Studios Central: Just came back from California Adventure and rode Tower - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just came back from California Adventure and rode Tower

#1 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:14 AM

So I decided to go visit my friend in LA and while there do a quick day trip to Disneyland to experience Tower of Terror.
I love Tower at the Studios so I really wanted to see how different the California Tower was and if it is better or worse.

To sum it up in one sentence - as an attraction to those who haven't ridden the Florida version, it can hold its own. However, for Florida Tower fans, the California Tower seems too much as an abbreviated version.

Here is a more detail description & observations:

1. Placement: Posts on many websites have mentioned that the placement of Tower is odd. It lacks the extended query of the Florida version and that it seems out of place. Although I tend to agree, for the most part, this didn’t really bother me. You can still get the creepy abandoned hotel feeling. I think that people are making too big of a deal on this subject
2. Lobby: The lobby seems extremely new and clean. In the sense, that it feels more like an attraction than an actual hotel. This somewhat bothered me. MGM’s lobby feels more like an abandoned lobby. I think the lighting also has something to do with it. Its just too bright and cheerful in the California Tower.
3. Lobby Elevators: Okay this bothered me a bit. Their lobby is set up exactly the same as Florida’s lobby – with 2 broken elevators. I thought – wait a second, doesn’t their tower have 3 shafts that disappeared? (being sarcastic here). It should have 3 broken elevators.
4. Library: Pretty much the same as MGM. I did notice that when lighting strikes, you can feel the thunder on the floor. I am not sure if that is the case in Florida, I don’t remember. Either way it was a cool effect.
5. Boiler Room: Okay, the reason they had to make it so HUGE is because there are so many people in it and you wait FOREVER to get in the elevator. The Florida Boiler Room moves a lot quicker. Yes its cool. No it didn’t really add anything to the ride for me. The face boiler looks a bit cartoon-ish – more roger rabbit than TOT. Also technically its strange that you’ll ride a service elevator on both the top and bottom of the same location. However, lisening to people trying to figure out how it works, the general public seems to think that there are two sides to the tower. It was quite funny actually, so I guess it doesn’t make much difference to the average guest.
6. Elevator: This bugged me. Before you board the elevator, there is a hallway. An un-themed hallway at that. The hallway is used for unloading. This kills the themeing.. Why would you go through these cool elevators doors, to pass through a boring hallway before you get in the actual elevator? This killed it for me.
7. Ride Itself: The mirror effect is cool. Is it better than the 5th dimension? NO. Overall the ride seemed short. I really enjoy the 5th dimension in the Florida tower. I love the starfield that turns into elevators doors. There is more suspense in the Florida tower. There isn’t enough time to build your suspense in the California tower. Maybe if they held you in the dark for a second or two like in Florida. (Technically they don’t hold you in Florida, but by this I mean the part where the elevator actually enters the drop shaft and you are in the dark wondering what’s going to happen for a couple of seconds). The California Tower just starts dropping too soon.
8. Drops: Are good. I think there were about 3 full drops. On the last drop, on the way up it slows down and each floor is illuminated. There aren’t any other effects added to the shaft like in Tower 4 in Florida (ghost statures, false ending, etc). At the end of the drops you hear a wrench falling. I thought that was a cute neat effect. I don’t think you hear that in Florida. There is no video like in Florida. Your elevator goes back to the same doors you entered from.
9. End of the ride – well this is what I said bugged me.. you exit the same place you entered, making you feel as if you were in a ride instead of actually going to another dimension.

Overall: It’s a good attraction. Definitely not as good as the original, but it can hold its own as a ride. I know that Disney hopes this will compete with Universal’s Mummy and also bring in more people to California Adventure. In my opinion, I don’t think it will successfully do either.

Questions? Comments?

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:41 AM

Wow, it seems like the DL version of ToT is pretty.....bad. What exactly is the theme of the hotel if it's not gloomy? Motel 6? :)

Thanks for the report Alex!

