• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I Love the 90's, The Disney Decade. 1991

#1 User is offline   Doctor Seeker 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Many

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:42 PM

I have been watching far too much VH1 lately and I thought it would be cool if we could do some free flow just remembering and goofing on the years that make up what Michael Eisner called "The Disney Decade."

I will defer to Amanda for this one.

mandabella said:

1991 Beauty and the Beast is released, but Howard Asham, who worked in different roles on this film, died months prior to its released. The man who gave a mermaid her voice and a beast his soul didn't get to see the finished product or accept his Oscar for Best Song.
Also this is the first Disney movie to have a "unfinished preview."

BatB is by far one of my absolute favorite movies ever...too bad a cannibal movie beat it for Best Picture. Okay, I liked the Cannibal movie too. ;-)

By the way Jacknife, if I were you, I would check your kitchen for fava beans and a nice chianti.

#2 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:46 PM

-Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant opens
-Team Disney Building opens
-Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3-D opens
-Disney's Port Orleans Resort open
-"SpectroMagic" debuts
-"Beauty and the Beast" - Live on Stage debuts (This was the first time the debut of a stage show coincided with the opening of the movie that inspired it.)
-Disney Vacation Club Resort opens (renamed Old Key West Resort)

#3 User is offline   mandabella 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Disney, musicals, and jewelry

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:36 PM

Doctor Seeker said:

mandabella said:

BatB is by far one of my absolute favorite movies ever...too bad a cannibal movie beat it for Best Picture. Okay, I liked the Cannibal movie too. ;-)

By the way Jacknife, if I were you, I would check your kitchen for fava beans and a nice chianti.

No worries. The only chianti we have in our kitchen is bad chianti. :twisted:

#4 User is offline   mandabella 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Disney, musicals, and jewelry

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:49 PM

Doctor Seeker said:

I have been watching far too much VH1 lately and I thought it would be cool if we could do some free flow just remembering and goofing on the years that make up what Michael Eisner called "The Disney Decade."

mandabella said:

1991 Beauty and the Beast is released, but Howard Asham, who worked in different roles on this film, died months prior to its released. The man who gave a mermaid her voice and a beast his soul didn't get to see the finished product or accept his Oscar for Best Song.
Also this is the first Disney movie to have a "unfinished preview."

Oopsie...I didn't realize each year of the 90s was going to be a seperate thread.

Also...I'm going by memory on the years. Certain years certain "Disney memories" stick out for me...1991 will always be the year of Beauty and the Beast to me.

Another BatB tidbit you prolly all know, Angela Lansbury only did one recording of the title song. She felt another character other than Mrs. Potts should sing and a producer persuaded her to record it at least once, and that's is the recording that was used. Although I kind have to agree with Lansbury, I never did care for her so that was 1 of 2 things I didn't like about BatB. The other, in case you are wondering, was the human form of the Beast. I got so used to the furry beastly Beast and then this "non-cute stranger" was kissing Belle! Belle deserved some more handsome I remember thinking in the movie theatre way back then....LOL!

Also...can you imagine the voices of Lumiere and Cogsworth being switched? Orbach doing Cogsworth David Ogden Stiers doing Lumiere. I know they started out that way, but I can't see it. ;-)

It was also BatB that persuaded me to finally see The Little Mermaid, but it was the success of The Little Mermaid that allowed BatB, Aladdin, and The Lion King to be made. Gotta thank that little mermaid! :)

#5 User is offline   Jacknife 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:01 PM

mandabella said:

Also...can you imagine the voices of Lumiere and Cogsworth being switched? Orbach doing Cogsworth David Ogden Stiers doing Lumiere. I know they started out that way, but I can't see it. ;-)

Oh! That was when Cogsworth was going to be a pocket watch with a dream of being a lawyer, and Lumiere was going to be a candelabra affectionately nick-named "Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester III"?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users