Mythology is always in, like Dinosaurs and Cars.

Marvel doesnt really fit into DAK which is what was needed. This makes some sense but I agree, what if 2 and 3 bomb like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix for example. Then what?

Marvel would be great at Epcot. Heres 2 thoughts

1. Innoventions becomes Stark Expo

2. maelstrom add Thor and frost giants and more vikings
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#8 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:49 AM

Percy Jackson could have fit at DAK with the Greek Mythology/fantasy animal angle. And it would appeal to boys & girls. They could have still done something along that lines, leaving out Percy Jackson character, & still been a success I think.

Now that we have a 12 yr old boy, I can see even more how they need something to appeal to that preteen/teen male population. It was hard enough when he was younger with Princesses everywhere, it's getting harder now to keep him interested in Disney (GASP!) He WANTS to still enjoy & love WDW but it's getting harder for him to get excited about things there. Avatar certainly isn't going to do it for him!

#9 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

I think it would be less bothersome to me if it were just one ride or attraction. Basing an entire land on a movie that hasn't proved it staying power concerns me. I'm also surprised by the choice because Avatar was never geared towards families like everything else in the parks. I'm not a fan of the choice but we'll see.

Tim is most upset that this pretty much kills any hope of Beastly Kingdom becoming a reality.

#10 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

View PostFigaro, on 22 September 2011 - 06:49 AM, said:

Percy Jackson could have fit at DAK with the Greek Mythology/fantasy animal angle. And it would appeal to boys & girls. They could have still done something along that lines, leaving out Percy Jackson character, & still been a success I think.

Now that we have a 12 yr old boy, I can see even more how they need something to appeal to that preteen/teen male population. It was hard enough when he was younger with Princesses everywhere, it's getting harder now to keep him interested in Disney (GASP!) He WANTS to still enjoy & love WDW but it's getting harder for him to get excited about things there. Avatar certainly isn't going to do it for him!

I know exactly what you mean. My kids, DD10 and DS15 love going to Islands of Adventure and going into Poseidon's Fury, even if the show is a bit outdated the staying power of Greek Mythology is there, the attraction is beautifully themed.
And, I know that Marvel doesn't go in AK, I was just saying if they wanted something new for the resort as a whole, not just AK. I haven't seen the movie but my son has, he enjoyed it but when I told him about this he said he can't see how a land would fit with AK.

#11 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Our fearless leader was quoted in the Orlando Sentinal about the potential of Avatar at Disney World. WTG Matt!

"Even if I could make the decision to put AVATAR Land in Disney's Hollywood Studios, the reality is there's nowhere to put it given the size of the land that the project needs. There's certainly not enough vacant land within the confines of the park's boundries to do so and if you're thinking of knocking something down to make way for it, the only option is the Backlot Tour, but I'm not sure Disney perceives the Backlot Tour as needing to be replaced." Matt Hochberg, StudiosCentral.com

http://www.orlandose...,0,791172.story

#12 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

View PostADP, on 22 September 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

Our fearless leader was quoted in the Orlando Sentinal about the potential of Avatar at Disney World. WTG Matt!

"Even if I could make the decision to put AVATAR Land in Disney's Hollywood Studios, the reality is there's nowhere to put it given the size of the land that the project needs. There's certainly not enough vacant land within the confines of the park's boundries to do so and if you're thinking of knocking something down to make way for it, the only option is the Backlot Tour, but I'm not sure Disney perceives the Backlot Tour as needing to be replaced." Matt Hochberg, StudiosCentral.com

http://www.orlandose...,0,791172.story

Heh, thanks Aaron. It was a pleasant surprise when I saw it.

#13 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

Wow Matt, Orlando Sentinel...you're moving on up ;)

#14 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

View PostMJMcBride, on 21 September 2011 - 06:20 PM, said:

Marvel doesnt really fit into DAK which is what was needed. This makes some sense but I agree, what if 2 and 3 bomb like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix for example. Then what?

Marvel would be great at Epcot. Heres 2 thoughts

1. Innoventions becomes Stark Expo

2. maelstrom add Thor and frost giants and more vikings

While we still can't make Marvel stuff at WDW theres rumors of Stark Expo at DLR!

#15 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Good quote, Matt! Way to go!!!!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#16 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

View Postdarthstich, on 22 September 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

While we still can't make Marvel stuff at WDW theres rumors of Stark Expo at DLR!

Depends on the truth of the lincense, some reports say it only applies to characters used at Universal and that does not include Thor or Iron Man
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#17 User is offline   frontiersman87 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

I will admit that when I first heard the news about Avatar coming to Disney World I was excited and very interested in seeing how Disney was going to bring the visually stunning world of Pandora to live, but having a whole land in Animal Kingdom dedicated to it just does not sit right with me. Would much rather see it in DHS. I know that there is not a lot of room but they could get rid of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure and put it there. In my opion Avatar just seems like a perfect fit at DHS, as a way to showcase all the new technology (Digital movie camera, all the visual effect, etc.) that went into making the movie. Now I know that it is still early so maybe once we see plans and see some artist renderings, having it as a new land in AK will grow on me.

#18 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

On the plus side, I like the idea of a new land at AK. It will be colorful. It might even be interesting, imaginative & appeal to teenish boys.

On the negative side: it's one more example of Disney "hiring out." I didn't like it when they did it w/the hotels, the restaurants, but a whole land??? It's as if Disney has just become the land lord & leases space out to the highest bidder, then tries to sell the idea to the returning visitors as if it's part of the vision of Walt Disney.

In full disclosure, I wasn't a fan of Avatar. It seemed like combination of FernGully, meets Matrix w/ a hint of Pocahontas & then they completely lost me w/the name "Unobtainium."

I guess I'm jaded I just want my Muppets!!!

#19 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

I never saw Avatar, and have no desire to be interested in Avatar, but for a much different reason than most folks may think.

What happened to me was my friends were getting tickets in advance and I had neglected to let them know, thinking that I would be interested in my own right. As a result, I never went with them, thus losing total interest in the film as a whole.

As it relates to Disney, I think it's a bad idea too. It doesn't fit in Animal Kingdom, it's not a Disney property, overall Disney can do better.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#20 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

View PostMaxiBarns, on 24 September 2011 - 09:22 PM, said:

In full disclosure, I wasn't a fan of Avatar. It seemed like combination of FernGully, meets Matrix w/ a hint of Pocahontas & then they completely lost me w/the name "Unobtainium."

Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny--apparently they had already used "Cantgetnoneium" on the last planet.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users