#3 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:36 AM

Yeah, I don't like the sound of that too much. I have the same question that Matt has. How does the interior of the hotel look?
-Josh

#4 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:21 PM

The inteior lobby is very similar to Florida. Except since their tower is a yellowish tone, its interior color is different. It is also more of an Art Deco Style than MGM's Spanish Style. Their lobby has a flat roof, unlike the arch in Florida. As I mentioned, what makes no sense is that there are only 2 "out of order" elevators in the lobby - when their tower has 3 shafts that disappeared. It was very bright in the lobby, not as dark as Florida. It also seemed very clean and too new. I don't know, maybe I was being too picky, but I was just at MGM 3 weeks ago, so I had it pretty fresh in my head. Maybe "clean" isn't the right word. To me, it looked more "plastic" and "fake" than MGM's lobby.

There is a really good video of the California ride here:
http://www.rollercoa...eos/tot/tot.wmv

and another one here:
http://disneyforever...a/dca/totv2.zip

Here you can see the hallway before the actuall elevator:
Posted Image

and here

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:06 PM

velvetdrug said:

Posted Image

Ewww....that hallway is so bland.

#6 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:53 PM

I don't like that hallway either. So you exit and enter there?

#7 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:36 PM

That hallway is very bland. Man, I don't like that at all.
-Josh

#8 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 07 June 2004 - 05:37 PM

trendymagic said:

yep. You wait in front of elevator doors, standing on your seat number just like in Florida, but when the doors open, you have to walk through the hallway to get into the elevator. Its the same hallway you exit when the ride is over.

#9 User is offline   mandabella 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Disney, musicals, and jewelry

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:20 PM

velvetdrug said:

trendymagic said:

yep. You wait in front of elevator doors, standing on your seat number just like in Florida, but when the doors open, you have to walk through the hallway to get into the elevator. Its the same hallway you exit when the ride is over.

Ugh...I don't like the sound of that at all. I like exiting from a different place than you entered.

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:49 PM

The hallway would be fine if there was a theme! Mission:Space uses a hallway and it works because they theme it. This looks like you're at a ride at Six Flags or something.

#11 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:55 PM

exactly.
What the hallway should be is completly black when you are loading. but its not.

#12 User is offline   TheTowerOfTerrorRules 

• Studios God

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:59 PM

Ughh. I watched the video and don't like it at all. It doesn't really even sound like Rod Serling! I like the original much better. Do they even have the video when you exit? I mean you don't even move forward!!!

#13 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:47 PM

No. there is no video at the exit. and you do move foward, but its only a couple of feet, you move back towards the doors where you entered (which are also the exit doors). Thats why in the video you see the doors getting a bit further away. Its about 4-6 feet max.

#14 User is offline   Jacknife 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

Amanda and I just took our first trip to DL/CA a couple of weeks ago. I prefer MGM's ToT, but I have to admit that the drop on CA's version was actually unexpected (at least for the first time we rode it).

I think that we both were waiting for the 5th dimension effects and ride-through to occur before we took the plunge. But other than that, the CA version did seem a little disappointing. As we approached the elevator doors to exit the ride, I remember thinking "That's it?".

FYI: I took a few snapshots of the hotel, but unfortunately my camera doesn't work well in low-light environments. I'll try to post a few of the descent pictures once I get home.

#15 User is offline   Jacknife 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 19 July 2004 - 06:32 PM

Okay, I've uploaded some pictures of Disneyland's Tower of Terror. I've had to enhance most of them within photoshop since my camera doesn't do well in low-light situations... But you should be able to see most of the details. (I had a lot of other pictures, but wasn't able to salvage any of them.) :(

Anyway, you my find them under the "Anything Else" area of the album.

BTW: I accidently submitted the wrong file for one of the boiler images, but I'm hoping that QuickGold will be able to correct this for me. :)

#16 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:42 PM

I don't think the drop will be that big of a surprise when I get out there, it's just Tower 2, I rode that a million times here. I saw it last year when it was still under construction, can't wait to see it and ride it when I go in two months :)

#17 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:46 PM

I think what he means is that the drop happens right after the hallway scene. So its unexpected. Not the actual drop sequence itself.

Have fun at Disneyland...don't expect too much of their Tower.

#18 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:54 PM

Ya, after rereading it, I see that :)

I've been there before, I'm sure it will be fun even with a ton of rides down for the rehab for the 50th. I want to see Tower more for comparisions and to relive Tower 2 :(

#19 User is offline   Doctor Seeker 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Many

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:59 PM

Maybe I can ride it. I haven't been on the Studios Tower since Tower 2.

#20 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:02 PM

I'll make you ride it :( even if that's all we do that day :)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users