Studios Central: A Newbie's Experience at SWW 2006: Trip Report (Sort of) - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Newbie's Experience at SWW 2006: Trip Report (Sort of)

#1 User is offline   toshbgosh 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

This was our first year at SWW ... and it was an experience beyond our wildest expectations! :woot: Before I get too far along (and forget!), I want to extend my sincerest thanks to Matt, Figaro and the Dark Lord for all their terrific advice and insights! Our conversations on the board paid off tremendous dividends for my DS .. as you will see!

Since we were there two weeks, I will not go into a lot of detail about our experiences outside of MGM-Studios and SWW. We spent our first full day at WDW scoping out the Studios in preparation for SWW. None of us (DH, DS 6, DD 2 or myself) had ever been to the Studios before. We decided not to try our hand at the Jedi Academy that first day since we would be there over two SWW as well as planning several other midweek returns. We decided, instead, to concentrate on hitting some of the rides and attractions, such as Star Tours, Muppets 3D and Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. My DS loved every bit of it ... but my DD wanted nothing to do with any of it, even the Muppets! (The 3-D creation of Prof. Bunsen Honeydew scared the daylights out of her! She also couldn't understand why all the objects were so close!) And while DS loved the aforementioned attractions, RnR and ToT were definitely out of the question! So, we called it a day about 2 p.m. and went back to crash at SS before dinner.

We returned to MGM a few days later on the Sunday of SWW #3. This time, we had my parents and sister in tow. We planned to hit the park early and, as luck would have it, we got in early enough to get DS in the parade! (I believe there was one vacancy left behind us. That was at about 8:45 a.m.) We also could have gotten him in the Trivia Contest at that point; however, DS has never actually seen any of the Star Wars films. He has only heard about them from DH and me (over and over again), and from a few books. We decided that the Trivia Contest would probably not be a good use of time this year.

As for the parade, DS loved it! I have a wonderful picture of him with the biggest grin on his face, waving one hand at the crowd, light saber in the other. He was in 7th Heaven that he got to keep the light saber.

After the parade, my parents were about to reach their limit, so we decided to go to Indiana Jones to let them rest and sit a while. DS was excited about the chance to see it again ... but I was even MORE excited! I was determined to get selected from the crowd after having seen the show a few days earlier. We sat in the center section, just above the video/sound support crew. The minute the "hostess" (the woman who warms up the crowd) came on stage, I started hopping up and down in the aisle, yelling "Pick me!" It was a spectacle hard to ignore, especially with my pink shirt and matching pink socks! I was the second one picked. It was a great deal of fun to see it from a different vantage point. Needless to say, my parents were embarassed, my sister and DS stunned ... but WHO CARES! I was a "star"! I even had a group of people ask for my autograph later in the afternoon as we waited for the bus ride back to SS! :)

We returned to MGM (sans parents and sister) on Friday of SWW#4 with the intent of going for the Jedi Academy. I completely brain-dumped the fact that Friday would be considered part of the weekend. So, after scratching my head over all the crowds for a few minutes, it finally dawned on me. With our late start, we missed the first academy session. And while we made our way near to the front, DS was not selected. (I did have a run-in, however, with a psycho parent intent on picking a fight ... but that's another story!) We decided to get lunch, then make an early appearance at the next show. Right after the Trivia Contest, DS and I lined up against the ropes for the Academy. We were able to get a position in the middle of the stage area, a great position for DS to be seen in his bright orange Hawaiian shirt. Using the advice of more learned SWWers (take a bow, Matt, Figaro and Dark Lord, DS jumped up and down. SUCCESS! He was chosen to fight Darth Vader ... which was great because he thought Darth Mull a bit too scary. And he acquitted himself quite well, not shirking at all from Vader. I was very proud of him.

Afterwards, we made the rounds of photos with the SW stars. The Clone Troopers were big hits as were the various bounty hunters. I have about a zillion pics, may of which are now adorning his Star Wars-themed room.

We did have a blast, and DS has declared repeatedly that MGM is his all-time favorite park! Maybe next time we can try ToT or RnR ...

Again, many thanks to Matt, Figaro and the Dark Lord for their help in making a young boy's trip absolutely UNFORGETTABLE!

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for posting that trip report! I'm glad our advice helped on your trip (that's what we're here for).

#3 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

Great report. If we helped then all the better. It is great to see the different things that everyone enjoys and it just gets me fired up to have another chat and plan the next visit. It is good to hear from you again! Star Wars Weekends is truly the most wonderful time of the year at MGM Studios.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

Clearly the chats we had worked so I'm also excited to hold them next year. Maybe Kim will actually show up for one! Or even for a trip where I'm down at MGM :P

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users