• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WDW vs UO

#1 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

Recently I decided to purchase AP for Universal Orlando, mainly because I'm a huge Potter fan and I thought the kids would enjoy a change of scene, another option. Last time I visited UO was 9 years ago, here are my observations:
I entered Islands of Adventure with fresh eyes, I tried not to let my love for Disney influence my observations. First I have to say that IOA is well themed, each land allows you to immerse in it's theme, everything from colors, to stores and attractions. On to WWOHP, being a huge HP fan I was excited and it didn't dissapoint. It seems you really are inside a HP book, everywhere you look there are smells, sights, sounds that take you to the HP world. The new ride is incredible, starting with its qeue, there are so many details here that you just want to stop and take it all in. Thankfully Forbbiden Journey has a separate line for people that don't want to ride but just tour Hogwarts Castle so you can take all the time you want.
Universal Studios is also a great park, not so heavily themed like IOA but still you could tell where you are by your surroundings (Hollywood, NYC) I found myself seeing many similarities between the streets of Hollywood DHS and Hollywood US. The Brown Derby, 5 and Dime, and other buildings are the same, of course both parks try to recreate the Hollywood of yesterday.
As to attraction between both complexes I have to give a big thumbs up to Universal Orlando, it has something for everyone. Awesome kids areas with big water features for the hot summer months that is lacking at WDW.
Now the big question: Which do I like more? After 2 weekends leaving WDW behind and taking in UO, I still like WDW better, here's why:
UO has great rides like I said before, I would care to even say that maybe better rides than WDW (Please no flames) but it all comes down to Cast Members and the overall look of the park.
I know that both Cast Members (WDW) and Team Members (UO) have similar training, but I think is a matter of enforcing and management. I found some streets in UO to have alot of papers, trash flying around and I didn't see a strong Custodial force as you see at WDW. Even though no TM at UO were rude they didn't have that spark that WDW CM's have. I also saw plenty of guests men without shirts and children without shoes thru out UO and it just set me off something I would never see at WDW.
Without being a psycologist I believe that the same guest behaves differently in each park, and you can see the difference. My own daughter started playing with a rope and sitting on it while waiting in line for Twister at US, something she would never do at WDW. It just struck me as weird behavior.
I can see myself spending hours sitting on a bench in WDW just people watching but I cannot say the same for UO. To me UO is more attraction oriented and WDW is more experience oriented.
Any thoughts?
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

I went to check out Potter this year and it is amazing. Well, the theme and the Fobidden Journey are amazing. The other 2 rides are just re-themed and not that impressive.

The rest of IOA/Universal is nice but it doesnt resonate with me like WDW does. Each time I go to one of the parks I come away with the same conclusion "That was fun, but I don't need to go back anytime soon".

#3 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

I got here at 10 today. After 2 hours we've pretty much done all of IoA. Harry Potter was amazing, but I'm reminded why I don't come over here very often. But hey, when tickets are free I'm ok with it!

#4 User is offline   dd_indy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

The first time I visited Universal, I came away with the impression that if Disney is a 10, Universal is about a 7.5. The team members are basically just doing a job, whereas (at least in the past) WDW cast members have a passion for their roles.

On the other hand, if you want really thrilling roller coasters, Universal has it all over Disney.
Share and enjoy!

Dennis

#5 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

Are there any ticket deals for Universal out there now? Over here they sell discounted passes at Costco and places like that, but I'm not sure if it's only for locals.

#6 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

View PostJeanine, on 05 May 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

Are there any ticket deals for Universal out there now? Over here they sell discounted passes at Costco and places like that, but I'm not sure if it's only for locals.

Not sure, I know there's an annual pass for non Fl residents but I can't find it. I think it is around $189. Do you have AAA? sometimes they sell tickets thru AAA
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

They sell Universal tix in places like Publix although not sure how much cheaper they are there

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users