Studios Central: Theme Park Lawsuits Frequently Filed and Rarely Go to Trial - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Theme Park Lawsuits Frequently Filed and Rarely Go to Trial

#1 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/florida-theme...-to-trial-3352/

The Orlando Sentinal report indicates that a total of 477 Florida personal injury lawsuits were filed between the beginning of 2004 and the end of 2008 against the three companies that run these parks. Most of the claims involve slip-and-fall accidents or other injuries that occurred on the property.

Over 20% (101 cases) of the Florida theme park lawsuits involved claims for a personal injury that was caused by a ride or attraction, including serious health problems like spinal injury, heart attack, stroke and death.

Florida theme parks are exempt under state law from state inspections and mandatory reporting, unless the injury results in death or immediate hospitalization of over 24 hours. The Sentinal found that only 9 of the 101 theme park ride lawsuits filed had been reported by the three companies as accidents.

Interesting article. It seems that most of the people that attempt to sue theme parks end up getting settlements. Oh yeah, it also cites Mission:Space as Disney's most dangerous attraction.

#2 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

surfpark said:

It seems that most of the people that attempt to sue theme parks end up getting settlements. Oh yeah, it also cites Mission:Space as Disney's most dangerous attraction.

I find those statments true lol.

Most folks don't get hurt to bad at theme parks and just sue them to sue them. Theme parks are usually pretty good with their settlements too

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

I have no doubt many lawsuits are frivolous in nature and are filed just to make a quick buck.

#4 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

QuickGold said:

I have no doubt many lawsuits are frivolous in nature and are filed just to make a quick buck.

Agree.

It's my understanding that in England if you file a lawsuit that is deemed frivoulous, you pay a hefty penalty.

I propose the same in the US... but moreso, you must pay for EVERYONE's time... the clerks, bailiffs, lawyers, stenographer, judge, etc.

I think the prospect of being faced with a bill for tens of thousands of dollars by state governments might make some people think twice for suing because they slipped on the wet sidewalk after it rained while they were running.

Would work for the State, too, in increased revenue.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#5 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

Well I don't know if the majority of these lawsuits are frivolous. Most of them are slip & fall injury suits. I think its always sticky when you try and attach a dollar amount to a lawsuit over an injury. For example, if someone is walking in Disney World and trips over some construction equipment and breaks an ankle, it might cause them to be out of work for a few weeks. I think its crazy when these suits ask for things beyond the wages lost.

#6 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

I can't think of a single occasion where I have even SEEN construction equipment out for people to trip over.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#7 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:08 AM

The thing is, if you trip and break your ankle walking down the street, the chances are that you will not sue. People see these parks as big money machines, and really try to find any excuse to sue. The result is that people with real issues get drowned in all the other ridiculous law suits.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users