Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bigotry from Lucasarts

#1 User is offline   General Specific 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:35 PM

Recently I came across an article on a gaming website for an upcoming game that I previously had some moderate interest in, that being "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings". The article described it as being fairly good (for a Wii game) and I was pleased until I read this:

Starting in Sudan, Indy perched high on a sand-swept precipice, overlooking distant pyramids and a German encampment (you won't hear the word 'Nazi' here, incidentally, with the familiar swastika replaced by something a little more family-friendly)

The part of my body in which my German ancestry was immediately crushed. How is it less offensive to say Germans (in general) are a war mongering, evil people who steal artifacts from Jehovah himself? Rather than saying, "Yeah, it's those darn Nazis again..." WTF Lucasarts? I cannot (and most certainly WILL NOT) support a game that furthers the stereotype that all Germans are Nazis.

I, for one, would like the game to be changed to remove this oversight, and a formal apology to sent out by Lucasarts. What is your opinion on this matter?

#2 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

Half German myself here.

I don't see it as offensive. The Nazi's were a political party. The soldiers were German soldiers. Not all of them were Nazis. I had relatives in the German army who did not believe in the Nazi party at all, but they did their job. I actually find it much more offensive to call all German soldiers "Nazis". They fought for their country, whether they agreed with the ruling party or not. (Hmm, sounds somewhat familiar for US forces now) The game is historically correct it is a German Encampment.

#3 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:20 AM

I agree with Kim. I'm not personally offended and don't think the game is out of line. It fits into Indiana Jones' timeline wheel house so I'm not suprised that it continues to be something he encounters.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

Not to mention Indy is set in the 1930's and 40's, when Nazis were in power.

QUite honestly, Lucas uses the Nazis as an "absolute evil" to make the story line more compelling.

#5 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:36 PM

I think the point he was trying to make was that saying Nazi's is wrong (which the game doesn't) but saying Germans makes it ok.
I understand that Nazi's are supposed to be in the game, but I don't understand why they can't just be called Nazi's instead of Germans.
It makes the implication as if the two words are interchangeable (which they most certainly are not).
I'm not deeply offended, but I do think the whole thing is ridiculous.

#6 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

They shouldn't be called Nazis because they aren't. They are German soldiers.

#7 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

Why were you interested in an Indana Jones game if you find Nazi's offensive? Indiana Jones is fighting Nazis in almost everything he is in.

#8 User is offline   General Specific 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

darthstich said:

Why were you interested in an Indana Jones game if you find Nazi's offensive? Indiana Jones is fighting Nazis in almost everything he is in.

I don't find the concept of Indiana Jones fighting Nazis offensive. It's the fact that Lucasarts appear to be treating the word "Nazi" and "German" as though they were interchangeable.

#9 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

Was the comment actually from Lucasarts? Or was it from the gaming site writer? The fact that the game includes Germans who are specifically not Nazis seems like an effort to avoid stereotyping.

#10 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

I think this is the review you're referring to: http://wii.ign.com/a...9/979695p1.html

Its the reviewer that made the comment, saying that Lucas Arts are the ones that don't use the term Nazi or images of a swastika within the game. The reviewer is just stating a fact.

The question you should be asking is why Lucas Arts is choosing this route. The reviewers comment seems to be implying that Lucas is attempting to whitewash history, but that's only a guess.

Before you start getting offended, you have to realize that the game is completely fiction and very loosely based on real history. Lucas may be trying to side-step accuracy by making a Nazi-esque villain without having to actually include many of the real historical battles or key figures. Its like one step away from historical fiction.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users