Studios Central: YOMD: Dream Hour in the Magic Kingdom Report - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

YOMD: Dream Hour in the Magic Kingdom Report

#1 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:48 AM

On Saturday, Oct 27th our family visited the Magic Kingdom. at 10:00AM we got fastpasses for Big Thunder Mountain. Our return time was for 11:15 to 12:15. We were very excited to ride Big Thunder for a couple of reasons. It is my Daughter's favorite ride at Disney World and it had been closed up until Oct. 24th. So during most of our stay at Disney World we had been unable to ride it.

At 11:30 we headed back to Frontierland for our fastpass time at Big Thunder. There was a rather long wait for fastpass standards. It took us about 10 or 15 minutes to board; which is unusual.

After the ride we stepped out of the train and out the exit where we were greeted by 4 Dream Team members waiving wristbands in the air and cheering. They informed us we had won an extra hour in the Magic Kingdom that night. They told us to meet in Tomorrowland at 10:00PM when the park was to officially close to guests. Needless to say we were very excited. I had read reports of other guests winning this prize, but never thought it would happen to us.

However, what I found interesting as we walked away was the other exit queue of the ride did not have any Dream Team members hending out the wristbands. So basically, if our train would have pulled into the other station we would have exited the ride where there were no Dream Team members and we would have not won the extra hour. Many people were exiting this queue with no idea of what was happening up above. Some people exiting that queue did see us and others with wristbands. Their curiosity lead them to our exit queue. There was a 5th Dream Team member guarding our exit queue not allowing anyone to sneak in from behind. Some guests were upset that they exited the ride and did not receive the extra hour. I can agree that if they were going to hand out dreams at an exit of an attraction it should include everyone exiting and not just a select few during a specific period of time. Some may disagree, but it just diddn't seem right and actually put these Dream Team members in a tough situation. I know this is a totally random promotion, but I guess if they were going to use this strategy they should have been less visable and more discrete.

After we left Big Thunder I told Kim (my wife) that since I was planning on going to the ToT 13K party that night I would probably not hang around for the extra hour. It would have been cool and something very unique, but I had been planning on attending the 13K party and really wanted to see what it would be like. Kim also had second thoughts, but I told her I would like to know what happens and how it worked out. So, despite the fact we were leaving the next day she decided to do it along with our Daughter Anna.

Everything at this point I received firsthand from Kim since I was at the ToT 13K party.

As they entered Tomorrowland around 9:45 others were exiting heading for the exits. I had asked the Dream Team member earlier how many wristbands would be handed out and he said about 3000. From what Kim could tell there were about 1500 people in Tomorrowland with wristbands. I'm guessing some people didn't show up because of how late the hour was plus the threat of rain.

At around 10:15 there was an announcement by a Disney official congratualting everyone and that the park would be open for an hour once they released everyone out of Tomorrowland. The extra hour didn't really start until 10:30. All of the rides, as you could imagine, were walk-on. Kim and Anna headed over to Fantasyland to ride some of those attractions. As far as park operations, some shopps appeared to still be open as well as some food vendors. The counter service restaurants appeared to be closed or closing. There were several characters out and about. Kim said Mickey, Minnie and the usual characters were around at different points in the park. According to Kim, the best experience of the hour was just having the park basically to yourself with very little foot traffic. There were points during the 45 minutes Kim and Anna were in the park where they literally saw no one around. To them that was very special. I can totally relate to that since it seemed like we were dodging people most of the day in the Magic Kingdom.

Since Anna was getting tired after a long day and Kim wanted to start packing for our departure home they left the park before the hour was up. They left around 11:15 or 11:20.

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the report Aaron!

An hour isn't a lot of time to do much, especially in the MK but I would have loved it anyway. Who wouldn't enjoy a few rides with no lines?

For anyone interested, there's a report and video here of what happened when a reader here won an Extra Magic Hour at the Studios.

#3 User is offline   biblio 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

Sounds like it would have been fun...but Matt is right. An hour is not much time.

My guess is that you would have needed to stake out a land and spend the time there.

I do miss the old "E-Ride Nights".
:cry:

#4 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

biblio said:

Sounds like it would have been fun...but Matt is right. An hour is not much time.

My guess is that you would have needed to stake out a land and spend the time there.

I do miss the old "E-Ride Nights".
:cry:

Boy, you're not kidding. With the way park attendance has been building over the last 2 or 3 years E-Ride Nights would probably be a huge success these days.

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:06 PM

biblio said:

I agree George. At best you could do Splah and Big Thunder in Frontierland and sneak in Pirates.

#6 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:40 PM

They do offer the extra hour at each of the parks! It's a pretty amazing gift as just think all those CMs and everything are there just for you!
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#7 User is offline   biblio 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:52 PM

The last time we did and E-Ride night in 1997, we rode Splash four times without getting out of the log.

After the fourth trip, we couldn't stand the smell of the log. Maybe it was us, though.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users